Anyone have red belly piranhas?! Post photos here! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say you need more than 2 there a shoaling fish and also prefer more cover

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about that any shoaling fish wild or captive will still do better in a shoal it's how they are supposed to live, due to there growth potential you'd need a huge species tank to hold the shoal therefore singles or pairs are advised when relax the fish isn't as happy as could be

There is no way without speaking fish to be able to tell what a fish prefers, they don't just use shoaling for protection they also feel safer and more relaxed as a group

Mine seem just fine and dandy to me!! Very happy and social. I'll take it. They are fine

Are you comparing yours to a the behaviour of a shoal you uursed to own or just that there ok because there alive?

Are you comparing urs to a the behaviour of a shoal u used to own or just that there ok because there alive?

When my brother first started with pirahnas he had 5 in a 150 gallon. He realized there was alot of aggression and easily spooked while walking past tank. He took 2 of the more aggressive ones out. Still some aggression but more social. Eventually one passed from being beat up. After that he realized he had one aggressor left that was bullying the other so he kept the bully and rehomed the other in a 75 gallon. The one that was being bullied is now happy and healthy. Needless to say i think in captivity they will be healthier when housed alone.

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And that tank had barely any cover also and tank was to small, there piranhas they are aggressive they are also a shoaling fish no matter what they should be in a shoal

5 in my book is not a shoal it's a small group, red bellies shoal in the wild, in public aquariums they are always in a shoal ( because they are a shoaling fish) the only things that prefer 1 or 2 are humans with tanks that are to small and do not have enough cover

5 in my book is not a shoal it's a small group, red bellies shoal in the wild, in public aquariums they are always in a shoal ( because they are a shoaling fish) the only things that prefer 1 or 2 are humans with tanks that are to small and do not have enough cover

I will agree with this. Piranhas in the wild are In spectacular shoals and have miles and miles of swimming room. I would think they'd need hundreds of gallons because they need those large schools and should be really active.

Angelbreeder leave this thread u are off topic and not doing or saying what's been started in the thread

I will agree with this. Piranhas in the wild are In spectacular shoals and have miles and miles of swimming room. I would think they'd need hundreds of gallons because they need those large schools and should be really active.

If we are going to get that technical, every schooling fish people keep should be in the hundreds but only keep 6 or more they say. So if piranhas should be kept in the hundreds what makes it right to keep a few tetras or loaches in these small numbers. I feel piranhas are almost like cichlids. Have one or one hundred. I cant speak for others but i know my brothers ONE piranha is very happy, well fed and in a planted tank with plenty of cover and open space.

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't own tetras or loaches and it's not right to keep them in small numbers, in my eyes 20+ is a good number,I see the aim as a fish keeper to be creating a world for your fish as close to the world they'd live in as possible,but maybe I'm not a good fish keeper I'm yet to see my fish smile, laugh or tell me there happy! If by happy u mean alive? Hi five for broccoli

Off topic but y cant i upload pics on my profile or use my bio to tell about my tanks it let me upload a proflie pic and thats it any one?????

Ahh winnipeg my favorite is Nestor's pets he treats his fish well and has a good selection.
Good to see a fellow pegger

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey angel breeder leave the chick alone man she's obviously providing better for them then the quality of life they'd have in the wild better diet and water quality who cares if they are a schooling fish in the wild what fish really isn't other then most cichlids lol ever heard the expression if you do not have anything good to say then don't say anything!!! On a side note I think your tank looks great and so do your rbp they look healthy and colors look vibrant with those signs I'd say they're happy :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey angel breeder leave the chick alone man she's obviously providing better for them then the quality of life they'd have in the wild better diet and water quality who cares if they are a schooling fish in the wild what fish really isn't other then most cichlids lol ever heard the expression if you do not have anything good to say then don't say anything!!! On a side note I think your tank looks great and so do your rbp they look healthy and colors look vibrant with those signs I'd say they're happy :) Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I think that member has left us;)

Back
Top Bottom