20g First Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimmer910

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_2576.jpg

Here is the start of my first saltwater tank. Here's what I have in the tank so far:
-Clownfish(2)
-Striped Damsel (1)
-Turbo Snails (2)
-Peppermint Shrimp (1)

So far everyone is getting along with no problems. I think I'm going to put one more piece of live rock in the tank. Also have a different light that I need to build a hanger for so I can put it over the tank. Still need to get a powerhead, which will be getting soon. I plan on putting some corals in the tank when I have all that installed.

I am open to any suggestions! I will be updating my progress as time goes.

do you have a test kit ? that will tell you if you cycled or not . if you don't I suggest you get 1 , you shouldn't have stock with no circulation as stagnant water don't get oxygenated
and ammonia will build up faster

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately the powerhead won't be in until Tuesday. I have test strips and also a test kit that does the basics. Not quiet sure if those test if it's been cycled?

since your power heads are not there yet keep up on water changes this will help oxygenate the water . you need to test to see if there's any trace of ammonia or nitrite not nitrate if you do your tank is not cycled ,

both of these are not good for your fish . I would also suggest a bit more live rock your fish especially for the damsels and clowns they need there hiding spots it will also offer more surface area to hold bb if you plan on any more stock .

Just tested my water for everything and looks like they came out:
pH=8
Ammonia= 0ppm
Nitrite=0ppm
Nitrate= 10ppm (around there)

I do weekly water changes, about 25%. I also clean it due to diatoms that have grown but the growth has slowed down. This weekend I plan on getting more live rock.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 242
Update:

This weekend I got a new light and more live rock. Today I got my powerhead. Everything is in the tank. I can't wait to put corals in the tank, but I'm going to hold off on that for now.

My clownfish seem to be doing well and getting along. There is a dominant one and the other is submissive (does the vibration). During the day they swim around and meet up now and again. During the night they are always swimming next to each other.

My peppermint shrimp has already related that the food comes from my hand during feeding time and every time I stick my hand in to clean it or something it goes right to and on my hand. I find it kind of funny but can be a hassle when I'm trying to do something haha.

Attachments

• IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 235
Thanks for the tip! Just as my clownfish were having fun. They would either swim into the current or go behind the powerhead then go in front of it zooming from one side of the tank to the other haha. Very entertaining to watch.

Still working out placement of equipment. I want to put a glass top on so evaporation doesn't get on the lights. So working on getting the cords and everything to the back. I also don't want the powerhead pushing water too fast in front of the filter that no debris go up it.

Update:

So it's been awhile since I posted. Couple of things have changed but nothing major. I added 2 corals. 1 of them is zoas and the other is green star polyp. Both are doing well.

IMG_2614.jpg
IMG_2616.jpg
IMG_2618.jpg

The only problem I have with the tank right now is the green hair algae on the middle rock. I got it sort of under control with the turbo snails and red legged hermits but they suddenly decided to stop eating it. The other problem is a bunch of brown (some areas are hair like) spots all around the tank. Any suggestions on getting rid of these things?

Brown algae is a pain. I'm dealing with it right now. If your using tap water like I was, there's your problem. Anyways looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How is the tank doing now? Can u send an update I would love to see how it turned out

How is the tank doing now? Can u send an update I would love to see how it turned out

Hey thanks for asking about it! Tank is doing great! Unfortunately right now I haven't added anything else. I plan on getting a pistol shrimp and Goby hopefully next week. Still figuring out what corals to get that aren't super expensive. I think the prices at my LFS are outrageous.

welcome to the salt water world the trick is buy online always get better deals
give me a little while than check your in box .

Last edited:
See I live in Las Vegas so one weekend I took a trip to LA and bought corals and drove back home for my 150 gal

IMG_2648.jpg

So I just picked up this pink dwarf feather duster at my LFS. Little did I know my peppermint shrimp would attack it and try to eat it. I moved it to where my shrimp doesn't good much for now. Any suggestions on what to do?

I'd be more inclined to believe the peppermint wanted to clean off what was coming in on the worm.
Is the tube hard? Looks more like a coco worm than a feather duster.

That's what I thought at first but the shrimp would grab a piece and yank hard back tearing off a piece of the feather.

Most of the tube is soft and a little bit harder towards the opening

Back
Top Bottom