Quick build Autumnsky Waterbox 2418 Clear 30G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big water change (50%), and the snails always get out to munch on things. Fun pic here...
60074-albums14791-picture72741.jpg

Ha ha. Food is pretty much how I get everyone to like me. :)

The new tetras do look like little sharks. That photography is stunning. Love to see them living their lives...

That's a fascinating thread on the river tank. Love the driftwood above the waterline (would never have thought to do that), and the rocks are gorgeous! I gather all my wood from the shores of the Potomac around here and have found some really nice pieces. I hope someday to have a tank big enough for Boesmani rainbows and Congo tetras together--my largest so far is just a 55. I'm fascinated by your tanks that seem to recreate and stay true to geographic locations. I have always just thrown in what I think is pretty or interesting without thinking much about accuracy.

Appreciate your response about the calcium. I was wondering if you needed it for shells of invertebrates or something. I have enjoyed following your threads about shrimp tanks.

Thank you for sharing and the kind words. My tanks wouldn't be true biotopes for the most part, but in the spirit of their native environment.

It is fascinating watching videos of fish in their native homes, although some fish, are hard to find in video / documentary type footage. I always look around for it when thinking of new tanks. Read up to see what other people have done and how they set their fish up.

Also it is so interesting how many kinds of sand can be found (to use in tanks). Obviously sand comes from all locations around the world - river areas (past and present)and oceans, and these days there are more avenues to get things from "exotic" places, and far away locations.

Like purple Garnet sand from Idaho which is close to me but not close enough to scoop up myself), but there is also a sunset orange Garnet type which is really beautiful.

Enjoying the tank is the objective, along with having a good home for the inhabitants. The creatures are so fascinating!

Got a few pics today of the new fish, will load them up asap.

Did a pwc and realized I need to do a substrate vac and move some fish, there are too many in there, I added some male Guppies and Endlers to get them out of the 72G tank.

A couple weeks ago I added 2 African Dwarf Frogs and they seem to be doing just fine. Also 6 Green Fire Tetras.

The Pencilfish are really colored up maybe will get babies, but not with these Wadai in the tank :eek:.

Unfortunately my guppies/Endlers population continue to grow and it is hard to get rid of them. I was told by the guy I got them from, Guppy and Endlers fry will be devoured quickly when the Wadai go in the 72G. In the mean time I just need to get rid of about 75 of them and move over the Wadai to the 72G.

But I was thinking since there are about 22 of the Wadai, maybe for a while I could leave a group of 6 in the 30G Water box and get the others set up in the 72G. Still trying to decide where all the fish will end up. I like seeing the Wadai swimming all around schooling when they do not think I am watching them... :) :brows:

"...when they do not think I am watching them" Heh heh!

My poor little flame gourami doesn't like to be watched, either. He used to come to greet me and get food, but since quarantine he is worried I might be carrying a net. When I come to the tank now, he often hides in his bridge.

Love the picture of the snails having a chat! I just added some trumpet snails recently for sand stirring.

I am still trying to wrap my mind around the sheer numbers of fish you have. Are the Wadai doing their job? You need to upload those pictures you promised!

On edit: About sand....When I was a kid, we lived in Hawaii and other places overseas, and my parents collected sand from all over the Pacific. We used to have boxes of green sand, black sand, rose-colored sand..... What I wouldn't give to have access to all that now!

"...when they do not think I am watching them" Heh heh!

My poor little flame gourami doesn't like to be watched, either. He used to come to greet me and get food, but since quarantine he is worried I might be carrying a net. When I come to the tank now, he often hides in his bridge.

Love the picture of the snails having a chat! I just added some trumpet snails recently for sand stirring.

I am still trying to wrap my mind around the sheer numbers of fish you have. Are the Wadai doing their job? You need to upload those pictures

you promised!

On edit: About sand....When I was a kid, we lived in Hawaii and other places overseas, and my parents collected sand from all over the Pacific. We used to have boxes of green sand, black sand, rose-colored sand..... What I wouldn't give to have access to all that now!

So sorry I read this but it has been so busy the response slipped through the cracks. Soooo!

