35gal reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kwandrsn said:
I can't believe the Duncan ate him. soon he'll be standing over you saying feed me Seymour

Hilarious!!

Oh yeah, duncans can eat like few others can. My brother had one actually eat a live hermit. He saw the legs sticking out and found the shell right beside it. Only happened once but...

Hilarious!!

Oh yeah, duncans can eat like few others can. My brother had one actually eat a live hermit. He saw the legs sticking out and found the shell right beside it. Only happened once but...

I couldn't believe my eyes. My hermits love to climb all over my other corals. They leave the Duncans alone.

apet66 said:
I couldn't believe my eyes. My hermits love to climb all over my other corals. They leave the Duncans alone.

Dude, I know just what you mean!

Do you ever feed coral foods? Duncans swell up like crazy! They're like the pit bulls of LPSs. :eek: Easily one of the coolest corals around.

Dude, I know just what you mean!

Do you ever feed coral foods? Duncans swell up like crazy! They're like the pit bulls of LPSs. :eek: Easily one of the coolest corals around.

Yeah, when I feed the frozen mysis and brine shrimp my Duncan helps himself. Lol.
I bought it about 3 months ago with 3 heads. It now has 7.
It's a very cool coral.

I noticed today my leather coral looks like it is wet or covered in slime. Not sure if one of the astria snails didn't climb all over it and left it slimed. It's polyps are all retracted.
Also my Dendrophyllia hasn't opened to my knowledge in the week I've had it. It's turning white on the edges of the frag. Too much light? It's in the bottom and not sure where I could move it to give it shade. 8hrs white light, 10hrs blue. 2 bulb t5 HO fixture. All the other corals are doing fine. Could I cut the white lights back or just run actinic for a few days to help the Dendrophyllia?

I hope the leather is wet... Joking. I read they can look like that before they shed but you know more about coral than me :)

Yeah the leather shed, all its polyps are extended today. Lol yeah being submerged in water has a tendency to make things wet. Lol.

I bet if you look behind you its still there :) I've been working hard too lol. I'm not gonna know how to act when I go back to work lol I've been laid off and on unemployment for a year now

You definitely don't have nearly to much light. I used to run 2 VHOs and a 150w metal halide on my 30 long. You're light is fine. Have you checked your salt level? If you don't have a refractometer maybe you can get a shop to double check it for you. It's probably fine but worth looking into next time you go to a LFS.

Sorry if I'm late responding. Saltwater truly is different from freshwater when it comes to mechanical pads. I always rinse my freshwater pads in tank water to preserve the bacteria. It's a hard and fast rule worth living by. But, the opposite is true for saltwater tanks. It's far better to rinse pads in your saltwater tank with tap water to purposely kill off the bacteria.

In saltwater reef tanks you want the live rock and sand to be your sole biological filtration source. The pads will only be able to convert ammonia into nitrate as it's end product which can elevate nitrate levels in most tanks. Rinsing off the pads in tap water allows the rock and sand to more thoroughly break down the ammonia and nitrate, which will keep nitrate levels lower.

The rules for each type of tank really are different. For instance, I also add powdered phosphate and nitrate to my planted tanks, but use phosphate removers and keep nitrates at zero in reefs. Many techniques don't carry over from fresh to salt. The list is actually pretty long.

Rowaphos is a great product and Purigen doesn't really replace it. Purigen replaces carbon and does a far better job. You can easily regenerate it. My first couple of bags lasted around 8 years on two different reefs. You have to make sure to either get the 100ml that comes in a sealed bag ready for use or get the larger jar along with The Bag if you need more. The beads are super small and just fall out of nearly any other media bag. Regeneration is easy. Soak it for a day in 1/2 plain bleach and water, rinse it out then soak it overnight in RO water and a Prime. I've done it countless times and it was perfect every time. I've had a lot of tanks and never ran one without it. You don't have the risk of phosphate or copper leaching out that carbon sometimes can and it works better anyway. It's also cheaper to use with regeneration. Hope this made sense. lol

I didnt know that about rinsing the filter pads in tap water.

To the OP- your tank is beautiful! You have so many different colors in there. It's very eye catching. :)

You definitely don't have nearly to much light. I used to run 2 VHOs and a 150w metal halide on my 30 long. You're light is fine. Have you checked your salt level? If you don't have a refractometer maybe you can get a shop to double check it for you. It's probably fine but worth looking into next time you go to a LFS.

Yeah the lfs checked it 2 days ago, 1.025.

To the OP- your tank is beautiful! You have so many different colors in there. It's very eye catching. :)

Thank you very much!!! It's my little slice of heaven!

I noticed today my leather coral looks like it is wet or covered in slime. Not sure if one of the astria snails didn't climb all over it and left it slimed. It's polyps are all retracted.
Also my Dendrophyllia hasn't opened to my knowledge in the week I've had it. It's turning white on the edges of the frag. Too much light? It's in the bottom and not sure where I could move it to give it shade. 8hrs white light, 10hrs blue. 2 bulb t5 HO fixture. All the other corals are doing fine. Could I cut the white lights back or just run actinic for a few days to help the Dendrophyllia?

I hope it gets better for you. But aren't dendrophyllia non photosynthetic?

Be careful though my tank got cloudy after I done it. I should have went about it a little different . I rinsed all 4 filters under the tap and then put them back. I should have used distilled afterwards before putting them back in

Back
Top Bottom