Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cherokeeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,038
Fluval spec tanks!

I would like to see everybody's fluval specs. I think they're such interesting tanks, and I love seeing how people work with them! I've had one for about a year, and have reworked it several times, so I'll post a few of the setups. It was my first planted tank, and I'm super glad I got it!!

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...snf8cckhk.jpeg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...swxplscvo.jpeg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...sp0ycghva.jpeg

Please post pictures of your fluval specs!



Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
cherokeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
I really like the third shot (driftwood, betta, neons)!

Saw this one at a lfs while visiting my daughter in MI, it was kind of my inspiration to buy the tank:



My original setup was micro rasboras, pygmy cories, and shrimp:



Not long ago I redid the tank and moved it to my desk. It's now shrimp only (variety of Neos and CRS):

__________________

__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cherokeeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
I really like the third shot (driftwood, betta, neons)!



Saw this one at a lfs while visiting my daughter in MI, it was kind of my inspiration to buy the tank:







My original setup was micro rasboras, pygmy cories, and shrimp:







Not long ago I redid the tank and moved it to my desk. It's now shrimp only (variety of Neos and CRS):




Awesome!! What do you do to keep shrimp from getting sucked into the filter?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
cherokeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Hunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Texas
Posts: 419
They look great!

Thinking about ordering one of these today. Quick question. Does the top come off so it's completely open? How hard is it to use a different light? Any concerns about the factory filtration? Anything else you'd recommend with this tank?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Hunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Hunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Texas
Posts: 419
Ha ha. Well, I hope I like it like I think I will. I just bought two of the Spec V's to go in my kitchen.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Hunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cherokeeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter73 View Post
They look great!

Thinking about ordering one of these today. Quick question. Does the top come off so it's completely open? How hard is it to use a different light? Any concerns about the factory filtration? Anything else you'd recommend with this tank?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Top comes off to an open tank. You could use another light, but this was a great job. Grows plants really well with very little algae. I've heard of people using finnex planted +s for them and they get tons of algae. The filtration works awesome, always super clear. I'd make sure you don't get a huge heater, that way it can fit in the back. Also, you could get your own media for to put in the slots in the sponge. I had dwarf shrimp get into the filter with all the slots, so either don't have shrimp, or somehow cover the slots so they can't get in, but water can still flow well.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
cherokeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cherokeeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter73 View Post
Ha ha. Well, I hope I like it like I think I will. I just bought two of the Spec V's to go in my kitchen.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'll like it! They're great little tanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
cherokeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Hunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Texas
Posts: 419
Thank you for the info. I'm excited to get them.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Hunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeluvr View Post
Awesome!! What do you do to keep shrimp from getting sucked into the filter?
After dealing with shrimplets getting sucked into the Evlove 4 filter I did a lot of research on this one. I use a media bag with a sponge to cover the top/main intake. Blocked that lower intake with aquarium sealant before I did anything with the tank.

__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter73 View Post
They look great!

Thinking about ordering one of these today. Quick question. Does the top come off so it's completely open? How hard is it to use a different light? Any concerns about the factory filtration? Anything else you'd recommend with this tank?
The top does come off but depending on location of the tank it can be a bit of a hassle if you use the kit light. Depending on what you're planning to keep I'd do the mods I mentioned for the filter intake.

I found filter output to be strong, even on the lowest setting. I ended up cutting a number of holes in the tube that connects the filter pump to the actual output. Made a big difference.

I don't use a heater. Water temp stays around 73.5į which is great for my shrimp!

I do think the kit light is a bit dim but I have a dark substrate so that could also make a difference. Hoping to upgrade the light in the future!
__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cherokeeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
After dealing with shrimplets getting sucked into the Evlove 4 filter I did a lot of research on this one. I use a media bag with a sponge to cover the top/main intake. Blocked that lower intake with aquarium sealant before I did anything with the tank.




