TMRC's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are having a hard time finding meeki? Personally I would be happy if they had maculipinnis, pasionis or better yet mixteco.

Jesse, I live in a fairly rural area, anything exotic is hard to get.

Mike- yes just finding meeki is very tough in these parts. Lots of africans, few Americans. I was thrilled to even get a choice in the matter. I was planning a blind order for the same species. If it turns out to be maculpinnis then its a lucky day, if not I'm happy with my fire mouth.

I didn't realize it would be hard in some areas. Here every petsmart petco and pet supplies plus have them.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Only Petco and pet smart here and neither carry firemouths or less common centrals. I had to visit a "mom and pop"(read rich tech bloom guru") store to acquire this one.

Funny thing. I have 2 petsmarts about 3 miles apart. 1 1/2 their tanks are African the rest tropicals. The other one is all flower horns and oscars. And the rest tropical.

I didn't realize it would be hard in some areas. Here every petsmart petco and pet supplies plus have them.

My Petsmarts carry them, but I've never actually seen any in the tanks. Only Americans readily available at the stores here are Oscars, JD, and convicts.

Jesse

My Petsmarts carry them, but I've never actually seen any in the tanks. Only Americans readily available at the stores here are Oscars, JD, and convicts.

Jesse

Plenty varieties of Oscars here in separate tanks. A few (2-3) JDs lots of Africans, a few tangs, one store with acaras, the rest feature mainly the dreaded assorted African tanks, my local Petco manager assured me earlier today that ordering assorted fish were saving me money over ordering specific fish. (Not where I made my purchase as I begged to differ.)

My usual LFS doesn't often have an amazing variety on hand, but will order whatever you want for no additional cost. Her usual stock is convicts, JD, jags, Oscars, severums, and gt on occasion. Africans are the typical mbuna selection. I stopped by yesterday and got a nice surprise. She had a ~8" silver Aro, gator gar, blue and albino channel cats, trimacs, juvie frontosa, sp44, and several other new things. Made me excited to see her offering new stuff. Hopefully people start buying the new things and she continues to keep more variety in stock. You've been to Kingsport, its not a big place by any means, so this had me fairly excited

Jesse

Yup, in 3 visits to kingsport "big city" has never been a thought that has occurred, that said ive always been within two miles of the track and do not know much else of the area. My visits have always had a point, that nice 3/8 mile 17 second oval. So cool that despite living 200 miles away I've been there, spent the weekend there, cussed out bad driving locals there, I feel for you in transit.

Yeah its rough at times, defiantly some non-driving folks around here. My 175,000 population from earlier was including Johnson City and Bristol, as they're both a 10-15 drive. Funny enough Kingsport has the only 2 LFS I will shop at.

Jesse

I must be lucky I'm surrounded by a lot of lfs from big fish, salt, rare fish the guy won't sell to your regular petco crap fish lol

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So now for some suggestions on full stocking. Currently the firemouth is in a 29 but I have the 40 breeder sitting here ready for time to switch, what are suggestions on stocking the 40 breeder now that I've nailed down the convict and the fire mouth.
I know I will I have
1 female convict approx 2 inches
1 unknown firemouth approx 1.5 inches

I'm not opposed to another firemouth, so one more is possible but I would like to include a third species plus a small school of dithers.

Maybe an electric blue acara
You may have better luck than I did.

Maybe an electric blue acara
You may have better luck than I did.

I had considered it but I'm trying to look for other options. The problems with the acara are that the ones I've looked at are bigger than the firemouth and them being south american. Id like to keep to centrals if possible, I was looking for maybe a more exotic centerpiece fish that i could order. Any recommendations on a small school of dithers as well? Maybe about 8 Buenos Aires tetras or any other suggestions?

I had considered it but I'm trying to look for other options. The problems with the acara are that the ones I've looked at are bigger than the firemouth and them being south american. Id like to keep to centrals if possible, I was looking for maybe a more exotic centerpiece fish that i could order. Any recommendations on a small school of dithers as well? Maybe about 8 Buenos Aires tetras or any other suggestions?

Never had them but every one always suggest lemon tetras. Nice thing about the aires is they are often on sale at petsmart for $1

They're listed as 40 gal minimum in places online. My LFS has green severum about half dollar size. If they began to outgrow the 40 I have no problem moving the entire group to a bigger tank, probably a 75.

8 to 10" full grown. Not sure how well they will do with the con. Probably ok with the firemouth.

Back
Top Bottom