Untamed natural planted tanks!����

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cammywammy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Planted tanks add a natural beauty to fish tanks. Some choose to invest in lots of money to buy fancy equipment and spend time on weekly plant trimming while others prefer the more simple yet more wild approach.

Here's my wild planted tank:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388349691.790750.jpg

Inhabiting this tank are 3 baby Mickey Mouse mollies 5 neon tetras 2 golden apple snails 2 red cherry shrimp and some Malaysian trumpet snails.

Feel free to add pictures of your wild planted tank or reply with questions or friendly comments!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388349676.742275.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388349676.742275.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 228
Thanks I appreciate it! Actually doesn't look as good as it did early today but had to do a water change and I ended up moving some moss around but it will spread out and grow again!

I'm sad I didn't take a picture of mine! I did a massive trim in my 10g today as my fish ran out of room to swim :)

I've decided this is pretty much the route I will go with one of my tanks... Just need some extra cash :)

Planted tanks add a natural beauty to fish tanks. Some choose to invest in lots of money to buy fancy equipment and spend time on weekly plant trimming while others prefer the more simple yet more wild approach.

Here's my wild planted tank:
View attachment 214168

Inhabiting this tank are 3 baby Mickey Mouse mollies 5 neon tetras 2 golden apple snails 2 red cherry shrimp and some Malaysian trumpet snails.

Feel free to add pictures of your wild planted tank or reply with questions or friendly comments!

Nice looking tank Cammy. Do you plan to add any other plants or will you just let what you have fill up the tank?

I'm sad I didn't take a picture of mine! I did a massive trim in my 10g today as my fish ran out of room to swim :)

Haha i have a bucket of mixed trimmings for the same reason.

I've decided this is pretty much the route I will go with one of my tanks... Just need some extra cash :)

Time to ask your parents what odd jobs they need done round the house (y) I would send you some of my Ludwigia, Cabomba and Pennywort trimmings and enough Java moss to infest your tank but we aren't on the same continent :nono: What plants do you have in transit at the moment?

Actually I had a lot of other plants before. I used to have DIY co2 and organic dirt capped with sand and I would trim my plants. But then I got tired of doing all that work and caught up with other stuff and left my tank alone. Once I did a water change with my water changer vacuum and some dirt came up and ruined the whole tank.

So this is the redone version simple yet very natural with quite a few happy fish and snails. It's been up and running for half a year and no fish have been sick or have died in that time period. Some combomba found its way I to the sand and actually rooted itself!

This tank now only has black diamond sand a nice 100watt heater a reliable sponge filter that also aerates the water and a aqueon filter that helps the water flow.

I do plan on getting a few more plants and fish and actually I may get some crawfish.

Here's a new pic some stuff settled down a bit more
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388415396.637943.jpg

It looks good but I would probably skip the crawfish or stick with one of the dwarf types such as Cajun or Mexican dwarf crayfish and even then you snails will be in danger...but it definitely looks cool I had my six gallon fluval edge covered with java moss then I had to take out some of it so my betta could have some swimming room

Time to ask your parents what odd jobs they need done round the house (y) I would send you some of my Ludwigia, Cabomba and Pennywort trimmings and enough Java moss to infest your tank but we aren't on the same continent :nono: What plants do you have in transit at the moment?

Hehe :) I do have a lot of chores, we live on a small farm. I used to get some monthly allowance but I haven't been getting that. I don't have any plants for that tank yet because I need to buy some bulbs for a t5HO fixture but it's a weird length so I'm having trouble with that. I'll also rig up some DIY co2 and hopefully not have to do as many large water changes. I'll just get some fast growing stem plants and maybe some anubia to break it up a bit.

Does this count as untamed :eek:

XpzuVYn.jpg

Yeah, I started with 1 which came pretty close to dying and I almost threw it away. Now I have probably 60 of them crammed in my little 10g tank.
Impressive, co2? What could I do low tech to get mine going?

I added a diy pressurized co2 about a month ago and that seems to have made them grow faster. But the biggest upgrade I made for them was going dirted. I had flourite for a while which helped a lot but they never came close to the height that these have.

I added a diy pressurized co2 about a month ago and that seems to have made them grow faster. But the biggest upgrade I made for them was going dirted. I had flourite for a while which helped a lot but they never came close to the height that these have.
I will eventually set up co2, I just use root tabs and seachem comp for now. Anything else you'd recommend? I do have shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom