First attempt at an"aquascape"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrinn23

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright guys this is my first try at decorating an aquarium without the tacky plastic decorations haha. I know the middle is bare I just don't know what to do with it. Wanted to know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions feel free to post them!

Attachments

• image-3957660443.jpg
    image-3957660443.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 224
  • image-2978212116.jpg
    image-2978212116.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 263
Looks good. Depending on the fish you choose I like the open center. Is that a 40breeder? And what do you plan on stocking ?

75g and once my parameters all good to go I'm going to get a black ghost knife and keep him in here until I can get my 120g

I would go heavier on one side, have the open middle and go light on the other side. But don't have the middle in the middle (haha). Have it off center as this would make it a little more natural. If you are use some bigger rocks and/or driftwood, "dropping" them in somewhat randomly always looks nicer.

creic38 said:
I would go heavier on one side, have the open middle and go light on the other side. But don't have the middle in the middle (haha). Have it off center as this would make it a little more natural. If you are use some bigger rocks and/or driftwood, "dropping" them in somewhat randomly always looks nicer.

+1 offset everything when you aquascape.. when dealing with nature its best to work in 1/3s for measurements and odd numbers over even for amounts.

Alright thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna give these plants a couple weeks because I'm not sure how my lighting is gonna work out for them so we'll see what happens

Just stick with low light/low maintenance plants and you will be golden. There are tons to choose from that look great, don't require much attention and won't have you breaking the bank on more equipment. My tank is low tech and I think it looks pretty nice. Check it out.

image-3880916175.jpg

I once read an aqua scraping article that had some basic pointers (that I remember).

1. Don't try to make the focal point of your tank the center. It is better to put it closer to one side or another.

2. Using natural materials is better.

3. Stack rocks and driftwood to create one of a kind ornaments.

I don't know how much this will help but I found my number one to be the most helpful. The article worded it something like this. "If you divide the tank into fifths from left to right, placing your tallest decorations in the 2nd and 4th fifth are the best places with one medium one in either the 1st or fifth fifth. " I hope you understand that lol.

creic38 said:
Just stick with low light/low maintenance plants and you will be golden. There are tons to choose from that look great, don't require much attention and won't have you breaking the bank on more equipment. My tank is low tech and I think it looks pretty nice. Check it out.

It looks great btw!

So far I'm thinking my amazon swords are going to do the best. Maybe I'll just stick with them

Amazons are good. You can also go with plants like anacharis and hornwort. Super easy plants that grow fast and will fill the tank nicely in a short period of time. They will help with nitrates as well.

Hell yeah! And very fast too. I believe Amazons are a slower growing plant. I threw some anacharis in my 29 gallon about a month ago. They were about 5 to 6 inch stems. They are now close to a foot high, and reaching for the surface! I don't dose ferts or CO2, and my light is the stock fluorescent that came with the tank.

Sounds like I have got to give them a try! What are good plants that don't get that tall that I can put towards the front? Crypts?

abrinn23 said:
Sounds like I have got to give them a try! What are good plants that don't get that tall that I can put towards the front? Crypts?

Yes sir, crypts are my favorite plants. I have some crypt wenditii and it is short and good looking. I highly recommend it.

Definitely smaller crypts, dwarf pennywort and hygro kompacta.

Alright thanks guys! Are CO2 systems completely necessary if I'm not going heavily planted?

Back
Top Bottom