My Fluval Edge 46L - with photos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pratishk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve been wanting an aquarium for the last five years, but work, accommodation and time never quite fitted together. But decided a month ago that I really want to get into it and get some fish.

Started by using Bing and Google to find out all I could. Came across this forum as well as Aquarium Advice/Practical Fish Keeping and many more. YouTube was also very helpful at seeing what the aquariums look like, how big they are, maintaining them as well as the fish I can get.

I thought it only fair to share my journey and write here about my experience, the decisions I had to make, etc. which may help other newbies or anyone thinking of starting off.

Firstly – two main things you need, patience and time! I took almost a month of reading posts, watching videos and I still was not sure of what to get, which fish and so on! Forums like these have been great but also remember everyone has their own opinion and views and you should take them all in but at the end the decision is yours. “Window shopping” at a couple of pet shops also helped.

So I decided on the Fluval Edge 46 Litre.

It was between the Dennerle Nano Cube 60 (60 litres), the Aqua Nano 40 (55 Litres – but only about 45 to use as the other ten is used for the back section) and the Fluval.

Why the Fluval?

Dennerle – not enough information on it, I could not see one “live” and was worried the filter and lamps etc were mainly for aquascaping (mainly plants) and shrimp. Maybe they will become more popular as they are very neat – all curved glass and look lovely.

Aqua Nano – almost got this – as I liked the back “sump” like section – Sump is like an extra container where you keep all your filters, etc It was sort of future proof – as it can be used for marine tanks due to this extra area allowing for lots more media, heaters, etc – so what made me choose the Fluval?

The location I was putting it and the look of it. It sits on a bench to the left of my sofa, and so I can actually see into the tank whilst sitting on my sofa. Love its floating glass feel with the base and back frame. It can also be converted to marine if wanted but at a higher cost. But for now I was happy with freshwater and more specifically tropical water.
102379-albums14433-picture69330.html

BUT be careful as you have to totally be aware of and accept the small cavity where you have to do everything from. Think of an A5 card – and that is pretty much how much space you have – honestly it can be that small once filter, thermometer etc is in the tank!
102379-albums14433-picture69331.html

So got the Fluval – and here is my first experience: Buy from a shop, online, should I be loyal?

I went for local and loyal and bought it from my local fish shop (LFS). Yes I could have saved by buying online or from another outlet – but I think it helps build a relationship – I hope it does!

Next – substrate – again I researched, read lots of articles – but once I was at my LFS realised I am limited by what they had in stock – yes they could order things in – but wanted to set it up that weekend – so another tip – if you can – be patient – order online if there is a particular type you want/need. It so happens the one my LFS had is actually a pretty good substrate and am now really pleased with it. TMC aquaGro Nutra Soil.
Again – fell into the trap of LFS handing me one 3L bucket and not questioning it (read on later) but I actually needed about 5L of it.
Another tip: read the labels! 3L was for only upto 30L tanks…

Anyhow, got home with my initial 3L, a few plants and rocks – and started setting up…
102379-albums14433-picture69332.html

Got the substrate in , put the rocks in and the plants and used a bowl to try to stop the water moving the substarte around – but it was a right mess – gaps in the substrate and just not enough substrate for the large rock I wanted in the tank which kept toppling over – and worried it would scratch I removed it… Persevered and filled the tank with only the small rock and the plants I bought – as I thought I might as well test the tank, pump and filter and ensure there are no leaks.

I really wanted some drift wood – but the ones they had – and I really fell in love with this curved one – was way too big for the opening in the Fluval. Remember the A5 piece of paper – very useful! Also another tip here – if you do start looking at fish/pet stores whilst still researching – if you see some nice wood or rock – snatch it up! As again I was limited to the pieces I could find at the weekend in order to set up the tank. Again I was fortunate to find the right pieces – BUT was also ready to have a bare-ish tank if I did not find the right wood.
102379-albums14433-picture69333.html

It does look a right mess – but again be patient and by the next morning it was clearing up fine – but that was when I knew I needed some more substrate for sure. So went to get more – went to Charterhouse Aquatics – where it said they had a 3L in stock – but once I got there, they didn’t and so they gave me the 5L for a discount – much appreciated – I know some don’t like them –but I am lucky to live in London and the personal touch and advise I have received from two of their staff has been much appreciated.

Used up just over half of it so I have a nice thick level of substrate now – but it seems to work for me. The leftover substrate apparently can last and I will probably use it if I ever rescape – or fall into the (seems likely) ATS (Another Tank Syndrome!)

