TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ermagerd, Theresa, have you seen ricciocarpus natans? Go to the Google! It's erbazing! Okokok, I know it says medium light, that's not too bad. And it's really pretty!

Never heard of it, will have to do some research!

Salvinia stinks with high flow. It gets blown around a lot. I put a floating plant "island" for mine and it's doing better. My Frogbit loves it also.

Dwarf water lettuce looks cool. I'm getting some on Thursday do I'll tell you how I like it.

Didn't know that about the salvinia, thanks. I might try it in the Endlers tank since that's just running a sponge filter.

I have a few pieces of dwarf water lettuce that came as a bonus with some other plants. It's in the Evolve which has medium flow. So far it's kept nice color but hasn't shown any growth. Would definitely like to know how it does for you!

Have your scarlet badis ever spawned? I noticed in another thread that it looks like you have m/f. Maybe I am wrong and the second male is just lighter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have your scarlet badis ever spawned? I noticed in another thread that it looks like you have m/f. Maybe I am wrong and the second male is just lighter.
I had a 1M/2F trio in a 2.5g with a few shrimp and scuds. They were doing very well but for whatever reason I decided to move them to the Spec 5. Lost 1 male quickly then 1 of the females not long after. Didn't want to take a chance with the last girl so I rehomed her. Really great fish, I have no idea what went wrong when I moved them :(

Working on an order with Han...need some basic shrimp supplies (IAL, alder cones) plus a bunch of cholla wood. Plan to kind of make stacks of it in each corner of the Spec. Getting some dwarf water lettuce, salvinia minima, and moneywort as well.

Big news is I finally decided it was time and placed a bid on a small group of lower grade CRS/CBS. Auction ends soon-ish so even if I get them at my high bid they're still less than I paid for many of my Neos. Really just want to give them a try and see how they do in the water here.

How are Han's prices compared to Aquatic Arts? ._.

I just checked Aquatic Arts. They don't have the plants I'm looking for and no CRS surprisingly. As far as supplies they are at least twice as expensive for IAL, alder cones, and cholla wood.

I got way over bid on the CRS overnight so I may actually order some of Han's shrimp. They're a bit higher quality than the auction and I know the pH he keeps them at is similar to mine.

Maybe it's for the best. You know the quality, what to expect and sounds good value for money. Does it get better than that?

Salvinia stinks with high flow. It gets blown around a lot. I put a floating plant "island" for mine and it's doing better. My Frogbit loves it also.

Dwarf water lettuce looks cool. I'm getting some on Thursday do I'll tell you how I like it.

You're onlyy biased because I spiked it with duckherps.. it's actually a great floating plant when not compromised with such a tiny nuisance plant. Back in the good ole days my 20long with 2 ac's (50,30) had a full Glass top and a tight blanket of salv. Looked great and didn't get messed with by the flow. If it's an open top tank I'd reccomend water lettuce with red riot floaters mixed in.. i like water lettuce because of the pronounced hanging roots but it won't do a glass top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So which tank will the CRS go into? Very excited for you.

They'll be in the Spec with the Neos. Since I moved and re-did that tank I've seen soooo many more shrimplets! I'm actually getting them from another source, will update later this evening.

You're onlyy biased because I spiked it with duckherps.. it's actually a great floating plant when not compromised with such a tiny nuisance plant. Back in the good ole days my 20long with 2 ac's (50,30) had a full Glass top and a tight blanket of salv. Looked great and didn't get messed with by the flow. If it's an open top tank I'd reccomend water lettuce with red riot floaters mixed in.. i like water lettuce because of the pronounced hanging roots but it won't do a glass top.

I really do like the dangly roots! But omg duckherps, that's fantastic (y)

Grrrrr duckherps

My Multies are stupid and killed them for me

The duckweed got blown down by the canister output and the Multies would chew them up and spit them out relentlessly. They never learn.

Nah I was PO'd by the salvinia before I knew duckherps was duckherps. When I still thought it was baby salvinia.

