35gal reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Duncan officially is starting It's 12th head. Not bad for 5 months. Started with 3.

Picked up a 6 bulb t5 Ho fixture last night and a nice piece of war coral, 4 polyp bam bam zoah my first piece of sps, a green branching digitalis and a new piece of base rock.
The fixture is definitely too heavy to mount on top of the tank,
(about 25 lbs.) so I'll need to build a stand for it that I can somehow adjust the height on. Also I'll be switching out some of the bulbs. This puts my watts at 234. So my watts per gallon is at just over 6.6, I don't want to cook my corals so how many hrs/day should I start running them?

Also captured this flat worm last night.

ForumRunner_20130331_060216.jpg

I run mine just shy of 12 hours i run 4 actinic and 2 10k the actinics are on 12 hrs, and the daylights are 6. What kind of fixture did u get? Itll be relatively easy to hang it, just take it apart and drill some holes in the top

It's a CoralView 6 bulb. It has 3 threaded holes on top for each side. I don't want to add the extra 18lbs to my tank stand so I'm headed to Loews with my measurements for some pvc. Going to do a floor stand.
My main concern is going from a 2 bulb t5 Ho to a 6 bulb t5 Ho. I'll have triple the watts and don't want to cook the coral.

Your corals should be fine, i keep most of my lps and softies near the sandbed in my 39 gallon and my nem is anchored to a rock near the sandbed, the only higher light corals i have are my acro and gonoporia watch out for algae issues though alot of light for the smallest stray peice of hair algae will grow a bush in no time

No problem! Im just bummed about how long its taking to fill up my 75 gallon with ro di right now, ive been running for about 5 hours and have about 15 gallons in right now plus i need to make up water to do a water change on my 39 as well :( my 6 bulbs fixture weighs 11 lbs

That's going to take the better part of a day to fill at that rate. Sorry, but it will be awesome when your done!
I must have an older light because this thing is sturdy!!! If it crashes down, the 2 floors below me in this apartment building will be soaked!

Oh man! How much did u pay for it if you dont mind me askjng? Also what kind of bulbs do you have? I got mine on ebay for 200 all on a built in timer and 10 moonlight leds shipped as well.

I love your tank by the way!! Went through some pics and wow! U have some nice rock!! I love your gobie as well. I have to build a canopy for my tank in order to add more fixtures im gonna do a diy canopy with all my fixtures built in.

Oh man! How much did u pay for it if you dont mind me askjng? Also what kind of bulbs do you have? I got mine on ebay for 200 all on a built in timer and 10 moonlight leds shipped as well.

Not 100% sure on each bulb but I have 2 Giesemann bulbs 1-22,000k actinic and 1-15,000k white, I'll be putting in it in place of 1-10,000k and one 6,500k bulb. I paid $150.00 with no timer or stand. It has 7-1 watt blue led moonlights that are dimmable. 4 separate cords and switches.

I love your tank by the way!! Went through some pics and wow! U have some nice rock!! I love your gobie as well. I have to build a canopy for my tank in order to add more fixtures im gonna do a diy canopy with all my fixtures built in.

Thanks!!! Yeah a canopy will look great over that 75gal.

Thanks! And that sounds like a nice light. Heavy duty thats for sure, are there fans built in? I just put my heater in and turned it on to bring my water to temp. Then im gonna mix up the salt as there is nothing in my tank yet , gonna be tricky mixing this with the sump running and what not. Currently have a hydrometer only :( its been accurate so far compared to my lfs refractometer.

Hydrometers are ok but definitely get a refractometer. I got one for $22 shipping included on Ebay. I have to check calibration every day I use it with ro water because I found if it sits for a day or longer it gets off some but no biggie. I've got plenty of ro water. I use one eye dropper for calibration and another for saltwater so my calibration, won't get off by salt residue

Ok so I built a stand for the lights. Still need to paint them, it rained all day today. I can raise it by sliding the side support pvc up and clamping it. Should raise about 2' safely. Also going to lower it overall by 5" first chance I get.

ForumRunner_20130331_204515.jpg

ForumRunner_20130331_204544.jpg

ForumRunner_20130331_204607.jpg

Back
Top Bottom