Matching aquarium to stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Santacarl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I am thinking about getting back to the 'hobby'. I have always wanted a 55 gallon setup. As I look around at what to buy I notice that available stands (I'm thinking metal) that I can find don't necessarily match the dimensions of a typical 55 gal aquarium. For example: I was looking at 1 particular stand, advertised for a 55 gal aquarium that measures (14.5 x 49.5 x 27.9 inches) and when I search actual aquariums I see sizes that are all between 50.5 and 51.9 inches in width and some with a depth of 15 inches.

So if I purchased the stand I would have an aquarium that hangs over the edges..... That seems like a recipe for disaster or am I missing something.

I've looked at several stands and I can't seem to find a match between the tank footprint and the stands.

I know the big-box pet stores sell aquariums with matching stand but I really don't want to go with one of those composite/pressboard stands and have to deal with the inevitable swelling from getting water on it.....

In the past I had small aquariums and don't remember this being an issue...or at least not a concern.....

Any thoughts on how to find a stand that matches the tank footprint or am I obsessing over something that isn't a reason for concern?

Back
Top Bottom