300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It isn't something that I don't think I would attempt...but if this is something you think can be managed then go for it. You know this fish better than I ever will.

I'm watching him closely. Had him almost 8 months now. Frankly, my tank is getting overgrown and missing a few soft coral polyps wouldn't hurt. But so far he prefers fish food.

Still have a few stubborn patches of tough red Cyanobacteria in a few spots of the 300. Reduced carbon by stopping the beads has helped. But I think I am going to do a three day light off to skim and filter the stuff out. Do you think I need to drape the tank or just kill the main lights? This is also probably a result of feeding daily. Food gets caught in the rocks and I have no invertebrates. Going to also siphon trouble areas, although this stuff doesn't come off easily. Water changes after the stuff has let go.

Still have a few stubborn patches of tough red Cyanobacteria in a few spots of the 300. Reduced carbon by stopping the beads has helped. But I think I am going to do a three day light off to skim and filter the stuff out. Do you think I need to drape the tank or just kill the main lights? This is also probably a result of feeding daily. Food gets caught in the rocks and I have no invertebrates. Going to also siphon trouble areas, although this stuff doesn't come off easily. Water changes after the stuff has let go.

Drape, not drain... LOL

Battling some cyano myself. I m not sure but covering the tank into complete darkness I've read does help. I'm just doing the manual removal and then filtering for now. If it gets too much more grasp on the tank I may regretfully chemi clean lol. I too am a daily feeder.

I feed twice a week and I have it in my tank, if it makes you feel any better. Just in the one corner. Pretty much feeds off of the remains of what comes from my distilled water since my RO/DI is down. Only thing I can think of.

Battling some cyano myself. I m not sure but covering the tank into complete darkness I've read does help. I'm just doing the manual removal and then filtering for now. If it gets too much more grasp on the tank I may regretfully chemi clean lol. I too am a daily feeder.

You think I need a total blackout or just cut the main LEDs? I'm not adding any antibiotics.

I bet you can just do the DT lights. I have read of people draping & blacking out the tank for stubborn algea and dinoflagellates.

Get a few cyanobacteria eating Mollies.... :D I think it it's pretty neat how they eat cyano. like I do a nice rare steak

Even if they did...you'd have to have mollies in your tank. I dont know which would be worse, seeing them, buying ones already turned to the salty side, or spending time converting them to such.

Astrea snails ate it mine area doing an awesome job they also control hair algae as well just all round awesome snails

I stopped by my lfs on thurs and they were converting some to salt water. The owner said I could take on home when fully converted.(at 1.020 on thurs) he then said I could return it when the cyano is gone.

But that is just isn't a solution to cyano. It is a nutrient issue in the water. Adding additional livestock to a system, aka something else to poop in the water, doesn't actually solve it...just make it ok to look at until it shows back up again.

Back
Top Bottom