35gal reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some starfish are not reef safe their is a good app in the App Store if your using a phone or actually a couple that tell if they are reef safe or not!

Yeah like the chocolate chip variety are not reef safe. My question is more along the issue of over stocking my tank.

Most stars are on the invert list and they don't account for much more less a CUC

Elmo1287 said:
Most stars are on the invert list and they don't account for much more less a CUC

Exactly. I hate to even say it but starfish sometimes do better in overstocked tanks anyway. Having algae problems or excess detritus in a tank isn't bad on most starfish as long as their salinity and other water quality needs are met. Having a sea star in a super clean minimally stocked tank isn't always the best environment. I haven't always had the best luck with them other than sand stars, red serpent or green brittle stars. I haven't tried to keep many others except for 15 years ago.

That's great news! I've always wanted one. I'll do my research on the best species. The guy at my lfs said I should wait at least 6months before adding a starfish so there is enough for them to eat. Makes sense to me now. Mainly part of the CUC. Thank you all for your great advice!!!

Woah... I like this guy at your local shop. Not every fish room has informed and honest employes. You just made a better find than most people.

This is the best aquarium store in middle Tennessee. Aquatic Critter. They are all very knowledgeable and always helpful. Plus they have a spectacular selection of fish and coral. I definitely feel very lucky to live 10min from them.

So jealous. The one guy whose knowledge I value in the only half decent fish shop that's within an hour drive from me just bailed out. It's still a fine local shop but not first rate.

That's sad.
Internet purchasing is driving many fish stores out of business. I pay a little more for my supplies and equipment but that's what you have to do to keep businesses like this operating. Good people are hard to keep so they require a higher rate of pay. If everyone is getting their lights, skimmers, supplements and everything else it takes to keep a successful aquarium running off the internet this country will continue to loose these local businesses and staff we need to help us.
Sorry, I got carried away.

No, the shop is still there. They just lost their awesome fish guy. There are 5 pet stores that sell fish in the city and the one I'm talking about is definitely the most expensive. It's also the only one I buy livestock from unless they just can't get something in that I need. Couldn't agree more about spending money at places where they know what they're doing. It's always worth paying a bit more money to keep a nice shop going.

Well after several water changes I have my Ciano under control. I have been unsuccessful in catching the mantis shrimp. Just witnessed my citron goby taking bites out of my candy corals and frog spawn. This fish was supposedly reef safe. Haven't seen the bi-color blenny go after any coral lately. What should I do to distract them from eating the corals????

Place a peice of raw shrimp at the bottom of a mason jar the mantis should go into the jar to feed on it and not be able to get back out. If you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot

Place a peice of raw shrimp at the bottom of a mason jar the mantis should go into the jar to feed on it and not be able to get back out. If you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot

How should the jar be placed? On its side or opening at the top? Also, almost all my fish are small enough to get into the opening of a 12oz water bottle. I've cut the top off one and inverted it inside the bottle. Cut a smaller hole in the cap so my fish can't get in. I baited it with a small piece of frozen mysis shrimp. Haven't caught him with this set up yet. Caught 3 Cirolanids though.

apet66 said:
How should the jar be placed? On its side or opening at the top? Also, almost all my fish are small enough to get into the opening of a 12oz water bottle. I've cut the top off one and inverted it inside the bottle. Cut a smaller hole in the cap so my fish can't get in. I baited it with a small piece of frozen mysis shrimp. Haven't caught him with this set up yet. Caught 3 Cirolanids though.

Very clever!

Up and down top of jar up he shouldn't be able to climb the slick sides of the jar as there will be no algea growth for his legs to hang on to..... I'd buy a piece of raw shrimp from the grocery store FYI

Awesome advice, I will try it for sure! Have to get him out before he gets big enough to take on my fire shrimp. Thank you both for your help!!!

Well I woke up this morning to see my yellow watchman goby with half his dorsal fin missing. Someone has to go. Suspect my bicolor blenny is the culprit. If I wanted fish with tattered fins I would have set up another ciclid tank. Dang, I was looking forward to relaxing today.

The fin will grow back, so no worries there. I would remove the culprit if possible. My YWG and maroon clown fight from time to time and I have seen the same type of damage. Takes a couple weeks but it will be good as new.

Back
Top Bottom