Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmberRose1414

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had just started my 5 gallon about 5 days ago. I have 1 Betta, 11 neons, 1 catfish, 4 mystery Snails, and 4 shrimp. Today I found a baby snail slugging around. How is this possible? I just got these fish and I have no live plants.

Hi Amber :) Welcome to the forum.

The snail may have been scooped up when they netted one of your other fish.

As for your stocking of your 5 gallon, I feel that you should know that it is massively overstocked. :( You will experience alot of trouble in the next couple days with that many fish in a 5 gal.

Have you cycled this tank?

At best, once the tank is cycled I would only house the betta and 1-2 mystery snails together. You could also pick and choose others, but you would need a much larger tank to safely keep all of those fish together.

Most stores will take back fish and give you your money back within a certain number of days. I would take them back until your tank is cycled. :(

My tank is cycled! As for the fish I looked up all of them and many people had this amount if not more in their 5 gallon. I really am about to do even more research cause I really like all my fish friends and I would hate for anything to happen to them. Thank for the info

Amber, good to know that your tank is cycled. :eek:)

As for stocking a 5 gal with that many fish...people do it, but it is NOT a good idea and will eventually result in alot of headaches and trouble for you and sickness and stress for the fish.

The neons (11) need alot more space than 5 gal to school. The catfish and mystery snails tend to be messy and poopy and will dirty your water very quickly which will likely kill your shrimp as they are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrites. If you consider all of these things, you can understand why your tank would be considered by most as being overstocked.

Don't follow what others do, alot of people don't do the best research. If your goal is to maintain a healthy tank for whatever fish you pick...you are doing great to be here in the forum and to do compatibility research. I am simply bringing up some other considerations for you to make. Many fish that are compatible are as such in the right environment. In a crowded tank, this might not be the case. There simply isn't enough room for everyone.

If you want to keep your fish friends, perhaps consider this...check craigslist for people who might be giving away larger tanks. Sometimes you can get lucky. I also know that petco is having a sale on tanks right now at $1/gallon. So, you could buy a 20g tank for only $20. :)

Back
Top Bottom