My new project - 300 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

This is my new project, my 300 gallon planted tnak. I started it Saturday, November 12th.
Specs:
Tank: made custom by Glasscages.com
Size: 300 gallons - 8'L x 2'H x 2 1/2' W
Lighting: Coralife Pro series with three 150 watt MH, two 96 watt 6700k, 2 96 watt 50/50 and four moon lights
Filter: Ehiem Pro 3 (rated for 320 gallons), Eheim 2128 (rated for 160 gallons - this filter is presently on my 120g) and I will be using my Magnum 350 canister as a Co2 reactor
Subtract - 440 lbs. Eco-complete planted gravel
I have an automatic Co2 system on my 120 I will be moving here
Tank inhabitants:
5 Clown Loaches
3 Polkadot Botia
a pair of Pearl Gouramis
female Snakeskin Gourami
12 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
12 Celebese Rainbows
8 Shirt Tetras
3 Rosy Tetras
2 pairs of Bolivian Rams
1 pair of Blue Rams
Bristlenose
12 SAE's
4 Cherry Barbs
4 Head & Tail tetras
6 Ottos
15 Corys

Debating about another pair of Blue Rams and 14 Cardinals that are in a 40 gallon Hex. They are doing great there so I may leave them alone.
Debating about 8 juvenile Matae Corys - too young? for this large tank & a pair of Bamboo Shrimp - afraid the fish may hurt them.

Want to get in addition: 9 Polkadot Botia & 1 male & 4 female Pearl Gouramis

Here is that tank as it sits now, comments, suggestions & criticism welcome. I still have more plants to add from my 120.

These pics are with the two 96watt 6700k & two 96 watt 50/50 lights on only

side view as you enter the room
f1747d0d.jpg

f1747d0e.jpg

you can see the back half - this is the rear view
f1747d0a.jpg

The Eheim Pro 3 - the stand is 30" tall, the filter almost didn't fit
f1747b6f.jpg

I'm hoping, praying that most of the bottom will fill in with riccia
f1747b64.jpg

Blurry side view
f1747b5b.jpg

another rear view
f1747aaa.jpg

a bonus, a baby longfinned Bristlenose that's in my 40 hex
f1747a8e.jpg

I'll keep this post active with up-dates, again please make suggestions

Thanks for looking, Michael

Uhhhhhhh, that's what I would do if I won the lottery. But it wouldn't look that nice. Can't WAIT to see the progress. Thanks, Michael!

Nice one Michael !
Did you have it shipped or picked it up at a show ? I was thinking about the 33 Long from glasscages ... if my wife agrees... I didn't find one before so we went with a 20 Long from allglas... maybe if I get rid of the 2 x 10G and just keep the 46G Oceanic and my 20L... yes, I got MTS... and I stand to it :mrgreen:

I didn't go to the show, I only went to pick up the tank. I saved a bundle by picking it up there rather than having it shipped. My tank is glass, they do make acrilic also. Dry weight is about 900 lbs.

Talk about doing things right the first time around :D I always tell people that I need a 300G tank for my plants but I never thought I would see someone put one together like this one. I am very impressed with your selection of equipment - especially those lights. What type (Kelvin) of MH bulbs are you using?

Please keep us posted as this tank progresses. It will be very interesting to follow. And don't hesitate to post in the Planted Tanks forum here on AquariumAdvice either :)

Sorry about that Travis, they are 10,000k MH. Here is a link to the fixture. I ordered it from Hellolights. They were awesome to work with. The fixture came in with one broken light and one non-working MH and they replace them right away. The fixture came with four 96 watt Antic Blues, I switched them out for two 6700k and two 50/50's for $15.00 per bulb. I still received the antic blues. I'm going to an auction this Sunday, I wonder how much I could get for them? The four night lights look awesome, great night time viewing.

http://hellolights.com/72aqualightpro.html

Very nice. You sure don't mess around. :) How will you keep the riccia down?

Good question czcz, I just puched it into the gravel. I hope it will root before the fish go in, but I am almost ready to move the fish and I know they won't let it stay down.

Wow, good to know. I wish I new this before I spread it around the tank. I'll gather it up and make a growing pad for it. Well, this info changes my plans. I need another grass like plant to try to fill in the bottom. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Micro Sword &/or Glossostigma. I want the shortest growing grass like plant.

Picking a carpet is kind of a pick of the focus of your tank I think. Micro sword carpets are very impressive to me, in particular because the one time I tried it it turned into a BBA magnet. (I had no idea what I was doing.)

I think glosso looks classy and if you have not tried to grow it yet you should. Once you are harvesting it you will have lots for trades if so inclined. Planting glosso from runners is much easier than planting the emersed growth you typically start with: if you can get some from a hobbyist the initial planting will be easier.

My favorite is Elatine triandra, which is the carpet in Travis's last scape. Grows fast too to help you fill out the space. There are a few of us growing it on this forum and in a short time can start you off with some. With such a big tank it may be too little depending on your patience though.

Dwarf hairgrass looks perfect in the right tank.

Up date:

Here are some pics of my 300 gallon tank today. Still need to get the Glossostigma to grow. It's having trouble due to the heavy growth from the long stemmed plants. I removed a third of the plants yesturday due to over growth.

Please note - these pics are taken with only 400 watts of light. The three 150 watt 10K MH lights are off.

f0e7df9e.jpg

f0e7df9b.jpg

f0e7df9d.jpg

f0e7ddcc.jpg

f0e7dd8b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom