Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smile New tank complete.

Behold! New tank complete!
The dwarf Cory are amazing love this tank so much. The Cory gave me quite the scare when I added Betta yesterday they were a little spooked by her at first and kept playing dead I was freaking out thinking my seeded filter didnít successfully cycle the tank but then watched her approach one and the little guy immediately flopped on his side and played dead in front of her lol. They have figured out she isnít a threat now though and arnt bothered by her following them around from time to time
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0918.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	323940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	323941

Old 09-05-2022, 12:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I love it. I want a little dome rock like that. I’ve also never seen a filter like that. I’m new to tanks tho! There’s some s+p cories at the store by me, I need some but my new tank will take a bit to be ready!
Old 09-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

New tank complete.

Thanx! Itís actually a half coconut shell can find them on amazon and the filter is a sponge filter with media ďbasketĒ by upettools (also on amazon) Hygger makes a double one but was way too big for this tank the hygger single doesnít have the extra spot for media so went with the upettools one and put some seachem matrix in it. I really like it cause itís air powered so donít have to also have airstone
Old 09-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just fyi as I know you mentioned maybe doing a sorority but I canít remember how big your tank your setting up is- the s+p Cory are VERY active I wouldnít recommend more than 1 Betta with them in 10 gallon. Not to mention stock wise per aqadvisor 1 betta and 6 S+P pretty much maxes out 10 gallon.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh dang why can’t I have like 3 s+p and 3 betta? It’s 10. Guess I could skip the cories in there completely and just get a dwarf pleco
Old 09-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cory are schooling fish so itís recommended to have at least 6 to keep the little guys happy. also another food for thought is substrate choice matters with Cory since they nuzzle around in gravel you want a smooth substrate - I used aqua natural gold pearl its super small smooth round gravel my 54 has the silver pearl color but itís sold out everywhere for some reason right now
Old 09-05-2022, 05:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well too late for that now :/ I used the same gravel in both tanks… they seem to be happy tho!

UPETTOOLS Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter, Ultra Quiet Aquarium Air Pump Bio Sponge Fish Tank Foam Filter Comes with 4/2 Spare Sponges 4/2 Bag of Bio Ceramic Media Balls https://a.co/d/1UlNLJ5

Is this the sponge filter with media? Why did you buy separate media? I wanna get a sponge filter because the suction of the hanging filter I have seems to be a little strong for betta. Also, floating plants get tossed all over the tank.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can you tell me about that heater too... is it a better type to not burn the fish? Mine are those metal rod types.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry just saw this! Fluval P50 itís a preset one but Aqueon pro 50 heater is adjustable but same type of finish
Old 10-06-2022, 12:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank looks nice but you need a picture on the back to make the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings from any pet shop or online, or use a sheet of coloured card or a plastic bin liner. Just tape it to the outside on the back.

You should also add some floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) to encourage the Cories out during the day and to give the Betta somewhere to hang out.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com