Newly Cycled 20 gal/New Inhabitants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfisher

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my newly cycled (Fishless-after 5 weeks with seeded materials) 20 gal. tall tank. I put a number of Red-Eyed Tetra and Rosy Tetra in to "test" the waters. :fish1: Most of these guys are temporary, and will be rehomed in a few weeks to make room for other occupants. These pictures are not great because of reflections and the fact that I tilted the camera. No, the camera tilted...the tank didn't.:ROFLMAO: This is also my first planted with real not artificial plants. So...lots of "Firsts" for me!!

Attachments

• IMG_2280.jpg
    IMG_2280.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 121
Absolutely stunning :). I love how natural it looks. I'm sure your fish are loving their new home. Congratulations and if they could talk I'm sure they'd say thank you for cycling the tank for them...not with them :)

Thanks Eco, I am excited that it turned out the way it did! I checked the water three times since yesterday...so nervous that something will turn nasty. I know...I am being neurotic. The fish seem happy but I have fasted them so I know they are looking forward to a good meal tomorrow! Poor babies. There is truly a real satisfaction from cycling the correct way. Thanks for all of your information and help.

Sounds great :). Remember though that your bottle of ammonia has done all the testing necessary. As long as it's dropping to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hours your tank is proven good to go. Fluctuating bio-loads over the weeks is actually riskier than adding your permanent fish now because the bacteria will begin to adjust to the fish you have, and you'll likely have a weaker bio-filter in a couple weeks than you have right now.

I'm not saying to fully 100% stock your tank right now, but as long as they are peaceful community fish you are introducing...I see no problem (in fact I recommend) adding 50-60% of your permanent fish right off the bat, then slowly stocking the rest over the course of the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom