Finally got Dwarf Puffers! New Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
My girlfriend and I have finished setting up and cycling our new Marineland Halfmoon 10g. Got a call from the LFS and got my new INDIAN DWARF PUFFERS! Yay... I'm excited because I always wanted some of these neat little guys! They seem to like watching us as we do them... Curious little fish and not shy at all.

In the video they make short work of some ghost shrimp. They team up like a pack of wolves on the hunt. They especially like going after the eggs the females have under their tails.

Here's the new video:
Dwarf Puffers - 10G Halfmoon - YouTube

Would u consider that tank to be fully stocked. Was the filter u had a fluval c2? If so, how is it?

I don't necessarily think it's fully stocked, there's probably some wiggle room in adding some Otos down the road or even another BB Goby. The Fluval C2 power filter is freakin awesome! I have an AquaClear 20 on my Edge tank which I love too. But the C2 (also made by Hagen) is like the AC filters but just more refined and updated IMO. I really like it better.

The only thing about Dwarf Puffers is that they are pretty messy and require good filtration and less stocking. So I'm on the fence about adding any more fish. Plus they don't get along with any other fish species other than BB Gobies and Otos. So that's why it's best to keep the DPS is a species only tank.

If you're interested in seeing more detail on the C2, check out my other video I made about seeding it. LMK if you have any questions.

Brian_Nano12g said:
I don't necessarily think it's fully stocked, there's probably some wiggle room in adding some Otos down the road or even another BB Goby. The Fluval C2 power filter is freakin awesome! I have an AquaClear 20 on my Edge tank which I love too. But the C2 (also made by Hagen) is like the AC filters but just more refined and updated IMO. I really like it better.

The only thing about Dwarf Puffers is that they are pretty messy and require good filtration and less stocking. So I'm on the fence about adding any more fish. Plus they don't get along with any other fish species other than BB Gobies and Otos. So that's why it's best to keep the DPS is a species only tank.

If you're interested in seeing more detail on the C2, check out my other video I made about seeding it. LMK if you have any questions.

Great video!!! Where and for how much did u buy your tank? I will most likely use your sane stock + one more bb goby. I definitely going to buy the c2 now.

Thanks!!! Got the tank at Petsmart for about $100. It's weird because it's not on their website anymore. However, you can probably find in the store, maybe on clearance if it's not on the site? It's a kit that came with the LED light, heater, and filter. I sold the weak Tetra Whisper filter that came with it on ebay. I was going to upgrade the heater that came with it too, but in the winter/spring it was actually maintaining 78F, so it stays for now.

The Fluval C2 I got for a good price on Amazon.com...
Amazon.com: Fluval C2 Power Filter: Pet Supplies

Awsome setup. Did they kill the shrimp or just eat it when it was dead? Mine lived in harmony with their house keeping ghost shrimp until I found the shrimp on my kitchen floor. It actually jumped out of the tank through the hole surrounding the filter house. I guess he just couldn't handle it anymore.

Awsome setup. Did they kill the shrimp or just eat it when it was dead? Mine lived in harmony with their house keeping ghost shrimp until I found the shrimp on my kitchen floor. It actually jumped out of the tank through the hole surrounding the filter house. I guess he just couldn't handle it anymore.

They killed the shrimp and ate pieces of it. Like they started with the eyes and the shrimp was swimming around blind. Then they started picking off it's antennae and legs... and at last, they just killed and nipped it for a good while. The shrimp started to decay so I took it out... entertaining to watch! :)

Here's an update on my puffer tank. Just found this awesome Crypt plant that I planted in the center. The puffers enjoy checking out what's new in their environment.. these guys are quite inquisitive!!!

7318398570_4be35953be_b.jpg

I keep adding more plants.. Think I might just have to start a new thread in the planted section... Lol

ForumRunner_20120731_200110.jpg

Omg! I LOVE this tank! This is what I wanna do with a dp tank! How many dwarf puffers have you got?

Samzter said:
Dwarf puffers, 10g tank :)

Sorry to ask you to duplicate answers I didn't read the entire thread before I ask.
I ordered pea puffers from lfs and when they came in I got green spotted puffers instead. I love them but they get 6 inches and have to be converted to salt water.
More than I bargained for but a good excuse to go to the salty side lol

Thanks guys.. I started off with 3 but ended up with 2. I tried to sex them at the LFS to get two females to one male, but accidentally ended up with the opposite. The scrawny male did fine at first. Than a week later he started too have sucked in sides and eventually died.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Thanks guys.. I started off with 3 but ended up with 2. I tried to sex them at the LFS to get two females to one male, but accidentally ended up with the opposite. The scrawny male did fine at first. Than a week later he started too have sucked in sides and eventually died.

You might want to get some parasite meds for them. I also started off with 3 now only have one, they had internal parasites when I got them and I didn't know till I had lost 1 of them. The second passed before I could get the meds.

Love the tank its wonderful!! I have been wanting some puffers for quite some time but have always ended up with community tanks but now I have an empty ten gallon and I think you just convinced me that it need some puffers in it!! Also I have been on the fence about getting that same filter. How is the water flow on it? I read that it has slower water movement for delicate fish and plants. I already have an aquaclear and I really like it but I would like to get another and that one caught my eye but I was just curious about the flow of it.

@brunettebaby... Dwarf puffers are indeed very interesting but not real easy by any means to take care of. So just know what you're getting in to and try to read up on the care.

As for the Fluval C2, I absolutely love it. I also own an AC20 on my other tank, which is great too. But the C2 just seems like an updated AC an I appreciate the modular designed compartments to customize the media to your liking. Only downside I can think of compared to an AC is that its warranty is 2 years versus the lifetime warranty with an AC. This I don't really get because they are both made by Hagen and their impeller assembly looks identical.

Anyway, in terms of the flow rate.. Its fully adjustable like the AC filters.

I picked mine up through Amazon for a decent price. Hope I've helped.. LMK if you have any other questions.

Back
Top Bottom