Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fishenthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,208
Fishenthusiastís 6 Gallon Nano Aquascape

It is time to take down my 30 gallon aquascape and do something new. Iíve had the 30 gallon for 12 years, so itís had a good run. I bought an Aqueon 6 gallon frameless glass aquarium, and I am going to run a low tech, no CO2 system. I plan on reusing the inert black sand that I have, as Iíll only have a few rooted plants at most (I can just supplement with root tabs). Plants that Iíll be using include a variety of Microsorum species, small Anubias, Buce, a moss or two, as well as some Crypts. Iíll be using a Finnex Planted+ clip light for lighting. In terms of stocking the tank, Iíll be keeping my Amano Shrimp and will have one other tank mate. Iím considering African Dwarf Frogs, dwarf Rasboras, a Betta, or an Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish. Does anyone know of any other good options? Iím new to the nano world, so by all means I am open to recommendations for stocking options. Iíve been studying up on nano tank stocking, but the internet is so variable that it is hard to come to a consensus on what is good or not for a 6 gallon. I believe Iíll have the tank up and running at the end at the month. Stay tuned!
__________________

__________________
fishenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 14,473
One of my favorite tanks is this size range (Edge 6.6G) I have had soooooo many different combinations for it (think I have 2 (rimless) de topped Edge tanks and 2 regular ones I am not using atm) And presently using a rimless 6.5G cube for my PRL shrimp tank. Am I a fan or what!?

Tip is to gently rinse the substrate. I fill up the 5G bucket in a slower steady way with treated water from another bucket. This slower adding of the water stirs it up enough to get the muck out. Slowly, a few buckets processing / dump out water a few times until it is mostly clear water to rid it of muck.

It will contain a good amount of BB which can be really helpful in setting up a brand new tank. And I wouldn't go crazy rubbing it around scrubbing it. Better to have a little yuck left there than strip the BB.

You could add some Tangerine Tiger shrimp too!!! They would be a nice orange color with the Amanos.

Anyhow if you have a pH under 7 naturally, you may be interested in a little fish called Neon Blue Sundadanio Axelrodi / Blue Neon Rasbora there are Green and Red varieties as well.

With a stable cycled tank you can get a group of these little guys and they are really neat with a little botanicals in the tank /tannins!

My favorite for the nano tank is the Boraras Brigittae / Chili Rasbora. Exceptional fish for the nano tank.

You could do the little CPO with the Amano but if it is cray with a rude personality, it might get cranky with the Amanos. I had one with my Dwarf shrimp and after it was rehomed my Dwarf Shrimp population took off! So They make me suspicious if in with shrimp.

Why I mentioned the gorgeous orange Tangerine Tigers. Great color and able to hang out with the Amano, with the outgoing / feisty temperament.
__________________

__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fishenthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
One of my favorite tanks is this size range (Edge 6.6G) I have had soooooo many different combinations for it (think I have 2 (rimless) de topped Edge tanks and 2 regular ones I am not using atm) And presently using a rimless 6.5G cube for my PRL shrimp tank. Am I a fan or what!?

Tip is to gently rinse the substrate. I fill up the 5G bucket in a slower steady way with treated water from another bucket. This slower adding of the water stirs it up enough to get the muck out. Slowly, a few buckets processing / dump out water a few times until it is mostly clear water to rid it of muck.

It will contain a good amount of BB which can be really helpful in setting up a brand new tank. And I wouldn't go crazy rubbing it around scrubbing it. Better to have a little yuck left there than strip the BB.

You could add some Tangerine Tiger shrimp too!!! They would be a nice orange color with the Amanos.

Anyhow if you have a pH under 7 naturally, you may be interested in a little fish called Neon Blue Sundadanio Axelrodi / Blue Neon Rasbora there are Green and Red varieties as well.

With a stable cycled tank you can get a group of these little guys and they are really neat with a little botanicals in the tank /tannins!

