300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also has me thinking about it as my pod population plummeted after moving everything from my 65 over to the 150, I know the population will come back in time but I can see how it is effecting my fish, apparently the pods were a larger part of their diet than I thought

It funny because I knew this when I was spawning angelfish and discus. Live black worms did the trick. Never used the white worms, but I'll bet any wild mandarin would eat them. Much more protein than brine shrimp or maybe even pods. I mean look at how fat his mandarins are. And he kept a Moorish Idol for a decade in a 100 gallon. Seems this diet has some real merits.

Last edited:
Wow what a rough life you live. I gotta get me a recliner. Great tank.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I support first responders, so no, my life isn't that easy. That's why having a fish tank is vital, I need something to help calm me down.

This is crazy. About two years ago I lost sight of a coral banded shrimp the size of my hand. He had been in the tank several years so I thought (emphasis on thought) the shrimp was a goner. But tonight, while gazing at the tank to try to get over a perfectly rotten day, I suddenly saw a pair of familiar feelers coming from behind a big rock, as I got closer he receded but it has to be that long lost shrimp. The way I originally stacked all the Fuji live rock left a large area behind the reef. I did that intentionally to give a safe place for reclusive critters. It's kept relatively clean because I have several return jets back there. But it just shows there a whole hidden world back there.

Haha nice! U should get one of those tiny cameras thats connected to some flexible wire and see whats goin on back there. Kinda like the ones you see on movies where they drill a hole into something and they insert their little cameras too see inside. Haha!

Thats awesome, i lost a pepermint shrimp for 4 months once then saw him one day, but 2 years is a long time lol.

I think i read that wrong lol, you didnt say you hadnt seen him for 2 years, not sure where i got that from lol.

New frags coming this week. The ones I posted. He said the cuttings were incrusting, so time to ship. Only one that isn't is the rainbow Pectinia. He said he's sending a big one of those. Doug, you said you had one that didn't make it. Any suggestions?

Building a new frag rack, headed to buy egg crate and zip ties.

As I push P4 down to the little numbers, 0.05ppm, i am seeing a direct effect on the reef. The anthillia that was trying to take over, is now dying back while the hard corals are prospering. The bubble algae in the soft coral tank is all dying back. It is obvious to me that corals like Xenia and waving hand are dependent on nutrients in the water as well as lighting. The mushrooms aren't happy either, they obviously like higher nutrient water. Not all my soft corals are reacting this way, just this type. My clowns aren't happy about the receding waving hand as that's what they host. The last of the Cyano from the bio bead debacle is about gone. But I needed more room in the main reef for all the gorgeous hard coral I have grown in the frag tanks. Remodeling is in my future.

Back
Top Bottom