One pic
60074-albums14791-picture72757.jpg

60074-albums14791-picture72719.jpg

The Orange Poso / Rabbit snail

60074-albums14791-picture72741.jpg

~~~~~~~~

All the Wadai Tetras moved over to the 72G.

One was left after I had to remove all the wood and stones just to get them out. They can lay flat, under rocks when you try to catch them, can you believe it? and one Ram ended up in the 72G :nono:

There are now appx 13 Bolivian Rams. And 3 Fire Tetras. 3 didn't last QT period.

Still a group of Pygmy Cories hiding in moss and DW. I see them at feeding time.

Will get some newer pics up soon, with the new fish.

I added 2 Dwarf African Frogs - one is a bit aggressive with grabbing a fish a couple weeks ago and clawing him, like they were both going for the same clump of food! I was shocked. At first I thought it was merely an accident, but then the food fell and the ADF grabbed him again. You just never know what to expect.

Today I saw the ADF swim up and grab some bits of food falling down in the water, so, unlike some ADF, this one seems to be able to see very well. I always drop food right on top of the frogs so they get some.

I am sitting here laughing--glad you posted the snail picture again, and can't believe I assumed last time that it was two snails on opposite sides of the glass in a divided tank. I seem to have more in common with my betta (who is constantly flaring at his reflection) than I like to admit!

I can't say it enough...Your pictures are amazing and really capture the lives and experience of your fish. That first picture, where he is looking back at you....Can I express how much I love that...seeing into these worlds.

I will have to look into bolivian rams. I had GBRs years ago and did well with the first pair, but I lost track of that breeder, and the second pair I tried died within a few months. I've contacted several people about them since then, and everyone says it's hard to find good lines now--that they all seem to be so fragile. I have had my heart set on the GBRs, though, because of their colors. I love rams and how smart they are.

Love your updates on the tanks and am always looking forward to the new pictures...

I am sitting here laughing--glad you posted the snail picture again, and can't believe I assumed last time that it was two snails on opposite sides of the glass in a divided tank. I seem to have more in common with my betta (who is constantly flaring at his reflection) than I like to admit!

I can't say it enough...Your pictures are amazing and really capture the lives and experience of your fish. That first picture, where he is looking back at you....Can I express how much I love that...seeing into these worlds.

I will have to look into bolivian rams. I had GBRs years ago and did well with the first pair, but I lost track of that breeder, and the second pair I tried died within a few months. I've contacted several people about them since then, and everyone says it's hard to find good lines now--that they all seem to be so fragile. I have had my heart set on the GBRs, though, because of their colors. I love rams and how smart they are.

Love your updates on the tanks and am always looking forward to the new pictures...

First off before I forget,

CoralBandit has been a breeder of the Rams GBR, and other colors.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/coralbandit-99907.html

You can click the contact info tab and send a PM. You might just find enough info in the thread or if you search his other threads and also maybe the one below, not sure if they are shown in pics.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/coralbandits-fish-room-362673.html

~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, after the snail pic posted I realized it was 2x but hey the snail is photogenic! :lol:

Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. And here is a fun pic I snapped before when I realized they were all waiting for some snacks! I got them some food, either the San Francisco Bay Brand Marine Cuisine or Hikari Cyclops frozen cubes.
60074-albums14791-picture72771.jpg

They moved away when I went to get their food and when I came back I stood there for a second and saw they came back to eat. So then got a few pics of them. Here is one now in case I totally forget again. A few things going on and too busy right now to load and post more!

There are 13, maybe 14 of these guys. The really bright setting on the light washes them out in this pic. If it was on the cloudy setting they would have looked slightly more colorful.

Trying to decide on which tanks to move some fish around to or not. This larger group should be in a larger tank, plus there are maybe ~ 8 more coming which weren't captured the first round and need a home still unless my friend finds someone else who wants them.

I really was tickled that they were all just starring at me like that. I got a few pics of the Wadai Tetras in the 72G recently as well and a video of my Hatchet fish in the 72G and the little CPO dwarf cray, around the same day or 2!

Happy to see the fish all swimming and coming out more in all the tanks. Maybe they just really like the variety of frozen foods I have been feeding much more often!!!

Changes / Moving

Been 138 days since I posted on this tank.

Since then I switched things around a little, but just recently moved homes and have a different set up.

New set up is the same sand, but sifted out the planted tank balls as they got all mixed up together when I emptied the tank to move it.