My favorite for the nano tank is the Boraras Brigittae / Chili Rasbora. Exceptional fish for the nano tank.

You could do the little CPO with the Amano but if it is cray with a rude personality, it might get cranky with the Amanos. I had one with my Dwarf shrimp and after it was rehomed my Dwarf Shrimp population took off! So They make me suspicious if in with shrimp.

Why I mentioned the gorgeous orange Tangerine Tigers. Great color and able to hang out with the Amano, with the outgoing / feisty temperament.

Great suggestions, thanks! I think in the end Iíll go with a group of small rasboras. I do like the look of Chili Rasboras and Dwarf Rasboras. One of them should look great against the greenery of the Java Fern. Speaking of which, Iím considering making this tank just a Java Fern tank (with some floating plants too). Itíd make the tank incredibly easy to care for, and sort of unique.
__________________
fishenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 14,473
That sounds fun. Needle Leaf Java Fern is slightly different and attractive! Check out rare / hard to find varieties. It seems that I have read about some I hadn't heard of before. Can't recall at the moment, names. I think there was a small one.
__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fishenthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,208
Fishenthusiastís 6 Gallon Nano Aquascape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
That sounds fun. Needle Leaf Java Fern is slightly different and attractive! Check out rare / hard to find varieties. It seems that I have read about some I hadn't heard of before. Can't recall at the moment, names. I think there was a small one.

I’m going to try to get Narrow K Java Fern and Java Fern India. I already have some Thunder Leaf Java Fern on hand, and it is a nice variety. It was hard for me to decide on which varieties to get. No longer is it just regular, Windelov, and Narrow Leaf. There are at least 10+ variants out there.

Here’s the Thunder Leaf:



I anticipate the tank being set up sometime next week.
__________________
fishenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishenthusiast View Post
Iím going to try to get Narrow K Java Fern and Java Fern India. I already have some Thunder Leaf Java Fern on hand, and it is a nice variety. It was hard for me to decide on which varieties to get. No longer is it just regular, Windelov, and Narrow Leaf. There are at least 10+ variants out there.

Hereís the Thunder Leaf:



I anticipate the tank being set up sometime next week.
That's a sweet looking java fern! I haver always been a sucker for the Windelov though! The chili rasboras are a great choice for that tank and are really cool fish too.
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 14,473
Cool variety! I haven't seen that type before. The leaf shape is wonderful..
__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fishenthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,208
Fishenthusiastís 6 Gallon Nano Aquascape

I set up the tank a few days ago. It has been running pretty smoothly so far. Right now I have a few Assassin Snails and Amano Shrimp, and will add more stock at a later time.

Plants:

Microsorum pteropus ďNarrow LeafĒ
Microsorum pteropus ďNeedle LeafĒ
Microsorum pteropus ďPhilippineĒ
Microsorum pteropus
Microsorum pteropus ďThunder LeafĒ
Microsorum sp. India
Mini Christmas Moss

I may add a tiny bit of Buce or Anubias to the far right front later. Iím looking to try Red Root Floaters as the floating plant for this tank. The filter is an AquaClear 20 HOB. Iím actually pretty impressed with the Finnex Planted+ clip light. It packs a punch for only $36, and while I canít adjust the light settings (besides a moonlight setting), there was no reason to fork over $100 for a light that would be supporting low tech plants.

Pics:









__________________
fishenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,541
Looking good!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 14,473
The differing plant / leaf shapes are good. I like it so far!!!
__________________

__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
6 gallon, aquascape, cap, fish, gallon, nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Fern-Dominated Aquascape fishenthusiast Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase 6 07-27-2019 07:56 AM
Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Tank fishenthusiast Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 364 09-30-2015 09:51 PM
Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Asian Biotope Tank fishenthusiast Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 193 02-09-2015 11:03 PM
Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Rescape/Discussion fishenthusiast Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 114 11-01-2014 11:22 AM
Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Tank Journal fishenthusiast Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase 27 07-28-2014 09:24 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.