New Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jester1147

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK... so im new to the whole 'fishtank' business but figured i would show everyone what i have considering i dont quite know what i have.

19075-albums274-picture1721.jpg

The rest of my pics are in my photo album.

Biggish tank with lotsa fish and no decorations is what I see!

And that is a biiiig pleco... (to me at least)

as i said i just got the tank set up this past weekend and am new to the whole thing. Im hoping to get some more 'decoration' this weekend. Any good ideas on what would look best?

this setup was an existing setup from a co-worker. He found out he was PCSing and decided to give me the whole thing. So yeah... all the fish came with the tank. Though, they fish were in a different tank at the time and the one he gave me was a seperate tank.

watch your ammonia and nitrIte closely. With that large of a bio-load, these will most likely spike high enough to kill off a lot of your fish.

With that many fish, it would happen pretty quick. As their waste and excess food decomposes, it leaches ammonia into the tank.

You're new here, so I'm not sure if you're familiar with the nitrogen cycle. If not, please read the article that's linked in my signature.

You are correct, i dont really know much about the whole 'nitrogen cycle' thing. i saw it and am reading it. Ive had the tank running (with fish) about a week and a half now.

I'm not a freshwater guy but I would think that testing your water every few days for ammonia ect would be a good idea. Also you may want to do some water changes (25% ish) to keep the numbers down.

Another option is to find homes for some of those fish. That is a LOT of fish in a 55g tank.

Do you have a test kit? (Avoid strips and try for a full kit- less expensive in the long run.)

Might want to get testing for ammonia and nitrite daily and any time they pop over .5ppm, do a 50% water change (might also want to get a siphon or Python to make WC's much, much easier).

I agree with Ziggy on number of fish- IMHO just by looking you're way overstocked, not to take into account the aggressive possibilities of the fish... I would be prepared to lose some and also to get rid of some that aren't compatible.

first... the tank is an 80gal.... as for number of fish vs size for population I don't know. I know all the fish ere in the same tank before it got to mine.I don't have a test kit yet. I will probably hit up pPetsmart tomorrow before my shift. what kind should I get?as for water changes... what kind of frfequency and how much.. or does that all depend on ammonia levels

Ditto thominil... considering that individual tests are $8-10 and you'll need ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH kits, it comes out to less than buying separately. I like the kit and find it easy to use.

If it will be a few days before you can get the kit I would do 25% water changes daily. Remember to treat with a good dechlorinator.

If you decide on the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, which I strongly suggest, check on local prices and Drs. Foster/Smith. I believe the good doctors have it for 16 dollars+a few bucks for shipping.

I second the daily water changes. Do you have a python? If not, get one. With an 80 gallon tank you will thank me later. Seachem Prime dechlorinator is the best stuff around IMO.

ive heard about the python and planned on getting one. We have a pet/fish store here locally, i will check to see if they offer that. As for online purchase and what not with shipping. Would it be beneficial to get a small kit locally since i am already behind the power curve or would it be safe to wait another week.

ive heard about the python and planned on getting one. We have a pet/fish store here locally, i will check to see if they offer that. As for online purchase and what not with shipping. Would it be beneficial to get a small kit locally since i am already behind the power curve or would it be safe to wait another week.

Keep up on water changes, and you will be fine.

Until you get a test kit, I would do daily water changes, or at least every other day. It does not REQUIRE a python, but a python is helpful. If you can't get a hold of a python soon...get ready to haul some buckets. 25% will be fine, even though I would suggest 50%. I don't think you want to carry 8 5gallon buckets to the bathroom, and 8 more to the tank though.

Back
Top Bottom