Aqua One 620

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billijaywest

Aquarium Advice Activist
how do i stop my new bottled water tank going green/brown and any tips you have on cichlids would be fantastic thank you
2755058514_864883a7c9.jpg
also how comes when i prchased my parrot fish over a month ago it was completly pink and now it has got black coming through all over the place

Last edited by a moderator:
provide some more specs on the tank.

lighting, fert and co2 (if any), water change intervals and how much, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, etc.

thx

help

provide some more specs on the tank.

lighting, fert and co2 (if any), water change intervals and how much, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, etc.

thx

on my testers its in the purple because ive recently changed the water how do i stop this

whats fert and how do i put co2 in the water and it is well over 100 litres

any advice would be great oh and ive got a normall light but i turn it of after 4 hours so that i dont get algae

oh and why is my perfectly pink parrott going black all over the place all of the suddern?

its every time i change the water it goes purple on my old tank i never had any problems

well everything fine the fish are all healthy none died

its just every time i change 10pcent of the water it is like starting a whole new tank setup again the top of the tester is the right colours orange and green its just the other three what are meant to be green go purple i think its something to do with the water turning green and oh by the way i only use bottled water
how do i make the water cristol clear?

what testing kit do you use? All of the colors you mention sound like they are in pretty dangerous zones.....ammonia test testing green means high ammonia and the nitrite test is really high when it is purple....maybe it would help if you clarify what type of testing kit you are using.

oh, so it is paper test strips...can't help you there then. I use API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals International) liquid test kits....sorry.

I'm kinda at a loss there...I don't know why your water is green especially if you don't have high lights or leave them on long...maybe someone with more experience will come on and help.

I believe that you stated that this a new aquarium setup. I suspect that your aquarium is still cycling and with that many fish added all at once you're going to need to do much larger water changes to get the levels down to safe levels (Ammonia and Nitrite under 0.5ppm). That would also explain the cloudiness, as it would likely be a bacteria bloom from the beneficial bacteria multiplying rapidly to catch up with the new food source. This is a good thing and will go away as the bacteria settle on the surfaces of your aquarium and in the filter.

You'll want to switch to liquid test kits as the test strips are notoriously inaccurate.

Also, is there any particular reason you're using bottled water instead of tap water? If your tap water is safe to drink it should be perfectly fine for your fish as long as you use a good dechlorinator.

i lost 300pounds worth of fish a year ago and i will now rather pay for clear water to be on the safe side the tank did do a full week and half circle when i first got it its just every time i change 10pcent of the water it goes purple its something im doing and i cant make it out how do you reccomend i try to speed up clearing the water?

Just a couple comments here.
It looks like you tank is set up near a window. How much natural sunlight gets into the tank?
Red parrots fish are cross breeds of chichlids, so the coloring might be due to that.
Can you get a pic of him, so we can make sure it is not something else?
There are no regulations on bottled water and they are know to contain tap water and other chemicals for taste. I understand you being wary due to your previous losses. If you find a brand, stick with it.
Are you running a filter?

no its in a cove away from the window really in the shade. yeah got two tetratech1100 filters running untill i get the top for my tank as that had built in filter uv the lot,

i will take a picture of the pinky tonight i was told it would be very rare if it goes completly black

Back
Top Bottom