125g Tall Saltwater Journal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone i just wanted to show off a little of what I am putting together on a budget. So that others can see and give input on ways I can improve my tank.

Ok so I got the tank off Craigslist. It included the tank, stand, lighted canopy.

What got so far is:
- a protien skimmer rated for 300g
- rio 2500 return pump
- 2 1,300gph wave makers
- a DIY 20g long Sump build (no refugium) might add one later
- and I have live rock for the tank.

Here are some pictures of the tank. It is not set up yet just putting together the things I need piece by piece
Also I have a picture of my little holding tank that my fish are in while I set up this tank.

image-731856413.jpg

image-1933853591.jpg

image-2246979365.jpg

image-1723766017.jpg

Thanks guys! And I am thinking FOWLR but the lighting system I have looks to be pretty good so I might try a few mushroom coral and a zoa as a test. I woul like a reef but that won't be until down the road. ( will be using all reef safe fish tho... Just in case I do)

Reefs just have that wow factor but that's just what I think :) do you know exactly what light it is?

Ok so I got my 5g bucket of instant ocean salt mix off amazon for $38 (free shipping)

Also I picked up about 50lbs of rock to go along with the 20+\- lbs i have in my little 10g holding tank. You guys think that will be enough to do something interesting with? :)
Here are the pieces I got. My phone is there so u can get an idea of size.

image-2511628856.jpg

Ok so I got my 5g bucket of instant ocean salt mix off amazon for $38 (free shipping)

Also I picked up about 50lbs of rock to go along with the 20+\- lbs i have in my little 10g holding tank. You guys think that will be enough to do something interesting with? :)
Here are the pieces I got. My phone is there so u can get an idea of size.

I would personally go with some more live rock. IMO I would shoot for around at least 100-125 lbs. for one it will give you more variety in your rock scape and also obviously you'll then have more rock for corals to grow on. On top of this a lot of fish and inverts will like the added nooks and crannys. Fish can get very territorial and the added rock will help decrease the amount of aggression shown

I would personally go with some more live rock. IMO I would shoot for around at least 100-125 lbs. for one it will give you more variety in your rock scape and also obviously you'll then have more rock for corals to grow on. On top of this a lot of fish and inverts will like the added nooks and crannys. Fish can get very territorial and the added rock will help decrease the amount of aggression shown

Yea I will add more rock soon I hope. As I said before this is a build on a budget lol so I can only get a little at a time. I have 70lbs all together and I will be on the look out for maybe 30lbs more. I have an aquascape in mind already can't wait! Super excited about this! (My dream tank)

Haha I know what your saying with build on a budget. I'm a student at Ohio state and its taken me all year to get my 20L nano reef to look somewhat pleasing and filled out somewhat with corals lol and I still have so much more to go. Hopefully it speeds up though now that I got a job at the lfs there :). I can't wait until the day comes I can upgrade to a build like yours

Haha I know what your saying with build on a budget. I'm a student at Ohio state and its taken me all year to get my 20L nano reef to look somewhat pleasing and filled out somewhat with corals lol and I still have so much more to go. Hopefully it speeds up though now that I got a job at the lfs there :). I can't wait until the day comes I can upgrade to a build like yours

Yea I am working and going to school too. But I lucked out on this tank. Could not pass it up for the price!

Ok so I have done some math and research and I think I have come up with a list of the fish I want in the tank

Image shows them all except a pair of clowns, a bicolor Blennie, Niger trigger, and a clean-up crew
I think I will be adding 1-2 fish a month.

image-601197938.jpg

It looks like a nice list, although the niger trigger might be a bit aggressive for it's tank mates. They also don't go particularly well with a reef if you were still considering going down that path in the future.

It looks like a nice list, although the niger trigger might be a bit aggressive for it's tank mates. They also don't go particularly well with a reef if you were still considering going down that path in the future.

Yea I heard that a lot, but I have been doing a lot of research on forums and YouTube videos and asking the marine biologist at my LFS and they say that the Niger trigger may not be completely reef save but is the safest of the triggers. About the same as having a dwarf angels. So I am going to give it a shot. If he doesn't work ill take him back to the LFS :( but I hope he does! You have any thoughts on having more than one yellow tang? I wanted 2. That safe?

I wod drop the blue tang and powder blue. They need lots of swimming room. At least a tank that's about 6' in length. Odds are your powder blue will definately develop ich and be virtually impossible to cure without having it spread and kill the powder blue. And as for the Angels I would select only one. With all 3 they will all beat each other up until 2 quiver away and probably end up dying. Other than that And the caution with the niger it looks like youre gonna have a beautiful tank. In place of the tangs though maybe a couple purple tilefish? Very cool fish IMO.

I wod drop the blue tang and powder blue. They need lots of swimming room. At least a tank that's about 6' in length. Odds are your powder blue will definately develop ich and be virtually impossible to cure without having it spread and kill the powder blue. And as for the Angels I would select only one. With all 3 they will all beat each other up until 2 quiver away and probably end up dying. Other than that And the caution with the niger it looks like youre gonna have a beautiful tank. In place of the tangs though maybe a couple purple tilefish? Very cool fish IMO.

Ok thanks for the info. I will be dropping off the powder blue and the coral beauty. I can't get rid of the blue hippo (my girl friend is requiring that be in there lol) can I keep the flame and bicolor angels? Provided I have lots of hiding places? And I will look into the tilefish. Thanks again

Ok after about $25 and 4 or 5 trips to the hardware store... I have finally finished dry fitting my plumb for my DIY sump.

1" drain on the left with ball valve. And split drain into the sump.
3/4" return with tubing from return pump(to combat noise), to a ball valve, the a check valve before heading up into the tank.

And like I said. It's only dry fitted not glued yet. My uncle used to be a plumber and he is coming by to double check my work before I glue it all up

image-3196507909.jpg

image-721474106.jpg

Ok thanks for the info. I will be dropping off the powder blue and hippo tangs and the coral beauty. can I keep the flame and bicolor angels? Provided I have lots of hiding places? And I will look into the tilefish. Thanks again

I will see what else I can work with

Back
Top Bottom