My 125 gallon jorney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rams unfortunately were gone some time mid may. Found 2 dead and the others acting erratically , temp was steady, water tested fine, changed anyways, but the rest followed by the next morning. No idea of cause, pair of plecos, pair of sterbais and the 2 survivng tetras from first batch acted normally.
I was frustrated to a point I almost sold the tank.

At that time I lowered temp to 78, got rid of sump and installed two AQ110 hobs. I think i did only one WC during those few month, which with plants and reduced feeding sustained the 6 little fishes just fine through september.

Now I think im ready for another go. I like how left side looks, looking for more DW or other hardscape for the right side

Sorry to hear about your rams. GBRs are like a siren, always calling to me when I visit the LFS. But there's just too much inbreeding and too much hormone use among unethical suppliers. Unless one has access to a good breeder, keeping GBRs is akin to urinating into a stiff breeze.

You might want to try a pair of Bolivian Rams. They're much hardier, though a little tougher to find. A pair or two of Apistos might also work well in a tank that size. A. cacatuoides and A. agassizii are pretty common and not terribly difficult. Also, if you're sick of the Cardinal Tetras dropping like flies, you might want to try Black Neons. My experience is that they're relatively hardy for a tetra, they don't need heavy planting, and they'll occupy the mid/upper regions of the tank.

Agreed about the hardscaping. A couple of medium-sized pieces of bogwood placed together to function as a "cave" would work nicely, and would be appreciated by corys and dwarf cichlids.

Good luck!

thank you for the suggestions. i will be trying those some time in future.starting today that tank is not going to be touched as far as planting nor additions. not sure when exactly it happened, was away from home yesterday, but tonight i came down to this:

20141116_213331-vi.jpg

looks like angels got comfortable in my tank and it looks like i got a pair. mother is fanning out the eggs while dad busy chasing away anything that gets close. poor gurami used to like that corner too, now he is being terrorized by parents to be
reading up on angel fry care.

if anyone wants to share their two cents on my dilemma

Only just found this Anton, I would think by now they will have eaten the eggs, if not the one's that turn white are infertile, and they will be giving any fish around a bad time, they get quite nasty to any other fish that comes anywhere near, let us know how they went on

Came from work last night and found the leaf clean. Sad, but at least someone had good meal. And I already ordered a breeder box... Well, I will be quicker moving the egged leaf into breeder box next time...

And as it sometimes happened after two weeks my pair is at it again. I guess they felt good with all the frozen worms and BS i've been feeding this time with. This time I cought the lady doing it on camera.

: Anglefish laying eggs. - YouTube

I also noticed pencil fish pairing up and rubbing on each other. There are some moss patches in tank, maybe that will save some fry from the Cory swarm.

Attachment didn't come through the first post it seems

is it ok the flower is a bit above the water?

Attachments

• 1418788357168.jpg
    1418788357168.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 144
Thank you for reopening the old thread Autumnsky.
wanted to post some updates but stuck on the lock and din't go through with the request :) can't believe its been 3 years already.

2v2Ju87mdxUHnUD.jpg

week or so ago I finally started working on good looking doors for the stand. probably about time :)

Tank is still going, and some occupants getting some age on them. never thought tetras can't go past 3 years yet here some of them are pushing 4+ at this point, together with the original gourami and BN pleco pair. of the Angels (adults of unknown age when they got in my tank) only one remained. He looks very healthy though, still hungry for frozen food and even lets me touch himself. Single barb remained of the pair,single otto, Julie cories are all accounted for, some Emeralds survived, but skunks and sterbai are all gone sadly. Recent addition is yet again from yet another distant acquaintance who lost interest. this time I'm hosting school or rasboras, single zebra danio, few peppered cories. and on an impulse buy during unplanned petsmart visit I bought school of neons, two juvenile Angels, and some ottos to reinforce the old one.
that's quite a hodge podge stocking right there :)

Of the plants I still have some anubias in there, nana and micro nana, recently added an amazon and a Val plus some stems, but through 2017 I've mostly been growing algea, kind off let things go. Cleaned things up, Green hair is almost all gone, some stubborn BBS is still there, hopefully gone soon. bottom tank is fishless, houses HUGE clump of liver wort/Pelina moss (that I originally got from our fussy member Fishdude3233), probably enough for 10 portions if not more, and some struggler plants.

best regards!

Nice !
Yes quite the hodge podge of stock but if it works and was 'gifted' ...
I am about to need a stand I made years ago that I still don't have doors for !
I make no promises on my time ...

New piece of driftwood causes quite a hiatus for my algea covered anubias. Really need to find a way to arrange plants better.

2v2JHTuWCxUHnUD.jpg

The tank is coming along nicely. A real good piece of DW, a lot of character.

Still not fully recovered from BBA but I think I see the light at the end.

additions to my already strange stock - yet another acquaintance of a friend decided to wrap up with the hobby and I get to house the fish. 3 serpae tetras and 3 Angelfish not sure which veriety. Whatever it might be they don't look all that they supposed to look. Fins looks damaged, all are sized very small for the age (almost 2yo) and one is significantly growth stunned. Perhaps because they did grow up in a 29gal.

Attachments

• 20180207_172656.jpg
    20180207_172656.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180207_172720.jpg
    20180207_172720.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom