Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #1001
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Ordered some frags today, asked they not be shipped until encrusting.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395181489.358523.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  108.3 KB
Electric Green Acro

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395181511.453965.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  105.3 KB
Green Monti Cap (old one didn't make it, this is a replacement)

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395181566.006604.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  105.8 KB
Oxide Zoas

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395181588.050990.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  94.9 KB
Oculus Violet Crumble

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395181619.305961.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  92.4 KB
Rainbow Pectinia

Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #1002
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395181690.503673.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  94.2 KB
Orange Montipora Digitata

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395181723.573982.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  75.8 KB
Blue Cali Tortuosa

Will post frag pictures soon.

I am going to build some intermixed coral heads, staying within species guidelines. For example I will add the orange Digitata right next to the green one I have already established and let them intermingle as they grow. I am mixing the electric green acro with a violet tipped acro I already have. I want to grow out coral heads with mixed coloration.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #1003
Aquarium Advice Addict

How's that corals doing that started to die off a bit after adding the phosgaurd?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #1004
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A blue tort? A must have!
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #1005
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Nice. I hate that I lost that pectinia. In a few months I'll try another.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #1006
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
This is the super male. It's hard to see but he's wrapped in his cocoon. My guess is he was 4' long. This was shot with a wide angle as there was little room in his cave. I was very glad he didn't wake up.
Went fishing last weekend in the keys and getting bait with my sabiki I caught 4 parrot fish an one hrs time frame. Wish I would have taken pics but not something we do when its not what we are after Anyways, nne I did see was crazy the color this parrot fish had. Never seen anything like it before. Close by one of our state park, Bill Baggs, you see them in groups on the sea wall thats filled with rocks chumping on the rocks.

Looking good on your frag orders
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #1007
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb View Post
How's that corals doing that started to die off a bit after adding the phosgaurd?

They are healing up slowly. So far so good.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #1008
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
A blue tort? A must have!

I am selecting most of the corals based on varieties I have already had success with. I'm selecting for color and varieties that can co-mingle with colonies I already have established. I'm doing the same with Euphilia.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #1009
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Nice. I hate that I lost that pectinia. In a few months I'll try another.

That's the one on the list I haven't had any experience with. Getting cocky because my GARF purple bonsai took off growing and I had previously never had any luck with bonsais. So I will probably crater with the Pectinia. Any warnings?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #1010
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
Went fishing last weekend in the keys and getting bait with my sabiki I caught 4 parrot fish an one hrs time frame. Wish I would have taken pics but not something we do when its not what we are after Anyways, nne I did see was crazy the color this parrot fish had. Never seen anything like it before. Close by one of our state park, Bill Baggs, you see them in groups on the sea wall thats filled with rocks chumping on the rocks.

Looking good on your frag orders

They do come in spectacular colors don't they? But the littlest one would require a very large aquarium, with sacrificial rocks for them to gnaw.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #1011
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
They do come in spectacular colors don't they? .

Indeed they do! The one I caught was a blue parrot fish but the hue of blue was like it was glowing was unreal. The small wrasses i catch & their colors are great as well.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #1012
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Bored musings;

My verdict is in; phosguard vs BRS GFO. The reactor Carey suggested works better than anyone I have ever had, but had to put a 1800 liter per hour pump on it to get the Phosguard to tumble. Reactor is rated to 2000 liters per hour. GFO tumbled much easier, at first.

2 weeks with GFO;
500ml of GFO added to reactor. 500 gallon system.
NO measurable P4 reduction, actually went up a bit. ???
Alkalinity crashed damaging a few corals, my bad, but you need to watch out for this.
Within the first week the GFO was gelling and it took the full output of the pump to keep it tumbling.

And lastly, this is messy stuff. Even the larger grained variety.

Something didn't seem right because I had heard so much good about GFO. This mirrored my last tests of it two years ago.

Then I bought a liter of phosguard on Amazon and it was a bit more pricey than the GFO, but not enough to let that be the determining factor. 500ml added to the reactor for 500 gallons of treatment.

The Phosguard tumbles nicely and the coating on it protects it from grinding itself up, so you can really tumble it.

It also changes color dramatically when exhausted, a real plus over guessing GFO condition.

P4 went from 0.40ppm after the GFO (way too high for my SPS, target is 0.05ppm via Hanna), to 0.25ppm in 24 hours. This is 0.15ppm per 24 hours. 500 gallons of water. That's pretty impressive to me. I am slowing it down some as I don't want to shock the corals.

