JOM's 40g breeder rescape (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I decided last week to change my substrate and rescape my 40 breeder....I'm not sure what I was thinking though. :rolleyes: It does look a ton better but it was way too much work, especially considering I'll be moving in 6-8 months or so. Oh well...I needed something to do today.

Here is the product of 5+ hours work today (click for bigger pics):

40br92.jpg

I'm hoping when the plants fill in it will make the wood blend in a bit. Right now it kind of sticks out to me. And I'm not so crazy about that big piece on the right. :confused:

Left
leftw.jpg

Right

rightn.jpg

Not a good pic, but I was amazed to get one with 3 types of fish in it :)

fishn.jpg

l to r Pygmy Cories, Embers, Rummynose

These were taken like 45ish mins after the tank finished filling...and about 20mins after I put the fish in.....so its a little cloudy and the fish are kinda pale still.

I tossed out a bunch of plants....trying to lessen the number of species I have and alot of them had some algae on them (so I didn't offer them for sale or free). The substrates are....Aquasoil on the bottom in the planted area covered with Eco Complete and the sand from adgshop.com in the front. I mixed a fine grain sand with a larger grain sand (almost gravel like really). I know the sand won't stay clean of the Eco Complete, but I've always wanted a beachy type area so I'm willing to work on keeping it clean looking.

Tell me what you think!

I've done alot more work for soooo much less. Makes me want to start my 40b when I get home tomorrow, but I'll be leaving on Monday, so... it'd basically be a waste of time. I'm hoping to set it up around Christmas, and hopefully have built an led light for it. And yeah, once the plants grow in, it'll be amazing!

Thanks! I might try it without that big fat piece of driftwood tomorrow and see how it looks....or swap that out for a skinnier piece if I have one.

I'll take more pics when it clears up too. Its hard to see the different substrates with it cloudy.

Nice looking tank. I'm holding off doing anything with my tank for a month or two...I need to let my plants bulk up again.

Can't wait to see it grown in.

Thanks! I might try it without that big fat piece of driftwood tomorrow and see how it looks....or swap that out for a skinnier piece if I have one.

I'll take more pics when it clears up too. Its hard to see the different substrates with it cloudy.

It's okay, if you post pics when it's looks even better, I'll feel even worse :wink:

Looks great. I really appreciate that natural look but that IS a ton of work. :)

It looks amazing. Can't wait to see what it will look like all filled in. LOVE the dw btw. You're hard work really paud off in the end, at least IMO.

Thanks!

Yeah I definitely think the hard work was worth it. It looks a ton better than it did before (after I let that old scape go...). I replaced that big piece of wood with another smaller piece today and I like the look of it. Its really cloudy today though...hopefully in a couple days it will clear up. Where is the Purigen when you need it? :rolleyes: Too bad I ran out.

Back
Top Bottom