Fluval spec tanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay! They arrived today. Yesterday my Cobalt Neo Therm heaters for these tanks arrived too. I will get started setting them up tomorrow night more than likely.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447982333.425237.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just read that in your thread. I'm excited to see your rescape!

Yeah, not something I'd been planning but I'm trying to make the best of it :rolleyes:

Are you going to start a thread with your new tanks?

Yay! They arrived today. Yesterday my Cobalt Neo Therm heaters for these tanks arrived too. I will get started setting them up tomorrow night more than likely.
View attachment 280927

Awesome! Can't wait to see them setup!

Well, one of the spec v's has a faulty light transformer. It hums really loud, varying frequencies and the light is way dimmer than the one that makes no noise at all. I decided to keep it unplugged for fear of a fire. I just emailed Hagen to see if they'll send me a replacement. I looked online and they are around $20 or so.

Still debating what the stocking will be in both. I plan on having these two tanks butted up together in a L shape (filter to filter) with a continuing scape from tank to tank. They will be on the kitchen counter in the corner.

I'm using this black substrate in both: http://www.activflora.com
I read about it over at the planted tank, and it intrigues me. Extremely small gravel. Really like large sand imo.

Excuse the extremely crappy iPhone pics (bad glare, etc)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448206794.190254.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448206807.793071.jpg

One of my transformers has gone bad also.
Over time but not more 1-2 years of not constant use.
I like the "L" idea and can't wait to see that!

What's the trick to keeping scum off the surface on these spec v's? I have decent ripples agitating the water.

Well, one of the spec v's has a faulty light transformer. It hums really loud, varying frequencies and the light is way dimmer than the one that makes no noise at all. I decided to keep it unplugged for fear of a fire. I just emailed Hagen to see if they'll send me a replacement. I looked online and they are around $20 or so.

Still debating what the stocking will be in both. I plan on having these two tanks butted up together in a L shape (filter to filter) with a continuing scape from tank to tank. They will be on the kitchen counter in the corner.

I'm using this black substrate in both: http://www.activflora.com
I read about it over at the planted tank, and it intrigues me. Extremely small gravel. Really like large sand imo.

Excuse the extremely crappy iPhone pics (bad glare, etc)

View attachment 281023
View attachment 281024

Hagen should get to you. My lid doesn't fit and they sent me a new one within a few days, it still didn't work so they offered to replace the tank. The lid covers all it should, just doesn't fit into the corners properly, so I decided to keep it since I had already scaped the tank.

What's the trick to keeping scum off the surface on these spec v's? I have decent ripples agitating the water.

I aim all the water flow to the top, and that helps. I also spray a little bit of hydrogen peroxide/water mix on the surface after a water change. It breaks up the scum.

I aim all the water flow to the top, and that helps. I also spray a little bit of hydrogen peroxide/water mix on the surface after a water change. It breaks up the scum.
Didn't know about the peroxide water trick, thanks!

I'll have to try this.

I have shrimp in one spec v. I have the pump on lowest setting with double layered netting over the outlet, outlet aimed straight up. Still get a little scum

In the other spec v I have a betta with the pump on the lowest setting with single layered netting over the outlet, outlet aimed up. Still getting scum.

Back
Top Bottom