29 gallon biocube reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbwardlow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is our first reef tank my kids and i set this tank up five weeks ago. Our clean up crew is an assortment of different types of snails and hermit crabs. We also have two emerald green and two porcelain crabs. We also purchased what was supposed to be peppermint and snapping shrimp from. Live aquaria but none of them looked any thing like what they were supposed to. The four peppermints looked like feeder shrimps and the two snapping were a transparent sand color. Since introducing them a week ago we have not seen any of them. Our fish are a black percula and and orange percula. We also have a fire fish. The first fish we got was a yellow tail damsel that we used to cycle the tank. We call him Richard because he is such a dick to all the other fish but he seems to be calming down now. We also have a pincushion sea urchin. Our corals are some muchrooms, candy cane, and three other frags not sure what they are called. We also have a lone featherduster that hitchhiked in on some live rock. Only two more fish will be added later in the future a Tanaka wrasse and some sort of bleeny or goby not sure yet on what type but he will need to have a lot of character. If i cant figure out how to attach the pics my avatar is our tank. thanks for viewing any comments will be appreciated.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120616_093330.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120616_093330.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 103
  • ForumRunner_20120616_093348.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120616_093348.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20120616_093407.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120616_093407.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 94
Nice tank! The yellow tailed damsel are aggressive fish. I had one and re homed it. A goby would be easier to keep only because I'm on my 4th scooter blenny since they all die from starvation. They eat live food and need to be in a well established tank. I've learned the hard way so I'm just passing that little bit info along. Maybe save yourself the headache. I have a yellow faced jawfish bis awesome! And a orange spotted goby both are amazing to watch. They peak there heads out and watch you! So cool.

Good luck!

Thats the type of character that i am looking for. Someone that hangs out hidden on or under a rock that comes out when a piece of food drifts by. My cousin had one not sure which type nut it would hangout upside down on his rock work.

jbwardlow said:
Thats the type of character that i am looking for. Someone that hangs out hidden on or under a rock that comes out when a piece of food drifts by. My cousin had one not sure which type nut it would hangout upside down on his rock work.

Well I just got a yellow face jawfish and he's awesome!! I have a video. Check it out. Then I have my orange spotted goby

image-1014599719.jpg

I watched it he is quite the character. I am going to wait at least a month before i add any new fish. My tank is still young and i want it to adjust to the two clowns that i added a week ago. If anything new goes in the next month it will be some copepods or some type of shrimps to help establish a solid ecosystem.

jbwardlow said:
I watched it he is quite the character. I am going to wait at least a month before i add any new fish. My tank is still young and i want it to adjust to the two clowns that i added a week ago. If anything new goes in the next month it will be some copepods or some type of shrimps to help establish a solid ecosystem.

Sounds like a plan! Good luck :)

Thanks i will post the progress hopefully we will get it running to where it is maintains it's self with minimal action from us. Saw pics of ur tank it really pops alot of life in there. How much maintenance a week are you putting in to it? I like it alot u should be proud of it. That is quite an accomplishment in such a small tank.

jbwardlow said:
Thanks i will post the progress hopefully we will get it running to where it is maintains it's self with minimal action from us. Saw pics of ur tank it really pops alot of life in there. How much maintenance a week are you putting in to it? I like it alot u should be proud of it. That is quite an accomplishment in such a small tank.

Well thank you for the kind words! :)

Honestly I just do a 5 gallon weekly water change and replace my filter floss 2x's a week(takes 1 minute)

And test! I test my water once a week and that's it! I feed every other day frozen food or reef nutrition food. I try and give a variety and add Selcon and sometime Kent's garlic extreme on occasion. I feed phyto for my clam and corals etc.. I add copepods by the 1,000's sometimes and feed trigger pods also.

That's it. But to maintain it weekly? Takes probably 20 minutes. I just clean around the outside, clean the inside glass and use a turkey baster to blow debris off the rocks and to blast the back chambers and stir everything up to keep it clean and smooth running.

One other thing every couple of months I take the pump out and clean it with vinegar and water solution and that's it!!

Thanks again!! :)

A fun fish I have is a tail spot blenny! He'll rest on coral or find holes to hide in! Mine's name is bull as he has 2 little antennae or ?? on his forehead area! He'll eat anything, algae, shrimp & pellets! But he's a cute little guy that is enjoyable to watch as he perches here & there or hides out in an empty barnacle piece I have in there as decor really but he sleeps in there too I think!!

Back
Top Bottom