The salvinia would always get stuck to my filter intake and floated behind my HOB where it wouldn't get any light.

In a tank with low flow im sure it would do much better. I like it now that it's contained though

Duckherps isn't that bad guys. Eheim skimmer is an easy way to remove it if ya don't like it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Grrrrr duckherps

My Multies are stupid and killed them for me

The duckweed got blown down by the canister output and the Multies would chew them up and spit them out relentlessly. They never learn.

Nah I was PO'd by the salvinia before I knew duckherps was duckherps. When I still thought it was baby salvinia.

The salvinia would always get stuck to my filter intake and floated behind my HOB where it wouldn't get any light.

In a tank with low flow im sure it would do much better. I like it now that it's contained though

Your multies reminds me of my dogs and bugs :rolleyes::blink:

Duckherps isn't that bad guys. Eheim skimmer is an easy way to remove it if ya don't like it

It just amazes me that getting even the smallest bit in a tank can quickly turn into a lot! Honestly though I don't mind it now that I have the plant guard and can keep it under control.

False. It gets stuck in filter media and gets spit out, still alive and kicking, days later.

It doesn't help when your filter is transparent :lol: (one of them)

Sorry for the hijack BTW

False. It gets stuck in filter media and gets spit out, still alive and kicking, days later.

Sorry for the hijack BTW

No problem, I'm still laughing about duckherps!

Did some shopping today. Placed an order with Han for cholla, IAL, alder cones, and the floating plants.

Found 10 S-SS grade CRS on eBay for just over $40 including shipping! Exchanged a few emails with the breeder/seller who keeps them in similar water params.

Lost two of my favorite male Endlers though, my fault. Took a break from netting fry and left the lid open, very angry with myself. So now I'm researching where to get male orchid/peacock/rainbow males.

Shot of the grow out tank from this evening. Current floaters will be replaced with the salvinia, also going to add in a few stems of moneywort.

img_3301200_0_ce1ce0cfd0ed7145aed67139283be305.jpg

Sorry for the hijack BTW

I guess I've been lucky then. Duckherps hasn't been an issue for me.

Did some shopping today. Placed an order with Han for cholla, IAL, alder cones, and the floating plants.

Found 10 S-SS grade CRS on eBay for just over $40 including shipping! Exchanged a few emails with the breeder/seller who keeps them in similar water params.

Lost two of my favorite male Endlers though, my fault. Took a break from netting fry and left the lid open, very angry with myself. So now I'm researching where to get male orchid/peacock/rainbow males.

Shot of the grow out tank from this evening. Current floaters will be replaced with the salvinia, also going to add in a few stems of moneywort.

img_3301219_0_ce1ce0cfd0ed7145aed67139283be305.jpg

I'm sorry $40 for shrimp?! Do they do tricks or something? *says the person that spends $50 on 1 fish...it a sw thing*
Does it have to do with the grade of shrimp? Could you explain the grades?

I guess I've been lucky then. Duckherps hasn't been an issue for me.

I'm sorry $40 for shrimp?! Do they do tricks or something? *says the person that spends $50 on 1 fish...it a sw thing*
Does it have to do with the grade of shrimp? Could you explain the grades?

$40 for 10 crystal red shrimp including shipping is pretty darn cheap actually. I've seen varieties of shrimp purchased singly for far more than that. These are mid to high grade which is why I really checked into the seller's feedback and chatted with him. This link shows pics of the various grades without getting into too much crazy detail.

Did I TL;DR what kind of plant is on the right with the gorgeous coloring?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Salvinia reminds me of hairy duckweed. A bit larger but just as prolific. At first I thought what's the worse that can happen with ONE little plant. When I had it I was using a net every other week to trawl the surface. In lesser light it should be manageable.
There's a member at a local fish club that people take their duckweed to. They greet her with a bag of duckweed at the monthly meetings. She feeds it to her goldfish.
The plant on the right appears to be Ludwigia species 'red' with some green transitional growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom