300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lifegard fluidized bed filter ($65) being used on my frag tank with Purigen. A little fiddlie but it does work well.

Attachments

• image-1257298510.jpg
    image-1257298510.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,000
  • image-2046697247.jpg
    image-2046697247.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,110
Yes, it's a separate 65 gallons. Theres also a 35 gallon soft coral tank. I wrote a thread about it. It has a moving led system. Grows SPS great.

Last edited:
My excuse to build the frag system was to sell frags, which I have done some. But what I think I am actually doing is trying to grow out frags into big colonies. Those colonies I will eventually sell for those with $$ and are too impatient to wait 3 years for that 6" purple acro.

Not a good shot, but I thought this goby was cool in his home acro.

Attachments

• image-3979475203.jpg
    image-3979475203.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • image-4121579741.jpg
    image-4121579741.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,034
Very nice setup Greg! Truly something for us all to be envious of, well done! One of my favorite spots in your tank is that sea of red mushrooms you have!

5% water changes bi-monthly? Sounds almost like it would be a waste of time. What made you arrive at that amount?

Two things. Laziness and the price of salt. Actually, I have done this for years. I test for the major organics and as long as they are low or undetectable and I have good polyp extension and growth why water change in massive amounts? The test kits and most sensitive corals tell me when something needs changing. It comes to 80 gallons out of 500 every month.

Two things. Laziness and the price of salt. Actually, I have done this for years. I test for the major organics and as long as they are low or undetectable and I have good polyp extension and growth why water change in massive amounts? The test kits and most sensitive corals tell me when something needs changing. It comes to 80 gallons out of 500 every month.
I'm not saying you should do more. I'm saying if you are only doing that much, and things are doing very well, why do the 80 gallons at all?

Something you said once is a good answer. Who knows what necessary elements i don't test for are not being replenished? Or which ones are getting too concentrated. If you don't test you don't know. This seems like a happy medium.

Hand fed and even petted my blue jaw triggerfish. It's been a month now and he has settled in. No damage to anything yet. He seems a model citizen and a blast to watch. He needs room as he is a fast swimmer and either rapidly on the move or lurking in his cave.

Hand fed and even petted my blue jaw triggerfish. It's been a month now and he has settled in. No damage to anything yet. He seems a model citizen and a blast to watch. He needs room as he is a fast swimmer and either rapidly on the move or lurking in his cave.

Cool...nice to hear.. My trigger fish is much the same except for the part about being a model citizen :-/)

I'm watching him race back and forth right now. He's very fast. At over 4" long already and I wish I had an even bigger tank for him. He likes to hang out in front of my Magnum fans and swims against them. I hope he stays cool, but he eats as much as half the other fish combined.

I'm watching him race back and forth right now. He's very fast. At over 4" long already and I wish I had an even bigger tank for him. He likes to hang out in front of my Magnum fans and swims against them. I hope he stays cool, but he eats as much as half the other fish combined.
As mine eats he's making room at the same time from the other end if you get the picture,.. Kind of funny but disgusting too...it never fails !!! All in all they're a great addition to your undersea world.

Back
Top Bottom