300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 40 pounds of tabling purple acropora. I've never seen a bigger aquarium colony of this staghorn coral. Took about 6 years to grow from a 1/2" frag.IMG_5543.jpg

This could quite possibly be the first camera to watch your fish and catch you walking around your house in your underwear at the same time. Lol. Would it be able to take still shots as well as live feed?

Thanks Andy...what gives, you seem to always have a tank going?
My connections for marines are over 175 miles away and there are no good marine stores less than a 2 hour drive from me. If something happened and I needed an emergency item, I'd be screwed. :( So for now, I'll have to stick with my 80 tanks of freshwater fish. ;) :D

Lovely tank, bet its hard work so I must congratulate you on having a stunning sw aquarium!
This is a super noob sw question :)
I am confident that corals grow slow right? or are there some that grow fast? You said for example it took you six years to grow that huge purple colony (ik im awful) from 1/2" of frag.
K I confused myself :p guess my question is: How long does it take the average coral, to get "big" In size. Big being half the size it gets maximum. if there is such.

300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

Lovely tank, bet its hard work so I must congratulate you on having a stunning sw aquarium!
This is a super noob sw question :)
I am confident that corals grow slow right? or are there some that grow fast? You said for example it took you six years to grow that huge purple colony (ik im awful) from 1/2" of frag.
K I confused myself :p guess my question is: How long does it take the average coral, to get "big" In size. Big being half the size it gets maximum. if there is such.

Thank you for your compliment. We have been managing this reef for over 25 years now.

For many coral colonies, even hard ones, the limiting factor for maximum size is the area that is lit well enough and has current sufficient for growth. In other words, big.

Coral colonies grow exponentially. By that I mean that it takes forever for 4 polyps to turn into a hundred, but then about the same time to then turn into 1000, and so on. The bigger they are the faster they grow. Think if it like a tree. You can prune it to shape it, but the tree will still keep getting bigger until genetics and/or environment slow it down.

Some coral polyps propagate faster than others. Soft corals can grow like weeds. LPS takes longer but can get very large some of them. The slower corals are those that lay out even more hard calcium skeleton like SPS corals. The trick to these large SPS colonies, after lighting and water flow, is keeping up with their alk/cal/mg needs.

Last edited:
definitely makes sense. I can totally understand that, kind of like the example of money that is commonly tossed around.
Make a dollar one week every day.
Then make that x2
Ok maybe that's confusing nvm lol

Back
Top Bottom