New bowfront 36g planted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eric1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New to keeping fish, just got this set up and cycled. Before and after I set up my eheim 2215.
image-869159761.jpg

image-928100949.jpg

I can't find any fish so I'm gonna assume you haven't stocked it yet... what stock do you plan to have for this tank?

I love the look of this tank!

There is actually 6 red eye tetra and 18 Amano shrimp in it right now and when the picture was taken, plan on getting some neon or cardinal Tetra and maybe some rummy nose tetra or mosquito rasp.

So the pic of the tank on the left is before and the one on the right is after? Is it just me or does it look cloudier in the right pic? Looks really nice though btw. :D
I love that driftwood piece. Is it real or fake?

It's a piece of mopani wood I think, it's real though. And no you are right, I put the pictures backwards by accident the pic on the left is the after,

Actually my wood is really leaching out alot of tannins, I put 2 100ml bags of purigen in the eheim and you can see the yellow in the water is gone.

Actually my wood is really leaching out alot of tannins, I put 2 100ml bags of purigen in the eheim and you can see the yellow in the water is gone.

You are supposed to boil driftwood for at least 5 hours to get all the tannins out. Or you can soak it in a tub of water for a week or until water doesn't turn colors any more. But that purigen looks like it worked like magic!

So is the 2215 the only filter you are using? That looks great! Just set up my 36 and running fluval u4 underwater filter and ac50 hob filter but really want to move to canister. I have 2 filstars on my big tank and was gonna do one for 36 but that Eheim may be way I go!

Ya its the 2215, very nice filter. For the first 6 weeks I had the tank running I had an aquaclear50 and aqueon35 HOBs and the tank water was yellow and had lots of particulate in it. Within 3 hours of turning on the eheim the water was crystal clear. I am still also running the aquaclear50 just as a back up.

Looks great! Is your Mopani getting that white film all over it? Mine was so I took it out and am letting it soak I'm a bucket for a week or whatever it tanked

Ya the wood has white fungus all over it, the shrimp have cleaned up about 75% of it though.

So I'm new to tropical tanks do the shrimp help keep tank clean? How's their bio load?do they breed like crazy!? Their ok w rams tetras and Cory's?

Wouldn't keep any tetra larger than a neon or cardinal tetra&definitely no rams w/shrimp...however rams with amanno shrimp is doable...

I have ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp with my German rams, and they don't bug em. My betta will attack them though. Especially if they have food. I've got a 36g bowfront too ;)

I have ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp with my German rams, and they don't bug em. My betta will attack them though. Especially if they have food. I've got a 36g bowfront too ;)

Interesting,it seems rams generally find them to be a food source...

Nice tank! I have a 36 bow too!! Haha I love my tank! What are you doing for light? I have a marineland t5ho 30 inch and its doing ok but I'm thinking about upgrading soon.

Back
Top Bottom