new tank almost finished for discus fishes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laoski

Aquarium Advice Regular
my tank set up is 85-90% finished, im still not contented how it looks like, theres something missing at the back and the front of the aquarium. im still contemplating of hanging another red moorwood root in the middle but i dont think the plank of wood which the two were hanging and nailed could support another weight.. hmmmmm but i just realized how discus' love swimming around the roots.

Attachments

• pano aquarium.jpg
    pano aquarium.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 508
Its beautiful tank,i hope you will put more fancy big fish

thank you so much for the compliments - the discus' were hiding at the back of the big planted root haha they were too shy to come out. im gonna buy 3-4 more discus the following days and complete the aquarium set up in the ff months. i dont have the money to create a planted tank with c02/fertilizer, so i just have to tie ferns and anubias on the roots lol.

Wow! Laoski! It looks awesome :) I wouldn't worry about the co2 for now. You should take a look at Paul's tank hes not running co2 and his plants are thriving! I'll get you the link if you like?
On a side note, I got a giggle about your discus hiding too. Lol so now we both have to get better pics where we can see them better ;-) I can't wait to see how your tank progresses!

mlani - lol i took this pic late at night and the fishes got spooked when i turned the lights on lol. sure - you can send me the link of the tank w/o c02 i use use soem tips and pointers there ^_^ - it takes some time to put all of these together because theres already water and fishes in the tank coz my first design was a disaster :( so i had to redo everything :((

Tank looks great. Where did you get your roots from?

i got the roots in my lfs here in germany. the roots are called "red moorwood" i searched hard the internet to know which tree they came from sadly no success. if you could find red moorwood in ebay/amazon/or you lfs buy them - they have so much character - you can even tie moss on the roots to give your aquarium another dimension - but im contemplating on doing that because the aesthetic beauty and character of the roots will be covered.

if you buy red moorwood - be wary that some imports from china are actually rhododendron roots - which can be fatal to fishes as it excretes poision. so look for the real red moorwood. it seems suspcious though - but try manzanita if you couldnt find red moorwood in your area (though i only sa manzanita in pictures) - the physical characteristics are the same: branchy and rooty.

if you bought red moorwood and soaked in your aquarium - it isnt like the normal driftwood that would sink - it would float in the aquarium for weeks and excrete a slimey white coating - but thats harmless and plecos love to eat it. you can use rocks to anchor the driftwood glued by aquarium silicon.

crap - that was long! lol

a pic of my two new discus ^_^ red silver dreams and heckel. the others are still spooked and hiding on their new home lol

scaled.php

janky and tiger - sadly i have to remove the hanging roots for the moment - the pigeon blood is bullying the new discus and they get tangled up in the roots when they flee - they get scars and accidentally bumping their eyes on them which to my horror - damaged their eyes today (thank god it lasted for half a day and healed again but what a nightmare that was) - ill put them back when things start to settle down. but i was so stressed with the bully discus today.

Back
Top Bottom