Ziggs 5 Gallon Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
scaled.php

So I'm finally getting around to building up this tank. It was given to me by a friend, because she couldn't maintain it. I'm going to likely stock it with a Betta and -maybe- some Ghost Shrimp in the event the Betta doesn't eat them. I'm planning on going a slightly dirt planted/gravel and sand mixture. I plan to put Gravel in the rear areas of the tank with dirt underneath it, and put sand upfront. I have the PVC pipe piece as a home for the Betta, and i'm likely going to take some Java moss from my main tank and tie it around the pipe.

As for plants, I'm going to definitly put in some Anubias species, and a Java Fern/Moss. I'm wondering what other plants I could possibly put in, and Would like for any suggestions. The Lamp is a 40 Watt bulb, so theres plenty of lighting.

Water sprite is cool. And I love banana plants. It is going to be cool. I have a 5 gallon that I am trying to decide what to do with so maybe I will gather ideas :)

Ah, a Banana plant would work well. I've added the Dirt/Gravel at the back of the tank, and I'm putting the Sand up at the front. Sort of looks like a beach. I will be getting the plants on Friday when I visit a LFS Store. So far the ideas i have in mine are:Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, a Mariamo Ball, Banana Plant. I'm considering some Dwarf Hairgrass as well.

tank2b.jpg

Setup the tank yesterday, the Filter was seeded from my main tank so i stocked it Immediatly. The Bettas name is Sparky (Courtesy of my GF), and the LFS Store gave me some Feeder Ghost Shrimp for super cheap. My plants so far are Java moss, a Moss ball, Water Wisteria, some tall Italian Val, an Anubias Nana, Dwarf Hairgrass, Banana plant, some Moneywort stocks from my main tank, and some Anubias to soak up excess nutrients.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Ziggs180 said:
Setup the tank yesterday, the Filter was seeded from my main tank so i stocked it Immediatly. The Bettas name is Sparky (Courtesy of my GF), and the LFS Store gave me some Feeder Ghost Shrimp for super cheap. My plants so far are Java moss, a Moss ball, Water Wisteria, some tall Italian Val, an Anubias Nana, Dwarf Hairgrass, Banana plant, some Moneywort stocks from my main tank, and some Anubias to soak up excess nutrients.

So pretty! Do Betta's like little homes like that? If so I need to get something for mine. I really want to get some moss for my tanks too. You did a lovely job and Sparky is beautiful! (my daughter had a hamster named Sparky!)

Ziggs180 said:
Ah, a Banana plant would work well. I've added the Dirt/Gravel at the back of the tank, and I'm putting the Sand up at the front. Sort of looks like a beach. I will be getting the plants on Friday when I visit a LFS Store. So far the ideas i have in mine are:Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, a Mariamo Ball, Banana Plant. I'm considering some Dwarf Hairgrass as well.

When you say you put dirt in the back, what kind of dirt? I'm trying to figure out what to use as substrate for my tank. I have just gravel right now and I'm interested in knowing what else I can use.

in the rear, there is Miracle-Gro Organic Soil capped with Gravel. I'm trying out several substrates to see how it is. I have it in my main tank, and it provided a nice area for plant nourishment. Google ''Walstad Method''.

As for the little home, Sparky hasn't gone inside of it alot, but hes constantly picking at the moss on top.

Ziggs180 said:
in the rear, there is Miracle-Gro Organic Soil capped with Gravel. I'm trying out several substrates to see how it is. I have it in my main tank, and it provided a nice area for plant nourishment. Google ''Walstad Method''.

As for the little home, Sparky hasn't gone inside of it alot, but hes constantly picking at the moss on top.

I am going to definitely going to google that method! Thanks!

if he doenst like the pvc pipe you could put a small flower pot in the tank. i have some stacked in my cichlid tank and they love them.

I occasionally seem him swim through it, so he seems to be alright with it. He seems pretty happy, and from what it looks like, hes started building a bubble nest!

Back
Top Bottom