Ponyo in a 20 Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
This build is a 20 gallon long tank with a Current Satellite LED+ with pressurized CO2. I currently dose twice a week with NilocG Thrive.

Hayao Miyazaki is a director known for films with gorgeous scenery, among other things. One of my favorite of his movies is Ponyo, the story of a magical fish who falls in love with a human, Sousuke. In her attempt to be with him, she brings the entire ocean with her, submerging all but the highest points of the city with an ocean full of renewed life.

Sousuke lives with his mother and father in a house on a bluff near the end of the city.

iP1wNOA.jpg

The city is on a harbor

28a8ca6ad550b9b4fe6b4bae3c5ce913.jpg

and is based on the real-life city of Tomonoura.

I decided, for this build, to focus on the shoreline, road, house, and tunnel where Sousuke and Ponyo walk through.

I decided to split the substrate— using Eco Complete for the part that would otherwise have been above water and sand for the ocean floor. I sketched it out

planning the shoreline by Shine, on Flickr

Built the template

shoreline template by Shine, on Flickr

threw and modeled one shoreline

first shoreline by Shine, on Flickr

decided that was too tall so did another

second shoreline by Shine, on Flickr

and that one was lumpy so I stamped some swirls

second shoreline 3 by Shine, on Flickr

second shoreline 2 by Shine, on Flickr

second shoreline swirls 1 by Shine, on Flickr

I have thrown a third shoreline. I still need to make the tunnel, and I’m sorting out which plants I want to use.

Ooooh, this looks cool. I've thought about the idea of a fantasy genre themed tank but struggled with how to make it look asthetically pleasing. This looks like it's coming along great! Interested to see how it goes!

I'm so excited. I'm firing this weekend. I usually bisque and then glaze, but I'm combining the two firings for this. I'm hoping it will make it look a bit more cohesive.

We have three puffers in quarantine- Puffy, Poofer, and Pumpkin. We'll be getting three more once these three are happy in their permanent home.

I just loaded my kiln! So exciting!

Here's a question: is it possible to divide this tank so that I can keep the ramshorns without them being a constant buffet for the pea puffers? We have added three to the line-up for a total of six. (Copter, Diddy, and Puppy) They are going to love their home!

Wow cannot wait for this! I love studio ghibli films, huge influence on myself as an artist. I love pony and spirited away, definitely my tops.

I'd like to do a spirited away tank some day, maybe my next rescape ;)

Cheers,
Rexx

1488214412475.jpg
1488214418849.jpg

I'm waiting for the heater (should be Wednesday) before I fill the tank. Super short dry start!

Also, I'm terrible at visualizing angle of repose. Even with supports, I couldn't keep the hill with the house up.

Keep the plants wet or they may wilt.
I have read about aquascapers using stockings filled to build up mounds?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom