Fishenthusiast’s 6 Gallon Nano Aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
It is time to take down my 30 gallon aquascape and do something new. I’ve had the 30 gallon for 12 years, so it’s had a good run. I bought an Aqueon 6 gallon frameless glass aquarium, and I am going to run a low tech, no CO2 system. I plan on reusing the inert black sand that I have, as I’ll only have a few rooted plants at most (I can just supplement with root tabs). Plants that I’ll be using include a variety of Microsorum species, small Anubias, Buce, a moss or two, as well as some Crypts. I’ll be using a Finnex Planted+ clip light for lighting. In terms of stocking the tank, I’ll be keeping my Amano Shrimp and will have one other tank mate. I’m considering African Dwarf Frogs, dwarf Rasboras, a Betta, or an Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish. Does anyone know of any other good options? I’m new to the nano world, so by all means I am open to recommendations for stocking options. I’ve been studying up on nano tank stocking, but the internet is so variable that it is hard to come to a consensus on what is good or not for a 6 gallon. I believe I’ll have the tank up and running at the end at the month. Stay tuned!

One of my favorite tanks is this size range (Edge 6.6G) I have had soooooo many different combinations for it (think I have 2 (rimless) de topped Edge tanks and 2 regular ones I am not using atm) And presently using a rimless 6.5G cube for my PRL shrimp tank. Am I a fan or what!?

Tip is to gently rinse the substrate. I fill up the 5G bucket in a slower steady way with treated water from another bucket. This slower adding of the water stirs it up enough to get the muck out. Slowly, a few buckets processing / dump out water a few times until it is mostly clear water to rid it of muck.

It will contain a good amount of BB which can be really helpful in setting up a brand new tank. And I wouldn't go crazy rubbing it around scrubbing it. Better to have a little yuck left there than strip the BB.

You could add some Tangerine Tiger shrimp too!!! They would be a nice orange color with the Amanos.

Anyhow if you have a pH under 7 naturally, you may be interested in a little fish called Neon Blue Sundadanio Axelrodi / Blue Neon Rasbora there are Green and Red varieties as well.

With a stable cycled tank you can get a group of these little guys and they are really neat with a little botanicals in the tank /tannins!

My favorite for the nano tank is the Boraras Brigittae / Chili Rasbora. Exceptional fish for the nano tank.

You could do the little CPO with the Amano but if it is cray with a rude personality, it might get cranky with the Amanos. I had one with my Dwarf shrimp and after it was rehomed my Dwarf Shrimp population took off! So They make me suspicious if in with shrimp.

Why I mentioned the gorgeous orange Tangerine Tigers. Great color and able to hang out with the Amano, with the outgoing / feisty temperament.

One of my favorite tanks is this size range (Edge 6.6G) I have had soooooo many different combinations for it (think I have 2 (rimless) de topped Edge tanks and 2 regular ones I am not using atm) And presently using a rimless 6.5G cube for my PRL shrimp tank. Am I a fan or what!?

Tip is to gently rinse the substrate. I fill up the 5G bucket in a slower steady way with treated water from another bucket. This slower adding of the water stirs it up enough to get the muck out. Slowly, a few buckets processing / dump out water a few times until it is mostly clear water to rid it of muck.

It will contain a good amount of BB which can be really helpful in setting up a brand new tank. And I wouldn't go crazy rubbing it around scrubbing it. Better to have a little yuck left there than strip the BB.

You could add some Tangerine Tiger shrimp too!!! They would be a nice orange color with the Amanos.

Anyhow if you have a pH under 7 naturally, you may be interested in a little fish called Neon Blue Sundadanio Axelrodi / Blue Neon Rasbora there are Green and Red varieties as well.

With a stable cycled tank you can get a group of these little guys and they are really neat with a little botanicals in the tank /tannins!

My favorite for the nano tank is the Boraras Brigittae / Chili Rasbora. Exceptional fish for the nano tank.

You could do the little CPO with the Amano but if it is cray with a rude personality, it might get cranky with the Amanos. I had one with my Dwarf shrimp and after it was rehomed my Dwarf Shrimp population took off! So They make me suspicious if in with shrimp.

Why I mentioned the gorgeous orange Tangerine Tigers. Great color and able to hang out with the Amano, with the outgoing / feisty temperament.

Great suggestions, thanks! I think in the end I’ll go with a group of small rasboras. I do like the look of Chili Rasboras and Dwarf Rasboras. One of them should look great against the greenery of the Java Fern. Speaking of which, I’m considering making this tank just a Java Fern tank (with some floating plants too). It’d make the tank incredibly easy to care for, and sort of unique.

That sounds fun. Needle Leaf Java Fern is slightly different and attractive! Check out rare / hard to find varieties. It seems that I have read about some I hadn't heard of before. Can't recall at the moment, names. I think there was a small one.

That sounds fun. Needle Leaf Java Fern is slightly different and attractive! Check out rare / hard to find varieties. It seems that I have read about some I hadn't heard of before. Can't recall at the moment, names. I think there was a small one.

I’m going to try to get Narrow K Java Fern and Java Fern India. I already have some Thunder Leaf Java Fern on hand, and it is a nice variety. It was hard for me to decide on which varieties to get. No longer is it just regular, Windelov, and Narrow Leaf. There are at least 10+ variants out there.

Here’s the Thunder Leaf:

rWCg7Ui.jpg

I anticipate the tank being set up sometime next week.

I’m going to try to get Narrow K Java Fern and Java Fern India. I already have some Thunder Leaf Java Fern on hand, and it is a nice variety. It was hard for me to decide on which varieties to get. No longer is it just regular, Windelov, and Narrow Leaf. There are at least 10+ variants out there.

Here’s the Thunder Leaf:

rWCg7Ui.jpg

I anticipate the tank being set up sometime next week.

That's a sweet looking java fern! I haver always been a sucker for the Windelov though! The chili rasboras are a great choice for that tank and are really cool fish too.

I set up the tank a few days ago. It has been running pretty smoothly so far. Right now I have a few Assassin Snails and Amano Shrimp, and will add more stock at a later time.

Plants:

Microsorum pteropus “Narrow Leaf”
Microsorum pteropus “Needle Leaf”
Microsorum pteropus “Philippine”
Microsorum pteropus
Microsorum pteropus “Thunder Leaf”
Microsorum sp. India
Mini Christmas Moss

I may add a tiny bit of Buce or Anubias to the far right front later. I’m looking to try Red Root Floaters as the floating plant for this tank. The filter is an AquaClear 20 HOB. I’m actually pretty impressed with the Finnex Planted+ clip light. It packs a punch for only $36, and while I can’t adjust the light settings (besides a moonlight setting), there was no reason to fork over $100 for a light that would be supporting low tech plants.

Pics:

S16XRIP.jpg

5Na1szq.jpg

EO8OHm0.jpg

LG6f1PN.jpg

NndUde6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom