my tank and diy sump/overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghost00tj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Everything about 2 weeks old now.
135g tank. 55g sump.
1" lines with 2" standpipe. Info from the all knowing Joey on YouTube (King of DIY).
Aqua lift pump 3 watt, installed after pics were taken.
Powerhead running the return line. Not sure of its rated gph.
Sump 55g, the baffles made from clear acrylic sheet about 3mm silicone in
clear 100% GE brand. 3/4" gap for underflow. top made from same plastic sheet all cut to fit.
Filter media, ceramic, bio-balls, anti-ammonia sheet, poly fiber, charcoal and a black foam brick.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 109
  • sump2.jpg
    sump2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 106
  • sump3.jpg
    sump3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 116
  • 20160220_200409.jpg
    20160220_200409.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 115
Yes. I cut a hole in the wall just big enough to pass the pvc pipe through

I liked the idea of easy water changes or adding chemicals. It was an inexpensive and way project to add water volume while keeping filter and heater equipment out of view.

yes, various types. bottom is mostly gravel and some sand (play ground all purpose) substrate.

I'm thinking about putting one on my discus tank eventually. Supposed to cut down on nitrates. There's a pretty good video on YouTube. I hadn't really thought about putting it in the other room. Is this your 1st one?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, my first one, very easy to do. You-Tube is where I went, DIY KING's video (improved) with a lift pump. That's what I heard as well, more volume of water is easier to manage so far so good, just need to add a light back there so I can put plants in it as well if needed. just make sure if your power goes out that your sump tank can hold the back the backflow.
*I used a lift pump so if I am away from home the circulation starts back up when the power comes back on.

How to set up a Discus Fish - Wetpets & Friends - Video by AmericanReef

Here's the tank, everything is still small and young. If I remember I'll get a pic of the sump.

Attachments

• Tank_4_2016.jpg
    Tank_4_2016.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 79
Looking better... You already posted pictures of sump unless it's changed. Are you going to put a background on it?

Back
Top Bottom