40 breeder help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anovack

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

Being from cleveland and the cold winter around the corner and most time being inside. It is time to start a new build. I bought a 55gal but after seeing some of the members builds and other forums, I decided to go with a 40 breeder. I just had a couple questions.

The first being, what overflow box is recommended for a tank this size? I see on brs they have a nano overflow box and one rated for 60 gal? Kind of poor reviews on it saying they wished they went bigger. Any other suggestions?

What kind of plumbing have people used on there 40B? Looking at herbie plumbing.

Appreciate the comments and advice and will definitely be reaching out with my questions.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use a Glass-Holes 700GPH overflow on my breeder. I think its a bit loud, but that's just me.

What other plans do you have for your tank?

A loud tank is what I'm trying to avoid. Just doing some research on a herbie overflow system when the piped coming in horizontal into the box? Anyone that could share experience or insight is appreciated.

Carpenter brother is building a stand and thinking about a 20 long sump fuge and buying a overkill skimmer throw a controller on it and see if I can make it beautiful haha.

I'm a big fan of CPR's overflows for non-drilled tanks. They work great with an aqualifter ensuring that they don't loose siphon and cause an overflow. I would think the CS90, rated at 600gph, would do great on a 40. I run the CS100 on my 55 and I discovered that it sat lower than I'd like in my tank...though a drastic improvement over the CS50 that was on it from a prior build in terms of upgrading GPH.

Sniper I'm confused on what you use the aqualifter for? I thought that's just a dosing pump I thought. What your guys plumbing hard or soft?

It plugs into a nipple at the top of the overflow. It sucks the air out of the "U" to prevent any bubbles from forming and causing siphon loss, which can then cause an overflow of the display tank because the return pump won't know that siphon loss happened and will keep pumping water out of the sump and into the display.
I have done both hard and soft plumbing. I say PVC all the way. It is simple and not as hard as everyone thinks it is.

I definitely respect the use of those CPR overflows, but I would definitely drill the tank and install an overflow.

You can check out Building an Obsession. They are currently building me an overflow for my next tank. If you look at their store (I'll link to it below), you can order their standard overflow and plumb it with a Herbie or Beananimal method.

http://buildinganobsession.com/products/overflow-box

I appreciate the info on the cs90 sniper. Looking to drill just by personal preference.

Looking at a eheim or a sicce sub pump. If it's 10x the tank turn over on gph I'll go by that rule. I know I need to count on some head fall especially if I go pvc plumbing. Just not sure how much I need to take into affect.

I only have a 29 tall non drilled and a bc29 so this is going to be my adventure on a build of this calibre.

Really want to get finished by the new year because there is a huge frag swap by LEAR in the cleveland are feb 28th and want to have everything cycled and good to go so I can get a couple nice pieces.

For your drilled tank how big you go on the holes? What size diamond bit you Use?

I currently use an Eheim 3000 and don't have one complaint. It's quiet and you have the ability to adjust the flow rate. It seems like the Sicce pumps get good reviews as well. I also use pvc plumbing for my return and my overflow plumbing.

For my overflow, I use 1.5" pvc, but I only use one drain. If you are going to use the Herbie or BeanAnimal method, I think 1" would be enough (Don't quote me!), but I would research that further.

For my 1.5" bulkhead, I used a 2 3/8" glass hole saw. A 1" bulkhead uses a 1 3/4" hole saw.

What are you using for a sump?

Was looking at a 20 long and throwing some baffles in. I want a fuge and I know a lot of people on here swear by them but for only 40 gallons, 60 total water volume, I Was thinking of just throwing in a protein skimmer rated twice that and was thinking with a reactor of some sort I could be good. Do you have a fuge on yours?

Looking at stocking a couple sps (1-2) but mostly lps and a toadstool.

Was looking at a 20 long and throwing some baffles in. I want a fuge and I know a lot of people on here swear by them but for only 40 gallons, 60 total water volume, I Was thinking of just throwing in a protein skimmer rated twice that and was thinking with a reactor of some sort I could be good. Do you have a fuge on yours?

Looking at stocking a couple sps (1-2) but mostly lps and a toadstool.

Sorry, have been slacking on checking this forum. I went with a 29G tank for my sump. It made more sense to have the extra water volume. I did add a portion for a fuge. I don't count on it being the main nutrient export though.

Back
Top Bottom