35gal reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's my understanding too. Rowaphos also isn't dusty or dirty like some GFO can be, and it won't turn into a clumpy mass if it isn't treated just right like GFO. I'm not totally knocking trusty old GFO here. One is a basic economical phosphate absorbent and the other is a premium high end PO4 absorbent.

That's my understanding too. Rowaphos also isn't dusty or dirty like some GFO can be, and it won't turn into a clumpy mass if it isn't treated just right like GFO. I'm not totally knocking trusty old GFO here. One is a basic economical phosphate absorbent and the other is a premium high end PO4 absorbent.

Well said!

Great tank number one! Really love the corals. With that out of the way I'd like to add my opinion on a few things... So I'll begin.

IMO I wouldn't rinse anything with tap water. Yes salt and fresh have separate rules for the most part but ask yourself this...

You don't do water changes with tap water, you don't top off with tap water so... Why rinse your filters out in tap water only to introduce it into your tank? With that said. Carbon itself (alone) I don't run. I'd recommend purigen and chemi pure elite. Although along the same lines it has different ingredients and is far superior to carbon alone.

These can also be rinsed out in tank water. I do this routine once a week and you've all seen pictures and videos of my tank now over a year old and "knock on wood" not one issue to report.

Again these are all my own opinions and what works for me.

If you have a good maintenance schedule and do your weekly water changes I see no reason you can't rinse things in tank water.

I do agree that your rocks and sand will be home to most of your BB but I'd it were my tank I wouldn't chance it.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and great tank!

Great tank number one! Really love the corals. With that out of the way I'd like to add my opinion on a few things... So I'll begin.

IMO I wouldn't rinse anything with tap water. Yes salt and fresh have separate rules for the most part but ask yourself this...

You don't do water changes with tap water, you don't top off with tap water so... Why rinse your filters out in tap water only to introduce it into your tank? With that said. Carbon itself (alone) I don't run. I'd recommend purigen and chemi pure elite. Although along the same lines it has different ingredients and is far superior to carbon alone.

These can also be rinsed out in tank water. I do this routine once a week and you've all seen pictures and videos of my tank now over a year old and "knock on wood" not one issue to report.

Again these are all my own opinions and what works for me.

If you have a good maintenance schedule and do your weekly water changes I see no reason you can't rinse things in tank water.

I do agree that your rocks and sand will be home to most of your BB but I'd it were my tank I wouldn't chance it.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and great tank!

Thanks for the compliment on my tank.
I've read several different forums that have said filter pads in hob filters and canister filters are nitrate factorys, I've always rinsed the pads in tank water. I rinsed one of the two pads today in tap water then soaked it in a bucket of ro/di with dechlorinator to remove any chlorine. I will repeat this on both filter pads once I pick up the purigen.
I'm only trying to eliminate the nitrate which never seems to drop below 10. Usually closer to 20.
Imo as long as you rinse the filter pads in a solution of dechlorinator (prime) before putting them back in the filter you will allow the reef to do all the work and only use the filter for mechanical filtration.

I would never recommend anyone using carbon in a reef tank as it only elevated your phosphate levels. Were all trying our best to remove phosphates why introduce something that increases them.

Everybody has different cleaning schedules, lighting, inhabitants and on and on... Ask questions, and find what works best for your situation. Clean your tank regularly and enjoy what you created.

Great point about rinsing off the tap water. I always just did a final rinse in RO water but that's just because I have a spigot for it at the sink. Whatever removes the chlorine will work and your method is definitely better than mine. lol

Most sump or refugium systems use filter socks that loads of people send through a washing machine (without soap). Tap water is a given there.

:)
Everyone has to get to the same parameters but use different techniques to get there. That's what's cool about this hobby. I love hearing how other people get the end result of a happy aquarium and respect everyone's views. It helps all of us figure out how to be responsible aquarium keepers.

:)
Everyone has to get to the same parameters but use different techniques to get there. That's what's cool about this hobby. I love hearing how other people get the end result of a happy aquarium and respect everyone's views. It helps all of us figure out how to be responsible aquarium keepers.

+1 agree 100% nice post

Picked up 2 Nassarius snails today, 1hr slow drip acclamation and 10 min after putting them in the tank 1 vanished under the sand. Also went with AlGone to eliminate my nitrate. Coupled with a new feeding program I hope my nitrate stays at 0. Phosphate was less than .1 so the fresh Rowaphos did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom