Jack's 20G Long Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the initial filling the tank, you could place a bowl or saucer on the substrate and slowly pour the water in.
For refills after water changes, direct the water to one of the stones. Or you could get something like Lee’s Specimen Container, drill a bunch of holes in it and, use it as sort of a hang on colander. When you pour water into it, the flow will be broken up and diffused.
That is quite a turnaround with the LFS!

Regarding the tank size, I recently picked up a 29g and even though it has the same footprint as a 20g long it seems so much more bigger. I keep nano fish for the most part so a large tank was never a necessity.
The 20 long had a great footprint to volume ratio and was ideal for getting the most out of the lighting due to it being so shallow (12”).

I did fill it with a small saucer to not upset the substrate too much. There were still bits that floated. Weird stuff. I did use the stone when it got more full!

I will be mostly keeping little guys so I don't think I'll ever need anything very big. Maybe a 40 gallon is where I should aim my aspirations. Big enough to feel luxurious for the stock I want, but small enough to be manageable. We'll see how I feel when next year's dollar a gallon sale comes around!

I've always been impressed with the 40g breeder tanks. I think you would be happy with that in the future.

That seal looks sketchy. I've gotten bubbles on the outside of a seal but never that deep to the corner.

Is there anything I can do to make the seal more trustworthy? It's completely smooth on the outside and is fairly thick on the inside.

Ya idk. I've tried ironing out bubbles but it seems as soon as you add water and it sits for awhile the bubble returns. Without resealing it, I think you will just have to keep an eye on it. The outside looks sealed tight right now.

Most of my plants will be here today, so I drained my tank low in preparation. I'm so excited!

I went ahead and tested my water prior to draining and got interesting results. It's been running with the filter and light for 2 days. My results are:

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: Between .5 and 1.0
Nitrite: between 0 and .25
Nitrate: 0

My pH is high as hell. I guess the shrimp and endlers will be happy. Hopefully it's not too much for the cories. I'm actually surprised that my ammonia is that high when I haven't been putting anything in the tank. Seeing nitrites this early is also pretty exciting.

I love how involved and connected this whole process feels. I'm glad I've done the amount of research that I have. So far everything is pretty straight forward and understandable. I like that I get what I put into this project and that there are real, tangible ways to measure progress and success. I hope the luster doesn't wear off when I hit inevitable challenges.

I've always been really fascinated by micro ecosystems, both natural and built. That you can have decades of self-sustained life in a tide pool or cave system is amazing to me. The idea of building a vivarium, terrarium or aquarium that serves the needs of multiple species is so awe-inspiring.

I'll be updating again later with the planting process. I'm so ridiculously stoked to get something living in there after over a month of planning!

I'm disappointed with how the plant situation went. When I dropped by my LFS, someone had pretty much cleaned her out of all of her plants.

I gave everything a super good rinse before putting it in the tank.

She only had a little bit of java moss left in wisps that she chased around her tanks to collect for me, though she didn't charge for it.
ymBzuTW.jpg

I ended up pressing bits into the substrate in the back of the tank in a thin carpet. I'm hoping it'll fill out eventually.
oeq6sIJ.jpg

She only had a two java ferns left that the previous buyer turned down because they looked rough. She gave me both for the price of one.
1X9NIu5.jpg

I attached them to a small stone and am hoping they perk up. There are a couple of leaves that are starting new plants, though!
9tb6ASV.jpg

She did have good looking anubias petite that I snagged.
v2VgDDD.jpg

It is such a chore removing everything from a planted anubias! Though I will say that the hype is true. These things are tough!
kQQQfOX.jpg

I ended up threading it onto the driftwood stump and would like it to fan out across it over time.

She only had 4 frogbit left. I didn't want to be that person who grabbed the last of everything so I only took two frogbit, which she also discounted for me. It spreads fast, so I'm not too bothered. But it looked really healthy.
ktD07OI.jpg

The hairgrass looked decent and I got a good amount for the price. I cannot begin to express how much of a pain in the *** this stuff is. I tried to separate it into small clumps but it either refused to separate, or I'd just end up breaking off pretty much single strands. Then it was quite an ordeal getting it to stay in the substrate. I'd get one to stay and it would cause two more to pop right back up. It's all a crooked mess atm. It better sort itself out because I'm so not touching it anymore.
VmQ1jkf.jpg

The tank is pretty sparse right now as I expected a larger volume of plants.
7y7cgwT.jpg

She did say that she had more plants coming in next week and would offer me a discount then. I also have my buce coming in next week and that'll go in the mid right, in front of the stump, attached to that rock.

After getting everything in there, it seems like I need something between the left rock and the arch, toward the back. Also perhaps something between the stump and the arch in the back. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like something that isn't going to block too much light, or be longer than 8-10". There's also a filter back there that I don't want to block too much. Maybe mini Ludwigia on the left and Vallisneria or Aponogeton crispus on the right?

Keep in mind this is low-tech with low-moderate lighting and I'm a complete newb!

sorry to hear you didnt get what you expected. i can help you out with some java fern plantlets, a good portion of dwarf hairgrass and 2 anubias nana petite if you are interested. also have other plants im willing to part with for almost just shipping cost. message me if you are interested. i can provide pictures for all plants.

I now have all of my plants!

A couple of days ago, my bucephalandra green wavy came in from Plants Factory on Ebay. I'm completely happy with my purchase. I bought two and it says you get 1 free. Well, he sent me 5!

They were sealed in little bags, moist and then packed in two layers of reflective bubble wrap.
n6CsZ57.jpg

Here they are after a good rinse
HZuZIZS.jpg

I expected to only put them in the front right, infront of the stump.
P0JYeyf.jpg

But since I got extras, I also put a couple on the left and attached the extra to a rock from my yard (a chert flintstone with jade!). I'll be putting that in the 10G shrimp tank.
sxjxFmM.jpg

I also got an order from goatnad for some awesome ludwigia mini super red and some bacopa carolina. I got a lot of extras! They were packed well in double ziplock bags and moist paper towel.
85O06zy.jpg

pBJuvUz.jpg

Unfortunately I missed when the post arrived so they sat in the super hot mailbox for a couple hours. The ludwigia clearly did not like the heat, but who can blame it? It's still beautifully colored and I'm hoping it'll bounce back.
rozVlad.jpg

The bacopa couldn't care less about the heat.
fTyG1Oc.jpg

These additions were exactly what I needed to fill out my tank and I'm so happy with how it looks now.
fjNkgEZ.jpg

Only downside is that the frogbit really doesn't like my air filters. Even with me placing it in front of the stump, it's dying from the current. :(
YYselxc.jpg

I also had to move around some hairgrass and noticed that it's starting to root! Now I just have to wait for the cycle to finish. So excited!

glad you are happy with the plants. as for the ludwigia as long as they arent mushy they should bounce right back. they dont look bad from the pics so i think they will be fine. for your frogbit you cant keep the tops wet for to long or they will die off. personally not a big fan of frogbit. i like dwarf water lettuce, salvina minima or my favorite azolla. glad your buce from plant factory came in great shape and you got extras. ive been eyeballing his ebay adds for the last 3 weeks :). now i know to trust it. ty for that. your tank is looking better every day. keep up the great work.(y)

Congrats on the new plants. The B caroliniana and Ludwigia contrast each other well. They should be able to fill up the back wall.
Frogbit grows okay in a couple of my tanks, but not in all. Current not tolerated well. Earlier this month I removed enough of it to fill a 5g bucket when I broke down my small pond. I could not salvage it or bring it to the LFS. It sat in the bucket too long and the heat got to it.

I love the idea of a floating plant, but it may not be practical for my setup. Both water lettuce and salvinia are illegal in Texas as a noxious weed. I went with frogbit as an alternative that looked similar as I actually quite like water lettuce. Oh well . . .

Did a 75% water change today. Didn't test my water parameters since I did a few days ago. Here were the results then:

8/26
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite .5-1.0
Nitrate 0

Obviously the plants are starting to process the ammonia but no bacteria is producing nitrates yet. Has my tank even started cycling with these numbers? I'm using the fish food method, but I may just break down and buy some aquarium ammonia.

The water smelled a bit like a pond with a slight fishiness despite lack of fish. It's interesting what smells we associate with fish that have nothing to do with them.

No algae yet, but I do have harmless white/grey mold on one of the pieces of mopani.

One of the bucephalandra is making a new leaf, but I'm concerned about the java fern. I'm not sure how long it takes to die if it's dying. I don't know if no change is good news or if it should have recovered by now. There is slight melt on the smaller leaves. I may just buy another fern from Plants Factory, since I was quite happy with the buce.

The ludwigia is recovering well, with leaves reaching up toward the light.

I have a couple of pieces of wood that I'm attempting to season outside. They are in a tub of water that I change daily, in the sun. One is a branch of silver maple that I stripped of bark and have been soaking for about 2 weeks now. It's a bit...slippery/slimy on the outside now and parts of it have a pallid film. Then there's two pieces of ashe juniper that I found out hiking. The juniper is finally waterlogged and has been soaking for over a week.

I plan to boil them all tomorrow and set them to soak some more. When should these be safe to add? Is there a tell-tale sign that they're ready? I know that some people say it takes months, while others say weeks. I'm sure it depends on the species.

I think so as well - and I guess how long dead the wood is. I found some fish get spasms if issues but other fish in tank will look fine.

It has begun!

I did water tests today and we have nitrifying bacteria!

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 5+
Nitrate: 0-5.0
KH: 6°/107ppm
GH: 9°/160ppm

The water isn't as hard as I thought it would be, so that's good news. It's well within the range for all of the animals that I intend to add. I do think, however, that my mopani is softening it quite a bit, so I'm going to perform a test of just my tap water later this week.

I have some ammonia chloride coming in at some point in the next week. I'm quite miffed that it's taking so long despite me ordering it days ago. It's likely that by the time it arrives, I won't really need it.

I'm assuming that I'll be cycled in about another week and a half. So awesome!

I am starting to get some very fine, pale, long, wispy algae on some of the hair grass. It's weird because it's the pieces that get the least light and are going yellow. I can't decide if they are susceptible to algae because they are doing poorly or visa versa.

Back
Top Bottom