Jack's 20G Long Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good news is the night temp is raising.....28-34 degrees over the next couple weeks and winter is just getting started. Lol. Welcome to living at 5600 feet.

It's usually pretty mild here, but when seasons change, it's literally over night.

The backup heater came in today and I'm watching it like a hawk to make sure it's calibrated properly. I'd really like to do another water change today, but I'm concerned that I'm stressing them way too much. I'll do some waste vacuuming and sponge cleaning and will leave them alone for the evening.

In other news; the snails have found the driftwood. It's surprisingly rewarding watching them go about their slow business.

Update time!

The QT cories joined the ranks with no issues. They are still far more skittish than the others ever were, which is interesting, but they're coming around.

I still have the tiny wisps of BBA trying to gain a foothold, so I'm slowly scaling back my lighting hours until it can't keep up with my cleaning.

The nerites have done an amazing job with all the other algae and the driftwood is now spotless.

The ludwigia has officially reached the top of the water and needs trimming. I'll replant the trimmings. It's looking great.

The bacopa has reached the max of what I want to replant, so I will be taking the cuttings to my LFS. I'm not sure how that will work. I asked if they will take my plant trimming and they said yes, but I didn't get any more information than that. Should I assume I'm just giving it as charity, or should I expect compensation . . . ?

XnaHtId.jpg

Check out the clean driftwood and wall of bacopa!

I also have exciting news; one of the shrimps is gravid! I noticed earlier today that one of the reds has a big ol' belly of eggs. I don't expect any to make it to adulthood in a community tank, but it's still super exciting to see that the conditions are right for them.

JQMvtYD.jpg

Here is the expectant mother!

Nice update. Impressive the way the Nerite snails are keeping everything clean. No sign of white “sesame seed” snail eggs anywhere?
You can spot treat the BBA with H2O2.
I used to sell trimmings to folks on this forum, to a local fish club, and occasionally would bring some to the LFS. They would give me a 20% discount coupon whether I brought in a few or a ton of plants.

Nope, no sign of snail eggs. It's entirely possible that I have two males.

Good to know about the discount. I don't feel comfortable enough selling to other people yet. I'm terrible at feeling like anything I produce is worth money! I got them from goatnad, also and wouldn't want to take away from his sales.

No, only the females lay eggs. They are one of the few snail species in which there are males and females. So it's possible that I have no eggs because I have no females.

Regardless, even if one or both are female and do lay eggs, they do not successfully breed in fresh water. They are, essentially, infertile.

Love the Bacopa wall, and the DW looks sqeaky clean!!!

Usually lfs doesn't buy common plants, but they will take them. Being part of fish club or local buy and sell online. Often people love to be able to buy these kinds of plants from local hobbyists. I would think a reasonable price. Sometimes you can trade for other plants or things you would like.

Nope, no sign of snail eggs. It's entirely possible that I have two males.

Good to know about the discount. I don't feel comfortable enough selling to other people yet. I'm terrible at feeling like anything I produce is worth money! I got them from goatnad, also and wouldn't want to take away from his sales.

The forum is here for us all bud and I wouldn't feel at all like you were taking business from me. I say sell it if you can. Tank is looking great and congrats on the shrimp!(y)

The forum is here for us all bud and I wouldn't feel at all like you were taking business from me. I say sell it if you can. Tank is looking great and congrats on the shrimp!(y)

I agree. You (OP) are providing more options for folks to obtain plants and that’s a good thing.

Shocking news!

I was doing my monthly large water change and picking off annoying wisps of black beard algae when something darted out of the anubias. A shrimplet!

After looking carefully, I found at least 4 distinct individuals, no more than half the length of a grain of rice. I'm sure there are more hiding. I think the individuals I saw are a little too big and fast for the majority of the endlers to bother anymore.

Fearing that I'd suck them all up, I did a careful 25% water change and will see how things are in another week. My nitrates were at approx. 30 before the change which concerns me, but I don't want to risk a bigger change right now.

I didn't think any of the shrimplets would survive past the first couple days of hatching. How exciting!

Smaller more frequent pwc are great with shrimp to keep the new and old water more similar, to avoid shocking them. Really they should be hardy enough.

Great news it is always wonderful to see new shrimplets! congrats (y)

I unfortunately had my first death from my main tank. Checked in this morning and found the smallest one of the Endler's dead. Same fish was swimming around and eating normally yesterday.

I immediately removed the body and tested all of my parameters. The nitrates were a bit high, like I expected since I did a small WC last week. Everything else was great, so I'm not sure what the issue might be. Water only slightly softer than my hard tap, same as it's always been. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites. pH same as always. The temps were a tad high, but not concerning. It maxed out at 78 over the past couple of days and the Endler's are the most heat resistant, so it couldn't be that.

I did a 50% WC and am keeping an eye on things.

At this point, I'm just going to assume it's a fluke.

Back
Top Bottom