My Amazing 10 Gallon Planted Wonderland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NanoTank_Enthusiast

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setup
Ten Gallon Tank
Filter : Fluval 106 Canister Filter
Lighting : 18" Finnex Ray II 144 HO LEDs
Substrate : Eco Complete
Plants : Dwarf Hair Grass (Eleocharis acicularis), Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides), Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis), Monewort (Bacopa monnieri)
Fish : One male Crowntail Beta, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Black Mollies, and 4 Otocinclus; and a whole bunch of snails.

I don't have pictures of when I very first set up my take due to a destroyed and lost iPhone, so this is the earliest photo of my tank I have.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 1233.jpg
    1233.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 33333.jpg
    33333.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 265
Very pretty tank. Unfortunantly, I would REALLY suggest to not keep the mollies in there. They get too large and active for a 10 gallon.

same here but for a different reason. i will take out the mollies because of their large bioload. but otherwise very nicely done.

Yeah, I only ended up with them, (the mollies) cause my friends mom was getting rid of her tank and she asked if I wanted them, so I took them. They're really cool couple, always moving about the tank and checking things out. But they are heavy on the bioload for sure. Always pooping, hah but I take a gravel vacuum to the take once a week and they've all been in there for about three months now so I feel pretty confidant the tank conditions are fine.

What do you do for the plants? What lights and do you have a co2 system? Details!!! Details!!! Please :)

When I was first starting this tank, I did a whole lot of research about planted tanks. I couldn't wait to get mine up and going, but I was on a budget.. When I was beginning to buy all of my stuff for it, my original plan was going to be an iwagumi set up. I find them absolutely mesmerizing and thought that that look would best suit a ten gallon tank and be reasonably easy to care for. Obviously that's not what I ended up with; but I couldn't be happier with my tank how it ended up.
For my lighting, I went with the Finnex Ray II, a bit pricy for an LED light in my opinion but it's money well spent, I love the really bright look it gives the tank and defiantly speed up the plant growth compared to the crappy lights I had before.
For the soil, I choose Eco Complete. Coming into a hobby I didn't really know all that much about, I struggled choosing which substrate I should choose. I was worried that I'd be stuck with something I don't like and possibly have to tear down the entire tank and restart because of poor plant growth. But now I am extremely happy with the eco complete and it's defiantly a product I'd suggest to my friends. My only problem I had with it was with the Dwarf Baby Tears actually getting a good hold on the bottom and not floating away. If I could do it all over again I'd dry start the Baby Tears so that they'd have a head start after flooding my tank.
As for plant food or fertilizers, I pour into my tank about once a week API's Leaf Zone Aquarium Plant food and insert into the soil Osmocote Smart-Release Plant food. The osmocote is actually plant fertilizer for outdoor or potted plants but I read on another thread, which is somewhere lost in the interverse (internet universe), that you could insert them into pill capsules and burry them in the substrate just like you would with root tabs and they do the same thing. Basically a life time supply of ferts for ten bucks at Home Depot. Every 3 to four months, replace the osmocote and you're good.
For a while I wanted a fancy pressurized CO2 system, solenoid an all but I ended up going the natural way and make my own with yeast and sugar. But instead of using ugly two litre bottles stuck behind my tank I purchased Nutrafin's Natural Plant system for the Aquarium and inject my co2 with a bubble ladder that I hid in the back corner. You can't even see it in the pictures so it works out nicely. I get good co2 for about a week and then it dies off but once I like how the plants have grown in, I just don't mess with it until I want to see some speedier growth.

That is a beaitiful planted tank. How long did it take for the hc to grow like that?

Yeah, I only ended up with them, (the mollies) cause my friends mom was getting rid of her tank and she asked if I wanted them, so I took them. They're really cool couple, always moving about the tank and checking things out. But they are heavy on the bioload for sure. Always pooping, hah but I take a gravel vacuum to the take once a week and they've all been in there for about three months now so I feel pretty confidant the tank conditions are fine.

They are too active and large.

That is a beaitiful planted tank. How long did it take for the hc to grow like that?

I'd say about a month to two months. The biggest problem was just keeping it on the substrate and actually rooting. I had to take tooth picks and wedge them down into the substrate to keep them from floating off. It looked a little ugly at first but well worth it in the end.

are you running pressurized co2?

No, I'm using Nutrafin's Natural Plant System with a bubble ladder hidden in the back right corner. I got it on Amazon for about $15 because it looks a whole lot better than a completly diy system with two litre bottles and what not. I make my own yeast and sugar combo; the packets it comes with are useless if you ask me and a HUGE waste of money. It's good for what it does but if you have anything bigger than a 20 gallon I'd say invest in a good pressurized system. What I got does the job I need it to and gives my plants a nice little boost when they need it.

Just thought I'd upload some pics of my tank's inhabitants. Let me know what ya'll think

Attachments

• pic4.2.jpg
    pic4.2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 115
  • pic4.6.JPG
    pic4.6.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 126
  • pic4.4.JPG
    pic4.4.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 126
  • pic4.9.JPG
    pic4.9.JPG