My 36 gallon planted adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoobfoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
Starting from the beginning...

IMG_4511.JPG
The initial setup, right before I introduced my fish from their old tank.

IMG_4521.JPG
Two days after the move. Managed to get a shot with all 6 of my
Bloodfins. Zoom! Look at them go!

IMG_4542.JPG
This is what it looks like currently. I've been dosing Excel about every day for almost a week and I've already noticed results, the most noticeable being that the residual algae left on leaves from my old tank has been disappearing. Woo hoo!

IMG_4545.JPG
Close-up of the trident java fern I recently purchased. Tied it to the driftwood using sewing thread. Does it look all right to you guys? I think I did an ok job [emoji4]

To do list as of right now:
-Rearrange plants and create better composition
-Paint or otherwise somehow create a black background
-Stocking plan: Add 6 new tetras (undecided which breed) and 3 new panda corys (my current corys are super shy and I think adding to their school may liven them up a little)

Feel free to chime in with any advice or suggestions! I'm getting the hang of things but am still pretty new and learning.

The trident looks fine. The ribbon plants arent aquatic. Probably will melt away if kept completely submerged. Since tank up and running poster board would make a nice easy background.

Thanks guys!

The trident looks fine. The ribbon plants arent aquatic. Probably will melt away if kept completely submerged. Since tank up and running poster board would make a nice easy background.

Yeah I've been told they're not aquatic. They've lasted fairly ok for 5 months, but not thriving, so I am looking for more midground plants to replace them with. And thanks for the poster board idea!

What is that tall pinkish plant in the background?

It's a fake plant I got at my LFS until I can purchase/grow a real tall plant to replace it. ☺

Oh that's disappointing lol I was hoping it was real and I could get one for myself that looked just like it

Are you using same light came with the tank? I am having exactly similar tank .. though my plants aren't showing much progress .. I have setup CO2 yesterday... let's see how it goes...

Are you using same light came with the tank? I am having exactly similar tank .. though my plants aren't showing much progress .. I have setup CO2 yesterday... let's see how it goes...

Yes I'm using the same light that came with the setup, but it definitely needs to be upgraded as it's not even 1 watt per gallon

IMG_4709.JPG

Some updates. Added a background, I like how it makes the colors in the tank pop better.

I removed the ribbon plants and replaced them with various anubias. The tetras definitely did not and still do not like that. They've been swimming low and slow ever since. Drama queens...

I've also rearranged some of the smaller plants so the composition is a little better and not as crazy right up front. I wish I had set it up so there was some sand up front to act as a little clearing, like a lot of aquascapers do, but oh well.

IMG_4712.JPG

I have gross goopy algae growing on my branches. The top one is removable so I am able to clean it but the button one has the trident fern attached to it so I'm afraid to even move it. I've just been able to scrape or pull some off but honestly that doesn't do anything lol. It only grows on the branches, there's nothing on the large driftwood. I wonder why? That's where my snail hangs out almost 24/7 though (Mr. Snail rarely ventures out and about) so maybe he keeps it under control there. No algae anywhere else, just a small patch here and there on the glass that's easily removable. I was out of town last weekend so the tank was a little neglected for a few days (no Excel), which I think is the reason for the algae explosion.

I will say get few more snails and some Otto cat maybe. Mine do awesome job cleaning algae.

View attachment 293441

Some updates. Added a background, I like how it makes the colors in the tank pop better.

I removed the ribbon plants and replaced them with various anubias. The tetras definitely did not and still do not like that. They've been swimming low and slow ever since. Drama queens...

I've also rearranged some of the smaller plants so the composition is a little better and not as crazy right up front. I wish I had set it up so there was some sand up front to act as a little clearing, like a lot of aquascapers do, but oh well.

View attachment 293442

I have gross goopy algae growing on my branches. The top one is removable so I am able to clean it but the button one has the trident fern attached to it so I'm afraid to even move it. I've just been able to scrape or pull some off but honestly that doesn't do anything lol. It only grows on the branches, there's nothing on the large driftwood. I wonder why? That's where my snail hangs out almost 24/7 though (Mr. Snail rarely ventures out and about) so maybe he keeps it under control there. No algae anywhere else, just a small patch here and there on the glass that's easily removable. I was out of town last weekend so the tank was a little neglected for a few days (no Excel), which I think is the reason for the algae explosion.

It's not algae it's a fungus, most new drift wood sprout this thick goop ;) clean up crews will clean it off over time and it's nothing to worry about :)

The branches have been submerged for almost two months - they did have whiteish goop on them for the first few weeks while it was cycling and that went away. This greenish-black fungus is fairly new. I'm not too worried about it since it just sprouts on the branches and not on plants or substrate or anything. I've definitely thought about getting another snail or two because my current one is such a recluse lol

I put in a second zebra snail about a week ago and goodness! Has there been a difference in algae! Guess my original snail is just lazy, haha!

Still dosing Excel every day. 20% pwc weekly, along with scrubbing the black fungus off one of the branches. That crap grows back almost immediately and it's frustrating!

A change in our work schedules caused inconsistency with the light being on. I really need to get a timer for it, and also just a better light overall. Anyone have any suggestions? I believe the light is 20 inches long.

Next weekend I'll be getting my three new panda corys. [emoji225][emoji1]

Ya why not look at some led options.

Because I don't have $80 to drop at the moment! [emoji23] Definitely want LED to be the ultimate goal, though. I'd like to get a CO2 system going first. I'm addicted to these plants!

There decent options around that budget. Planted plus probably around there.

Back
Top Bottom