No alkalinity hit. Remained stable. Corals all stable.

With those things added up the decision was easy for me. These are just my observations so don't bust my chops about GFO, I know it works, it just didn't satisfy my needs.

Topic #2

Loss of the last LFS in my town. This is a sad thing because I like to go in there and talk fish and corals. The only positive thing, and I am grasping at finding anything, is that it brings an end to "spur of the moment" fish purchases. Takes a bit more to order the fish on line and maybe because it isn't swimming there right in front of you, taunting you, it would be easier to make an informed decision about buying the fish.

But the downside of that is I have gotten "spur of the moment" fish I probably wouldn't have bought on line and had a great experience with them.

Topic #3

Dwarf angels, I have 3 in the reef. A 12 year old Coral Beauty, a 5 year old Blue Line Black Tail and a 9 year old Flame Angel. The Flame has gone missing and I fear the worst. The other two angels were never kind to him over the years and I guess one night they had it out with him. I knew 3 of them in a 300 gallon still risked aggression and it did work out for many years, but it caught up with me. It shows the importance of stocking correctly. It really bugs me when I see on TV or hear at the ex-fish store , people selecting fish by color and shape. These aren't flower decorations, it's animals that don't get along in certain cases and mixes. Kind of like mixing lions with sheep, even if the lion is lazy and fat, the sheep will die of stress and maybe one night the lazy lion has a bit of energy and makes the nightmare for the sheep come true.

I do, however choose my coral by color and shape. I am aware of what mixes with what, but I guess I am decorating with coral. My bad.

So the reef will carry on with just two dwarf angels.

Last topic;

Mixing vinegar into the kalkwasser reactor.

This is an interesting test. The idea is that the acetate in vinegar is a better, but less concentrated form of carbon that doesn't grow Cyanobacteria. That's the problem I had with bio beads. But mixing it into the kalkwasser reactor to be dosed provides a couple of interesting benefits. It lets there be more available calcium in the limewater. And it counters the ph a bit as vinegar is a acid and limewater is very alkaline. Will report what happens. I am using very little vinegar at first.

Whew, that was a long post, sorry.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #1013
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Good discussion on LEDs.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/led-...ight-vhos.html
Old 03-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #1014
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are some misconceptions. Like the corals needing red for photosynthesis. I don't use any red, and my sps is colorful and growing very nicely. Just as colorful as anyone elses tank IMO.
Also, the PAR req's are a little off. You and I both know PAR isn't an accurate measurement of what corals need when speaking in terms of LED. Since no one we know has access to a device for measuring PUR, we have to "wing it". I posted to the thread...Let's see how many haters attack me
Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #1015
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There is a study that shows significant amounts of red light can be harmful to hard corals. But that's a bit different than using a few red LEDs to warm up the fixtures light. I'll have to look it up. In most points it does reinforce things we already knew, such as the target frequency for growth is in the blues. Since PUR is organism specific, it is a measurement that has little meaning in a mixed reef anyway. I see PAR as a average that is useful when comparing one light to another.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #1016
Aquarium Advice Addict

But Par from say, a halide fixture is not the same as an LED fixture. This is why I'm thinking the meter can't see it correctly, or it penetrates better, or something.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #1017
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You have to start somewhere. PAR is still closer to the target than lumens is.

The difference is a MH fixture puts out all the visible frequencies of light (and invisible, such as infra red). LEDs put out specific frequencies, with some omissions in the spectrum.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #1018
Aquarium Advice Addict

But it's the seemingly lower PAR LED that burns the coral, not the halide.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #1019
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes, that's because these meters don't measure specific frequencies very well. The metal halide might show 400 PAR, but that's over a broad range of frequencies, some ignored by the corals, where.a LED can be blasting at 450nm and not much else and the meter still sees 400 PAR. But in this case the PUR of the LED is much higher than the MH. The eye also perceives the broader range of frequencies as brighter, so as you bring the perceived brightness up to where your T5 or MH was at, is too much PUR for the corals when using LED.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #1020
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Wow...in 48 hours this new reactor and phosguard pulled my phosphate levels to 0.00ppm as per Hanna. Putting it on a timer and running it only 50% of the time because I don't want to totally strip the water. 0.40ppm to 0.00ppm in just over 48 hours.

Tags
300 gallon, corner, reef, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com