Ahh, that works! Did it not decrease your filter flow? I like the stronger flow. I aim it up to keep the top agitated.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
cherokeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeluvr View Post
Ahh, that works! Did it not decrease your filter flow? I like the stronger flow. I aim it up to keep the top agitated.

No, not at all. I actually ended up cutting some holes in the filter tube to decrease it even more. I have it aimed at the top but that just giving me a whirlpool! I really do like the tank but the strong output was mentioned by quite a few people when I was shopping and reading reviews. Definitely something that can be managed if neccesary and I wouldn't tell people not to buy the tank because of it.
__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 99
Not long ago I redid the tank and moved it to my desk. It's now shrimp only (variety of Neos and CRS):

[/QUOTE]

Very cool. I'm pretty new to aquariums. I have a SA/CA tank which, as I'm sure you know, doesn't allow for things like live plants and shrimp. That's why I've been eyeing the Specs for a month or two. If you don't mind me asking, what variety of plant and how many shrimp have you been able to fit?
__________________
peacelizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelizard View Post
Not long ago I redid the tank and moved it to my desk. It's now shrimp only (variety of Neos and CRS):

Very cool. I'm pretty new to aquariums. I have a SA/CA tank which, as I'm sure you know, doesn't allow for things like live plants and shrimp. That's why I've been eyeing the Specs for a month or two. If you don't mind me asking, what variety of plant and how many shrimp have you been able to fit?[/QUOTE]

The big cluster is najas grass, there are also a few dwarf sag and a lone anubias.

I honestly have no idea how many shrimp but there are a lot! I recently added a dozen CRS to the already existing mix of Neos. I'm hoping to start selling in the spring but if not it's a fun tank to watch!
__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cherokeeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
No, not at all. I actually ended up cutting some holes in the filter tube to decrease it even more. I have it aimed at the top but that just giving me a whirlpool! I really do like the tank but the strong output was mentioned by quite a few people when I was shopping and reading reviews. Definitely something that can be managed if neccesary and I wouldn't tell people not to buy the tank because of it.

Oh ok! I've always liked strong filters, and like buying bigger filters than needed, so this was perfect for me! But its for sure a sweet little tank!! I love how it's half the width of a 10 gallon, but just as long and tall. A bit awkward to aquascape, but once you figure it out, it's perfect for a desk.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
cherokeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Hunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Texas
Posts: 419
I think it seems like an awesome tank for sure. I can't decide what nano fish to put with some shrimp in one of these.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Hunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cherokeeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter73 View Post
I think it seems like an awesome tank for sure. I can't decide what nano fish to put with some shrimp in one of these.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

CPDs, ember tetras, neons/cardinals, Pygmy cories, Ottos, or chili rasboras!!


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
cherokeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
I've kept a lot of different nano fish. Some other options:

green rasboras (M. kubotai)
dwarf amber barbs
micro rasboras
male Endlers

My current favorite are pygmy spotted rasboras (B. maculatus). Really nice color, active, and peaceful with other fish.

__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cherokeeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
I've kept a lot of different nano fish. Some other options:



green rasboras (M. kubotai)

dwarf amber barbs

micro rasboras

male Endlers



My current favorite are pygmy spotted rasboras (B. maculatus). Really nice color, active, and peaceful with other fish.




Those little guys are sweet!! Where'd you get them?! Would love some of those!


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
cherokeeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeluvr View Post
Those little guys are sweet!! Where'd you get them?! Would love some of those!

I ordered mine from Wet Spot. I'd imagine a lfs would be able to get them in stock as well.
__________________

__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fluval, fluval spec, spec, tan, tank, tanks, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about fluval spec desktop tanks ajwetton Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 06-16-2013 04:56 PM
classklowns-Fluval spec build classklown90 Nano Reefs 56 12-19-2011 05:11 PM
Fluval Spec Pecktec Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase 16 07-12-2011 12:45 AM
Fluval Spec 2G Nano Shadey Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 7 06-21-2011 03:25 PM
Anyone with exp with a Fluval Spec? Jaybird Nano Reefs 2 05-05-2011 01:37 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.