Ryan's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
like so many of you that i have been following along for the past little over a year, I have decided to start a thread with all my tanks to keep it in one place. I was about to update my 5.5 gallon thread and decided it would be best to just consolidate them all into one.

but before i get started i wanted to just say this, the advice i have gotten from you guys on here over the last little over a year has helped me in more ways than any of you could know. This hobby helped me keep focused on something and keep my mind off of some of my personal demons, and for that I am eternally grateful for all the help I received from this site when i posted asking for advice on how to start a planted tank.

ill slowly add the 3 tanks i have running to this thread throughout the next few days, probably with end up putting them all on here today honestly.

but again thanks so much to everyone who has helped me along the way, and thanks for following along

Yayyy I'm in!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445558306.495792.jpg
This is where it all started, my first tank without my dad doing all the work from when I was a kid.

This is what my 29 looked like 14 months ago, beautiful I know, that blue gravel gives a nice all natural look, but I guess the important thing is that I have learned a whole lot since then. Started out by just buying a bunch of plants from pet smart I didn't know what they were or how they grew, the two swords are the only ones that have made it to today

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445558481.097817.jpg

This is the 29 as it sits today, a vast improvement I think from where it was 14 months ago

Right now it's stocked with
1 angelfish(not sure which type, it was gifted to me
1 German blue ram(lost the female today she was pretty beat up when I found her)
6 red skirt tetras
2 baby sailfin précis
5 peppered cories
1 stubborn baby yellow African cichlid that I have no idea how it is in there in the first place

Plant wise there are
Crypt wendtii
Crypt undulata red
Green crypts
Christmas moss
Amazon swords
Ludwiga
Anubis
Brazilian penywort
Red root floaters
Amazon frogbit
And crypt balanse

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool thread... Not sure if I missed something but what are your plans for the African?

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

Cool thread... Not sure if I missed something but what are your plans for the African?

It's just in there, I had a few Africans in there that were dumped off at pet smart when my girlfriend worked there and I rehomed them a couple months ago and the tank sat almost with no water for about a month before I refilled it and I found him in there

Alright so now onto the ten gallon,

It was dirted about 2 months ago, will never not use dirt in a planted tank again

It's stocked with
1half moon betta
6 neon tetras
5 panda corries

Plant wise it's
Amazon sword
Crypt wendtii
Crypt undulata red
Crypt balanse
Christmas moss
Amazon frogbit

I know it's a bit over stocked but nitrates are always below 5 ppm and I haven't lost any fish so i feel it's ok

If anyone disagrees please let me know

I am having a hair algae issue so I'm thinking of trying the product Dustin is selling over on dustinsfishtanks

Ill let you know if it works out

FTS
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445800583.977326.jpg

And I guess I'll go ahead and put the 5.5 gal in here

I was going to make a nano reef(great idea I know) and realized with the amount of water loss with no hood that was not going to be fun at all

So I have it set back up for fresh water

No stock yet as it is cycling( won't stock it until I get into the new house and have my mancave/fish room)

Plants are
1-crypt wendtii
Ludwiga
Crypt undulata red
And some of the chain sword(not sure which but I believe it's the taller one)

It is also dirted and has a gravel cap

FTS
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445807856.051534.jpg

Dang that is some nasty hair
Algae. Maybe an h202dip. I'm pretty sure dustbins prdict is good but expensive. Maybe you need to cut down on the lighting to stop the hair algae all together. Or dose ferts and co2 to balance it out. For now is manually remove as much as I can without touching/ hurting the scale. The crypts are rocking it in the ten btw! Like the driftwood placement too

Cn

Dang that is some nasty hair
Algae. Maybe an h202dip. I'm pretty sure dustbins prdict is good but expensive. Maybe you need to cut down on the lighting to stop the hair algae all together. Or dose ferts and co2 to balance it out. For now is manually remove as much as I can without touching/ hurting the scale. The crypts are rocking it in the ten btw! Like the driftwood placement too

Cn

Running the light only 6hrs a day right now so idk how much more I can cut back, been thinking about trying co2 but not 100% sold on it

I like my pretty much low matenence demands right now

I know it's a bit over stocked but nitrates are always below 5 ppm and I haven't lost any fish so i feel it's ok

And I guess I'll go ahead and put the 5.5 gal in here

I was going to make a nano reef(great idea I know) and realized with the amount of water loss with no hood that was not going to be fun at all

So I have it set back up for fresh water

No stock yet as it is cycling( won't stock it until I get into the new house and have my mancave/fish room)

Nice tanks!

Don't think that 10g is overstocked at all.

A group of pygmy spotted rasboras would look great in the 5.5g.

Nice tanks!

Don't think that 10g is overstocked at all.

A group of pygmy spotted rasboras would look great in the 5.5g.

Thanks Theresa! Means a lot coming from you

I don't think I have seen those before, I was afraid I was going to be stuck with just another beta(not that I don't like Betas) or shrimp (which I know nothing about so I'll look into those

Thanks Theresa! Means a lot coming from you

I don't think I have seen those before, I was afraid I was going to be stuck with just another beta(not that I don't like Betas) or shrimp (which I know nothing about so I'll look into those

You're welcome!

They're Boraras maculatus, really nice little fish. Good size for a small tank, not shy, great color.

img_3297848_0_e38aa852b1fc8cac3e9d6204d6a70412.jpg

Another option for a variety of color would be a group of male Endlers.

You're welcome!

They're Boraras maculatus, really nice little fish. Good size for a small tank, not shy, great color.

img_3297850_0_e38aa852b1fc8cac3e9d6204d6a70412.jpg

Another option for a variety of color would be a group of male Endlers.

Those are gorgeous, what is a good size school for my tank? And it seems I would need a glass lid?

Those are gorgeous, what is a good size school for my tank? And it seems I would need a glass lid?

I keep 10 in a 5g with no problems, you could easily do the same.

They're definitely mid to top level fish but I don't think they're known to be jumpers.

I keep 10 in a 5g with no problems, you could easily do the same.

They're definitely mid to top level fish but I don't think they're known to be jumpers.

That sounds awesome! And the only article I have read on them warned on jumping so I wasn't sure

Do you keep and shrimp with them or species only?

That sounds awesome! And the only article I have read on them warned on jumping so I wasn't sure

Do you keep and shrimp with them or species only?

Not currently but I have in the past. They might eat shrimplets depending on how heavy the tank is planted (or other hiding places) but not adults.

Not currently but I have in the past. They might eat shrimplets depending on how heavy the tank is planted (or other hiding places) but not adults.

Alright thanks! I'm a little curious on trying out shrimp they seem fun so I figure this is a good tank to try, though I'm starting to enjoy my smaller tanks more than my larger ones for whatever reason so I'm hoping for a couple more 5 gallons for Christmas from santa(the mrs)

HAHA! Finally caught the little yellow lab/peacock hybrid or whatever he is!

After two months I finally got him!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445917649.001886.jpg

Update: added some Cyprus helferi to the 5.5

Heard its hit or miss so we will see how it goes

I think it looks good though, also planning on adding some neons and maybe an angelfish or two to the 29

Need to see how aqadvisor reacts and then most likely completely disregard

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446252361.224742.jpg

Cough cough* Angels* Cough Cough*Phillipine Blue* Cough Cough

Sorry I'm a bit sick today

Cn

Back
Top Bottom