Outer space themed planted 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UntimelyLord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey! I'm just getting started on a low-tech planted tank with a sci-fi/space theme.
The specs so far:
29 gallon tank
Sunsun 303b canister filter
Beamswork DA FSPEC LED (based on how this has worked on my 24" tank I think this will put me in the edge of low/medium light)
ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia

Originally I planned to stock with
12x Rocket Killifish
14x Celestial Pearl Danios
8x Kuhli Loaches
until I showed pictures to a friend and they pointed out that those three schools have the same main color scheme (cream/black). Now I'm thinking if I cut down school sizes a little I would have room for something else so maybe
10x Rocket Killifish
12x Celestial Pearl Danios
7x Kuhli Loaches
And then either a pair of apistogramma borellii, or 6 male endlers (Aq Advisor says I could do this and still have room for a mystery snail or two), or something else small peaceful and colorful. Does this sound reasonable? I'll be stocking slowly so it will be a while before I get that far. Plus I need to cycle and I know the Aqua Soil releases ammonia at first so it'll be a while before I even start with livestock.
Still waiting on filter and plants to come in the mail. I've tried to pick out some plants that are a bit alien looking but will still do well in low tech, like crinum and curly vals.
I painted the background with what I hope will pass for some stars while not being too distracting. Picked out some ohko stone (smooth ones for kuhlis) that could resemble pockmarked asteriods. I have little aquarium ornaments in the shape of a UFO and a floating satellite that I plan to place amongst the plants. I couldn't find a good Star Trek or Star Wars aquarium ornament but I have a little TARDIS a la Doctor Who on order from the UK.IMG_20170518_202744137.jpg
Not set on stone placement. Excited to get started!

The filter got here and I decided to fill the tank two days ago to start on cycling while waiting for plants to arrive (plants should be here Wednesday). Today the substrate has a white fuzz in some spots, like the kind that often forms on new driftwood, I assume because of the amount of organic nutrients that have yet to be broken down. I hope it will resolve on its own like the stuff on new driftwood.IMG_20170522_115118443.jpg

Boy that ADA Aqua Soil has a lot of tannins. I've done four 75% water changes and the water is finally looking clearish. Plants came in today and I'm pleased! Planting them did kick up the substrate some, so I'll wait for tomorrow for pictures, but not too bad. They were generous with the extra stems so it's kind of crowded in there! Once everything gets growing I may have to see if anyone is interested in trimmings, either here or at my local aquarium club, which I keep meaning to get around to visiting.

"Plant heavy," they said. "Okay," said I, and proceeded to turn my tank into a salad.
Okay, just kidding, it's not that bad. I just may have a problem with getting overexcited when selecting plants. Plus I got more stems than I even purchased, which is nice, but what do I do with it all?
Water's not clear yet, but I want to let the roots get a chance to establish a bit before I do more big water changes. Dosed ammonia to 4ppm.
IMG_20170525_212119093.jpg
Plants! Vallisneria Asiatica, aponogeton capuronii, Java fern windelov, cardamine lyrata, cabomba, micro sword, pygmy chain sword
Currently tiny: cryptocoryne undulata, crinum calamistratum, cryptocoryne retrospiralis
On the stones: buce (don't know what kind as these were freebies), Bolbitis "baby leaf"
Floating: small piece of salvinia cucullata

Looks good, it will grow in and you will see what you have grow best.
In the long run you will love it.

Hahaha. If your like me about half of them will live and solve the problem for you. Looks good. That rock has lots of character. Love the little saucer.

LMAO
Yeah, agreed I'm a plant killer..who sometimes gets lucky, not a plant grower!

Yes, over time you will see which plants do well and which ones don't. When I setup my tank I had over a dozen different types (ordered a lot to save on shipping). Fast forward one year and I think I had one or two of the original plants in there. It's an constantly changing process until you figure out what grows and what pleases you.

Thanks all!
Diatoms are here, but they brush off easily and are to be expected. IMG_20170530_122217680.jpg

The vals are about 70% melted; I removed the melted bits. Unsure if it's just because vals melt in new tanks sometimes or because the aqua soil Amazonia is lowering the pH and vals don't like lower pH; pH was 6.6 despite being filled with 7.8 water, so I did a water change to get it to 7.2. (7.2 is where I want it to sit once stabilized; will mix RO water with tap to get the pH I want once the soil runs out of pH lowering capacity)

I find the vals melt a bit but come back pretty well.
Thanks, here's hoping!

Starting two days ago I began seeing hair-like algae. It is nothing like the hair algae I have battled in my other tank. It is brown and very fragile, so that when I go to pull it out it falls into pieces and goes everywhere. It's grown very fast! I will lessen lighting period (was 8 hours total broken into two 4 hour lengths). I am also very slowly increasing Excel to the full dose so as not to kill the vals. Hoping it will likely pass as tank matures like diatoms?IMG_20170601_173410847_HDR.jpg

Upon further research I'm pretty sure the algae in the above post is filamentous diatoms. Good news for me.

View attachment 300121
Not much to report. Spread out the cardamine a little so it can get light better. Had to weigh down the micro sword with extra plant weights because it kept lifting up. It's grown some nice roots though. I plan on removing the weights when the roots are established. I'd worry about metal bits hidden in the substrate hurting kuhlis. Pygmy chain sword is yellowing some but I figure it's adjusting or may be emmersed growth.
The cycle hasn't gone anywhere yet. Boo. My little brother complains about the tank not having fish every time he comes over.

Back
Top Bottom