Adding a new fish for my ten gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nreyes6316

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody. I hope somebody can give me the best advice.

I have been building my 10 gallons comunity tank slowly for several months in order to give enogh time to the fishes get use to new enviroment.

My initial idea was to put there 5 albino cory cats, 4 males fancy guppies and 1 dawrf gouramy as a center piece of my aquarium.

So after three months I have 5 cories and 4 fancy males guppies. This week I was planning to put the dawrf gouramy in my comunity but my fish store told me that it is dangerous for my guppies because Guramies are semi agressive fishes so he does not think that adding that fish on my tank is a good idea.

My tank is well planted and it has a lot of hidding spaces for my fishes. It is completely cycled (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate below 20). I do 30 to 50 percent water changes every 7 days with vacumm cleaning and I put little marine salt with every change. I also change the filter every 3 to 4 weeks. I also put tetra safe start every 4 weeks after a water change or when I add a new fish in order to help the biological bacteria growths faster. The temperature is set at 78 F. I think the tank is in a good condition. I have not lost any fish during that time.

My questions are very simple. What do you think about the store advice? And if he is right, what fish do you recommend in order to replace the gouramy as a center piece?

Thanks!!

dwarf gouramis need a bigger tank anyway

you are almost fully stocked you could propably add a couple more guppies but that is it

Personally, I have no issue with a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece fish in a 10g tank. Sometimes they can be a bit aggressive, sometimes they are little angels. It all depends on the individual. But, guppies can be a little bossy sometimes, so a dg and 4 male gups in a 10g may not be the best mix. You could try it, but I personally would not. That doesn't mean it won't work though.
However, I don't think albino cories belong in a 10g tank long term because of their activity level and adult size. Females can reach 3 inches and get rather round.
If you could get dwarf cories, they could work instead. There are 3 dwarf cory species that only reach an inch.
Your fish do not need marine salt. That is an unnecessary expense. Also, instead of changing out the filter, just leave it in there and rinse it periodically with old tank water to get some excess junk off. There is not a reason to keep changing it. Beneficial bacteria grow on it. Also, the tetra safe start is another unnecessary expense. Just use a dechlorinater with your water changes. The bacteria grows on its own. You don't need to keep trying to encourage it. Especially since the tank has been set up and established. :)
If you cannot get dwarf cories, I would leave the tank with the male gups and get some ghost shrimp.

you could also try red cherry shrimp if you wanted a little more color

and I wouldn't put a dwarf gourami in a 10g because that is the minimum tank size

if you wanted to you could return the guppies or rehome them and get neon tetras and a pretty betta

Thanks guys. I know 10 gallon tank is small for albino cories. I have them there while they stay less than 2 inches. For now I was thinking for the Gouramy but I see this is not a place for them so I will keep my tank with the fishes that I have already and maybe I will put one more guppy there.

Thanks for the advice!!

Good decision. It Wouldnt be a right fit for the guppys or the gourami. You would also lose out as some the fish may withdraw as a result of the addition of a more agressive and robust species. I am not saying that this would happen, but IMO, why upset the balance? In a ten gal, you do not have an amazing amount of room to play with. As suggested above, shrimps may be an interesting addition and will add another depth to the tank. All the best.

It seems that others have tackled the stocking issue pretty well, so all I will say on the topic is that I agree with most people that it probably isn't a good idea to add a gourami to your current stock and that the cories will need more room. However, I want to point out that cories do not tolerate salt very well. Adding any salt is not necessary at all in a freshwater tank unless treating an illness and it is bad for cories in particular, even at doses that other fish can handle.

Thank your answer. I will change cories when I have my other tank ready (36 G). Now I have 3 goldfishes there but I will move them to a pond so I make room for guppies and cories there. On the other hand, I won't add more salt to my aquarium.

Rhanks again!!

Thank your answer. I will change cories when I have my other tank ready (36 G). Now I have 3 goldfishes there but I will move them to a pond so I make room for guppies and cories there. On the other hand, I won't add more salt to my aquarium.

Rhanks again!!

Good moves all around! It's great to hear people housing goldfish well in a pond!

Back
Top Bottom