Upgrading my filtration! What about my old pads??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JadeHB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone!

So on YouTube I saw someone with my filter (Interpret Internal filter CF2) and they took out the filter pads it came with and added their own foam, bio media, carbon foam etc! I want to do this method which will save money in the long run rather than buying the replacement pads! But my question is, how do I introduce the new pimped filter without crashing my ecosystem? All the good bacteria will be in my old pads and bio media right? So taking it all out I’m worried will rock the boat and cause my cycle to crash! Any advice!

Thank you!

Well what filter(s) do you have? Are there fish in the tank? How long has the tank/filter been running? What media did you have and what are you putting in?

I have the Interpret internal hanging filter CF3 and it just comes with standard changeable cartridges. Yes 2 fish in got them Saturday just gone but the tank cycled for 8 weeks before hand so has been running that long!

Put in your new media and cut out the filter pad from the cartridge. Do not rinse it out. Jam it back into the filter and let it run for 3+ weeks. Hopefully your new media is foam or plastic pot scrubbers.

Put in your new media and cut out the filter pad from the cartridge. Do not rinse it out. Jam it back into the filter and let it run for 3+ weeks. Hopefully your new media is foam or plastic pot scrubbers.

This works.

I did this with my HOB filter and what I did was take one used cartridge (it is supposed to use 2) and put it in a solo cup with the Bioballs (new media) and soaked in tank water. Then put 2nd bag of new media in filter with other old cartridge. Ran filter and added fish immediately. Next day swapped out old cartridge in filter with the Bioballs that sat in the solar cup and bingo bango - cycled and ready. My readings never changed.
I used sponges and Bioballs and my water looks awesome!
#cartridgesareawaste

Thank you! Yes it just seems like a scam to make more money buying the expensive cartridges! I guess it’s just doing it but by bit to make sure I don’t remove all the bacteria!

Back
Top Bottom