I managed to find other smaller pieces of rock – in different colours – so decided to bin the idea of the big rock and went for three different coloured rocks and the drift wood I found… Also bought a couple more plants and some moss.
102379-albums14433-picture69335.html

Another note: I do not know the names of the plants/moss – or don’t remember them – but for now I am just going by what I think looks nice and what sort of look I want it the tank. I am sure I will get better at the names! And again you are limited by the stock in your local LFS – so keep that in mind. I was fortunate that I have four shops within 10 miles of each other and had the time (sitting in London traffic!) to go to all four and purchase bits and bobs from each. Again if you are sure to be getting into this start buying things when you see them!
102379-albums14433-picture69336.html

So set up the tank, refilled it, conditioned the water again and did my tests.
My LFS did not have all the tests – so only got the pH and Nitrite liquid tests from them and bought a paper test for Ammonia. The way I see it is that Ammonia is only a real problem at the start and once you have fish- all you need to know if you have any or not. Whilst the Nitrite and pH need to be more accurate. I will buy a more thorough test kit later in the stage but right now I am on the fish less cycle and happy with those tests.

So finally had my tank setup to a nice-ish aquascape and the heater added this time too. I have a Fluval Edge E50 series heater – and two days later it still has not reached the green of 25 degrees! I will change the angle as some have suggested at my next water change next weekend but also another thing to note here: I added normal, cold tap water (added the Fluval Conditioner to it though!) – not thinking that I could actually use a mix of hot and cold! I am not sure why I thought I could not but in hindsight it would have saved me worrying about my heater by adding in hot. I will do this from now on at each water change! So there is no drastic change in the tank.
102379-albums14433-picture69337.html

All these things make me realise how useful and important a fish less cycle is for the complete newbie – it helps you make mistakes without the stress of having fish and doing them harm through lack of knowledge, understanding and patience!

The second day, water clearing really nicely and so started to add the friendly bacteria – Fluval provide a 30ml bottle of the Water Conditioner and 30ml Bottle of the Biological Enhancer to start of your cycles. Am currently following the instructions and the water has not really changed!

Ph 7 - Nitrite <0.3 - Ammonia 0.5 - Temp 24.5 degrees
102379-albums14433-picture69338.html

What Next?

This coming Sunday I will do my first official water change (not including the original one when I rescaped!)

I hope to give the plants a little prod here and there to ensure they are settled well. I might move some of the moss from the bottom drift wood and add more to the side of the curved driftwood. Will see how it goes!
Thanks for reading and thanks again for everyone who has written posts/articles/blogs/comments on here – it has helped me thus far and hope it continues to do so…

I’ll finish with all the other stuff I bought!
- A big 40L soft/bendy bucket
- A small metal bucket
- Fluval plant tweezers
- Marina multi-tool
- Marina algae magnet
- Marina small gravel cleaner/syphon
- Fluval sponge filter to put on the tube in the tank (so shrimps do not get sucked in!)
- Marina outside thermometer – not amazingly accurate but does the job as the Fluval heater has the actual temp on the heater.

gutted - still no pictures coming through... :-(

re-posted with links from within aquarium-advice photos - but still no joy.. hmmph...

Hi--I liked what you said about the importance of fishless cycling. I, too, just finished cycling my first tank, and you are totally right about making mistakes and correcting them, and learning from them without poor fish being the victims of them!

hoping photos work now...

I’ve been wanting an aquarium for the last five years, but work, accommodation and time never quite fitted together. But decided a month ago that I really want to get into it and get some fish.

Started by using Bing and Google to find out all I could. Came across this forum as well as Aquarium Advice/Practical Fish Keeping and many more. YouTube was also very helpful at seeing what the aquariums look like, how big they are, maintaining them as well as the fish I can get.

I thought it only fair to share my journey and write here about my experience, the decisions I had to make, etc. which may help other newbies or anyone thinking of starting off.

Firstly – two main things you need, patience and time! I took almost a month of reading posts, watching videos and I still was not sure of what to get, which fish and so on! Forums like these have been great but also remember everyone has their own opinion and views and you should take them all in but at the end the decision is yours. “Window shopping” at a couple of pet shops also helped.

So I decided on the Fluval Edge 46 Litre.

It was between the Dennerle Nano Cube 60 (60 litres), the Aqua Nano 40 (55 Litres – but only about 45 to use as the other ten is used for the back section) and the Fluval.

Why the Fluval?

Dennerle – not enough information on it, I could not see one “live” and was worried the filter and lamps etc were mainly for aquascaping (mainly plants) and shrimp. Maybe they will become more popular as they are very neat – all curved glass and look lovely.

Aqua Nano – almost got this – as I liked the back “sump” like section – Sump is like an extra container where you keep all your filters, etc It was sort of future proof – as it can be used for marine tanks due to this extra area allowing for lots more media, heaters, etc – so what made me choose the Fluval?

The location I was putting it and the look of it. It sits on a bench to the left of my sofa, and so I can actually see into the tank whilst sitting on my sofa. Love its floating glass feel with the base and back frame. It can also be converted to marine if wanted but at a higher cost. But for now I was happy with freshwater and more specifically tropical water.

102379-albums14433-picture69330.jpg

BUT be careful as you have to totally be aware of and accept the small cavity where you have to do everything from. Think of an A5 card – and that is pretty much how much space you have – honestly it can be that small once filter, thermometer etc is in the tank!

102379-albums14433-picture69331.jpg

So got the Fluval – and here is my first experience: Buy from a shop, online, should I be loyal?

I went for local and loyal and bought it from my local fish shop (LFS). Yes I could have saved by buying online or from another outlet – but I think it helps build a relationship – I hope it does!

Next – substrate – again I researched, read lots of articles – but once I was at my LFS realised I am limited by what they had in stock – yes they could order things in – but wanted to set it up that weekend – so another tip – if you can – be patient – order online if there is a particular type you want/need. It so happens the one my LFS had is actually a pretty good substrate and am now really pleased with it. TMC aquaGro Nutra Soil.
Again – fell into the trap of LFS handing me one 3L bucket and not questioning it (read on later) but I actually needed about 5L of it.
Another tip: read the labels! 3L was for only upto 30L tanks…

Anyhow, got home with my initial 3L, a few plants and rocks – and started setting up…

102379-albums14433-picture69332.jpg

Got the substrate in , put the rocks in and the plants and used a bowl to try to stop the water moving the substarte around – but it was a right mess – gaps in the substrate and just not enough substrate for the large rock I wanted in the tank which kept toppling over – and worried it would scratch I removed it… Persevered and filled the tank with only the small rock and the plants I bought – as I thought I might as well test the tank, pump and filter and ensure there are no leaks.

I really wanted some drift wood – but the ones they had – and I really fell in love with this curved one – was way too big for the opening in the Fluval. Remember the A5 piece of paper – very useful! Also another tip here – if you do start looking at fish/pet stores whilst still researching – if you see some nice wood or rock – snatch it up! As again I was limited to the pieces I could find at the weekend in order to set up the tank. Again I was fortunate to find the right pieces – BUT was also ready to have a bare-ish tank if I did not find the right wood.

102379-albums14433-picture69333.jpg

It does look a right mess – but again be patient and by the next morning it was clearing up fine – but that was when I knew I needed some more substrate for sure. So went to get more – went to Charterhouse Aquatics – where it said they had a 3L in stock – but once I got there, they didn’t and so they gave me the 5L for a discount – much appreciated – I know some don’t like them –but I am lucky to live in London and the personal touch and advise I have received from two of their staff has been much appreciated.

Used up just over half of it so I have a nice thick level of substrate now – but it seems to work for me. The leftover substrate apparently can last and I will probably use it if I ever rescape – or fall into the (seems likely) ATS (Another Tank Syndrome!)

I managed to find other smaller pieces of rock – in different colours – so decided to bin the idea of the big rock and went for three different coloured rocks and the drift wood I found… Also bought a couple more plants and some moss.

Another note: I do not know the names of the plants/moss – or don’t remember them – but for now I am just going by what I think looks nice and what sort of look I want it the tank. I am sure I will get better at the names! And again you are limited by the stock in your local LFS – so keep that in mind. I was fortunate that I have four shops within 10 miles of each other and had the time (sitting in London traffic!) to go to all four and purchase bits and bobs from each. Again if you are sure to be getting into this start buying things when you see them!

102379-albums14433-picture69334.jpg

So set up the tank, refilled it, conditioned the water again and did my tests.
My LFS did not have all the tests – so only got the pH and Nitrite liquid tests from them and bought a paper test for Ammonia. The way I see it is that Ammonia is only a real problem at the start and once you have fish- all you need to know if you have any or not. Whilst the Nitrite and pH need to be more accurate. I will buy a more thorough test kit later in the stage but right now I am on the fish less cycle and happy with those tests.

So finally had my tank setup to a nice-ish aquascape and the heater added this time too. I have a Fluval Edge E50 series heater – and two days later it still has not reached the green of 25 degrees! I will change the angle as some have suggested at my next water change next weekend but also another thing to note here: I added normal, cold tap water (added the Fluval Conditioner to it though!) – not thinking that I could actually use a mix of hot and cold! I am not sure why I thought I could not but in hindsight it would have saved me worrying about my heater by adding in hot. I will do this from now on at each water change! So there is no drastic change in the tank.

102379-albums14433-picture69335.jpg

All these things make me realise how useful and important a fish less cycle is for the complete newbie – it helps you make mistakes without the stress of having fish and doing them harm through lack of knowledge, understanding and patience!

The second day, water clearing really nicely and so started to add the friendly bacteria – Fluval provide a 30ml bottle of the Water Conditioner and 30ml Bottle of the Biological Enhancer to start of your cycles. Am currently following the instructions and the water has not really changed!

Ph 7 - Nitrite <0.3 - Ammonia 0.5 - Temp 24.5 degrees

102379-albums14433-picture69337.jpg

102379-albums14433-picture69338.jpg

What Next?

This coming Sunday I will do my first official water change (not including the original one when I rescaped!)

I hope to give the plants a little prod here and there to ensure they are settled well. I might move some of the moss from the bottom drift wood and add more to the side of the curved driftwood. Will see how it goes!
Thanks for reading and thanks again for everyone who has written posts/articles/blogs/comments on here – it has helped me thus far and hope it continues to do so…

I’ll finish with all the other stuff I bought!
- A big 40L soft/bendy bucket
- A small metal bucket
- Fluval plant tweezers
- Marina multi-tool
- Marina algae magnet
- Marina small gravel cleaner/syphon
- Fluval sponge filter to put on the tube in the tank (so shrimps do not get sucked in!)
- Marina outside thermometer – not amazingly accurate but does the job as the Fluval heater has the actual temp on the heater.

I don't know if your casual scaping skills are that good or that tank makes everything look good the way a yacht does, but that is a fantastic set up!! The uncomplicated way you laid everything in really works well. I hope you don't leave us hanging with updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My first fish:

So I left the tank going for about a month, with weekly water changes keeping an eye on the Ammonia, Nitrites and pH.

Finally bought myself the API Master kit - honestly - it is the only one. The other tests were useful whilst I was in fishless cycle - and quick checks - but accuracy is only got by using the API Master Kit - went online for this - to get best deal.

So went to LFS to buy some guppies but was told needed to get danios first as the tank needs to get into a proper fish cycle. Reluctantly bought six danios, long finned leapord? (spotted) danios.

Started to get used to them and quite enjoyed them for a few weeks. They ate well and grew well...

Second batch of fish...

So a couple of weeks later I thought the tank and I were ready for more fish - and went and got four guppies and four endler guppies.

Let the bags get to the right temperature, let them into the tank and they seem to settle - except for the endlers! They were really up for it! The smallest in the tank - but my they were aggressive! The video attached briefly shows three of them going for one of the guppies... anyhow, for two days constantly they kept going for the male guppies - and so took them back and got two more guppies.

These two were the ones that are falling ill. :-(

see this post:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/a-couple-of-guppys-a-bit-off-343657.html

Third batch... with an exchange...

So the danios were getting very big... and I was falling for the colourful guppies, so went back to the LFS and gave them the danios back and bought some more guppies - and an electric blue ram! Yes - maybe the EBR was an impulse buy... but he seems alright right now - comes out a lot more and ate the bloodworms quite well...

see here for post on extra guppies:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/how-many-guppies-in-a-46l-343600.html

latest pics:

102379-albums14460-picture69502.html

102379-albums14433-picture69504.jpg

102379-albums14433-picture69505.jpg

A tank full of EBRs...

Dear all,

So an update first on my tank:

Quite a few of the guppies managed to lose their lives - I went through two cycles of the General Tonic and I think the tank finally settled.

For the last six weeks I have had five guppies, two EBRs and one Pleco. One of the guppies - one of the original ones was starting to swim right by the filter - and knew it would happen, but it passed away yesterday.

So after a good 50% water change as well as some tonic - I went researching for a new tank... during my research - I found one of my LFS had three EBRs left - and they seemed a different shape to the my male ones - hoping they were female and not all males - even the LFS was not sure - but did think they looked different to the males I had.

Anyhow, will try to get pictures up on here of the different ones - as I seem to always have problems with the picures!

Upgrading my Tank...?

So,

I am moving flat in about a month - and as I needed to transport the tank - I thought - hey I could do a rescape - and so started to think about this - an what to rescape to. Am pretty keen on sand:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/changing-to-sand-keep-some-substrate-345276.html

But then - I started to think - well - should I just upgrade m tank???

I have the 46L and started to look into a 68-70L but my LFS has just offered me the Fluval Roma 90L with cabinet at a steal of a price.. should I... should I??

I would take the current stock over - but would mean I could really get a good scape going too...

any ides/thoughts suggestions would be great, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom