New 55 Gallon Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bidgette

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just moved my 30 gallon to a 55 with my son's help. Looks pretty bare right now, but I'm hoping to add more plants and some driftwood. I don't think light will be that big an issue, with windows flanking either side.

Don't have my hood up yet, but there is a black canopy that goes with the stand. Don't know what lights would be best yet. I want a fairly heavy mix of plants.

I currently have 4 tiger barbs, 4 silver (?) barbs, 1 really pretty blue betta, and 1 BIG plecostimus!

Thanx to my son, Hogie, for helping me out!

What do you think, Alaris?

2916672065_171c22d49f.jpg

I need to get a bigger tank now so you will still have Tank Envy ;)

looks nice. one thing i would keep an eye on is the windows. sunlight is a big cause of algee outbreaks.

It is sitting in the same spot as the old 30 gallon was. The windows are East facing, but only get direct light about 3 hours a day. We have used this spot since about March of this year and haven't had any problems with algae yet.

well, to be correct, we DID have a HUGE Black Beard Algae outbreak, but that was caused by getting contaminated plants from a local shop. (NEVER AGAIN will I purchase their plants!) What little algae I had was immediately cleaned up by Plecky.....who is now 7 inches long.....so I'm thinking that as long as I keep a cleaner, and don't import any more incredibly hard algae to get out, I shouldn't have that much of an issue.

Also, if I understand correctly, if I can get my plants to take off, the algae won't have as much of an opportunity to create a stranglehold.

Love my tank. And, NO, I don't want a bigger tank, so you can keep the tank envy to yourself, thank you!

So now you guys have 2 55g's in the same room? sigh...

Looks good, Bidgette! I don't think you should say you'll never buy plants from them again. I have since bought more plants from the gallery and they're just fine. They have the best variety, you know what you're getting (b/c they're named), and they're in much better shape than petco's.

Ok I need some up-close pictures!!

....I think we all know where the tank envy is..... :(

So now you guys have 2 55g's in the same room? sigh...

Looks good, Bidgette! I don't think you should say you'll never buy plants from them again. I have since bought more plants from the gallery and they're just fine. They have the best variety, you know what you're getting (b/c they're named), and they're in much better shape than petco's.

Ok I need some up-close pictures!!

....I think we all know where the tank envy is..... :(

We almost had an eighty gallon in the pool table room. It was only $100 for the stand/canopy/tank/sump/plumbing... I resisted the urge though!

Yea, maybe you're right about the never say never kind of thing. I just was annoyed at the attitude the person on the phone exhibited when I let her know that the stuff I bought from them was the source of my algae outbreak. I also find it kind of ironic that they don't have the algae outbreak anymore.....AND they now have siamese algae eaters for sale!

Anyway.

I love the red root floaters you have in your tank. I can't wait to get more plants for my aquarium. It looks so bare, expecially after my 30 gallon was doing so well, pre-outbreak. sigh

If you couldn't "fit" a 55g in the pool room, what makes you think you could fit an 80g? (In fact I believe you could fit a 100g in the pool room with better space planning.) What about Dad's room? Surely you could fit an aquarium in there. :p

we've talked about it! :cool:)

Went to the SW club last nite where they discussed octupus (es) (i)? errrr cephalopods. Wouldn't it freak Dad out to have one suddenly come up to the glass and start to climb out!

He would move soooooo fast!
haha

You should buy a fake octopus (a plastic/rubber one, not plushie) as realistic as you can and have it coming out of the top of the tank. Do you think he'd fall for it?

Thanks! I just sunk another large rock into the tank. I'm getting more plants next week and I'll post new pics after adding them. I'm looking for very specific plants now and I was hoping to find them by the weekend.

BTW, can I have some of your bacteria, pls?

sure, i'm going to change the filter soon. do you want what's in the old one, or do you want the rocks?

there are still some rocks in the 30 gallon one, but it hasn't had water since sunday. would that matter?

Yes I want the cartridge from the old one. Keep it submerged in tank water. I'll return the cartridge when my tank is done cycling. Is is ok if Hogie brings it over tomorrow for game night?

Yes, she's married to my youngest son, Hogie's brother! I couldn't ask for a better daughter in law! (How's that for a shameless plug for red root floaters when they get ready to be divided!?!)

Well then...it runs in the family! Must be nice...my dad is kind of interested in aquaria(how I got started), but other than that I'm the only real hard-core aquarist if there was one in my family.

My husband (Bidgette's son) told me to get a fish tank. Bidgette's family has had tanks on and off for years.

(How's that for a shameless plug for red root floaters when they get ready to be divided!?!)

Hmmmm.....I can give you a couple to grow out in your tank. Or you can get your own when he's got some more.

Back
Top Bottom