Since I was pressured for time when moving and switching the fish all around, selling tanks and buying a new one, things didn't go as I had hoped.

All sand right now. moved the Dwarf Sag towards the front right as my husband said he liked to see them swaying in the water current.

Before they were in the back right corner, and over taken by moss and many died out.

Nothing is planted in the back just a vertical DW with moss, Susswassertang, and DW with Anubias, so not needed back there.

I did remove some Pink Flamingo Crypt from a shrimp tank and plant them on the left side and will add some fert caps soon.

Just moved more fish out of the over crowded tank this morning and I like the amount of fish better. I was waiting to see how the 72G was doing, and it seems fine. And they moved.

Stocking now is

5 (maybe 6) Nannostomas Marginatus Pencilfish

~10 Neon Tetras

Blue Rim Male Plakat Betta

5 Hyphessobrycon Wadai Tetras aka Bluberry or Blackberry Tetra (Rarely found in the USA)
One has a deformity so can't be with the large group ( ~18 in the 72G) and I didn't want to put it down. It was all alone before but seemed a little sad and I added a few friends to keep him company.

It is highly unlikely there would ever be any fry as they would be eaten. If there end up being some, I can take measures then. Might take out 2 more to leave 3.

A few Guppies/ Endlers

5 WCMM

A mix of Cories, several Bronze/Green, 1 Habrosus Cory (adopted), 2 or 3 Peppered Cories. (they just spawned a few days back)

These are left from the years of keeping them, reason there aren't bigger groups. And the Albino Cories went into the 72G, they were all together, but there were just TOO many bottom guys in there.

A CPO Dwarf Crayfish

2 ADF / dwarf frogs

5 cull PRL shrimp

~7 or 8 Striped Kuhli Loaches

Mystery Snails

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This tank ended up being a catch all for the tanks I shut down. There is quite a bit going on, but looks pretty balanced for where all the fish stay/ swim within the tank.

It is filtered with a AquaClear 110 and a AC 30 (50?) I think.

Likely an appropriate amount of filtration for the group in there now. Have been considering a canister filter.

Have 2 heaters but for some reason I had them set too low and the tank was about 68F - just raised it up a few degrees and it will be around 77F hopefully in a couple days.

Using the awesome Ecoxotic 24" FW light bar.

Will do some pics later.

Last edited:
Bronze Green Cories were chasing each other around like there was no tomorrow, frolicking for hours on Sunday. Expected to see eggs, but either they arrived over night and were eaten by morning or they just didn't happen yet, it was very entertaining.

This tank is very fun to watch.

I just searched up the Wadai tetras on google as I was not familiar with them and wow they are stunners!

They are rarely found I guess around the U.S., usually special order or said from Wet Spot, it is really lucky I was able to get them from a fellow hobbyist.

They are really different. Nice and active, a little bit shy, but if they think they are getting fed, very happy and right out to see you, hahaha.

Long, long time no update. That will be later just wanted to post my little baby Dwarf Pencilfish Nannostomas Marginatus, spawned in the tank.

There is one, I am wishing to find a few more!!! Up at the top center in the moss.

60074-albums14791-picture73009.jpg

Autumn …. From your saltwater buddy on the salty side of things … your tank looks beautiful

Autumn …. From your saltwater buddy on the salty side of things … your tank looks beautiful

Aw, thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In transparency, there are several long and luxurious fluffy breakouts of BBA. On DW and on my Anubias Nana attached to it. The Betta enjoys the fluffy BBA hangouts.

It is going to get a cleaning refresh for those issues and adjust the fish stocking, and hopefully the BBA will meet it's doom!

Plan is to treat the tuftiness with Excel outside of the tank, and some little dots of H2O2 3% from the grocery store pharmacy section after that initial attempt

It seems that in the handful of trips 10 days, 2 weeks to 6 weeks in the past year, which I was away from home, times of no lights on the tank for weeks, or turned on 24/7 for weeks and missing pwc's while I was gone has not helped.

This tank is open top and normally I do gallons of water changes every week, just because I use the water for the plants, in the house and in warm weather, the veggies on the deck. So normally it has an actual pwc plus probably 10G additionally throughout the week.

I am looking at making or purchasing a top of some sorts, in part to help reduce evaporation. I have a custom sized top with net for the reef tank, and see another company who builds custom tops. It seems pretty expensive though, and there in would be the other option to DIY.

One thing I realized was that I didn't add the Purigen to the tank after I moved, I do think that was a product which really helped my tanks look great previous to the moving.

Please feel free to share any tips or advice.

It's been about a year since I moved and reset it up and a good refresh is needed.

It's been a rotation of maintenance for all the tanks and this one is looking to be next. I will probably get a few pics and do a before and after.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom