56 gallon tap water used collum tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thought id add the tapwater just to stir debate.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110523_202411.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110523_202411.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 289
"I’ve seen many a time someone has said that there is nothing wrong with using tap water in their reef. At the beginning there is not much harm but as the tank gets older the tank accumulates more and more of these harmful compounds until finally the tank crashes and then the next thing you know someone is posting a thread asking why is my reef dead. I have seen it over and over. " This is straight out of Mike's (melosu) article about tap water that can be found here:

Tap Water in the Saltwater Reef

This paticular tank. Going on. 6 years i actually started it with my father . I have a 55 long and m in process of doing another 56 reef.

Yes with tap....and yes I've actually read that article a few times over.

i had a tank for 2 years 46G reef using tap water but this was in a different city the tap water here has too high phosphates

Yea its the one we had to frag to remove the brown slime... its actully a very pink color. I've been asked to frag it many times... my father and bought it with 3 heads on was first coral we bought.. not surehow many now. I think its the coral fenzy to be honest.

well i guess you must be doing something right your tank looks great

Thank you.. when i get more rock in august i wil post the new collum

My sole purpose was to show others its depends on where you live on quality of tap water... time and time again i see poeple vein blasted for using it .. in my area no one uses them.. in fact i hadn't heard of a ro / di unit untill i started visiting this online forum.. don't get me wrong im completly aware of the issues with tap water, however with bi weekly water change and suddle subtrate replenishing I've had no issues.

My sole purpose was to show others its depends on where you live on quality of tap water... time and time again i see poeple vein blasted for using it .. in my area no one uses them.. in fact i hadn't heard of a ro / di unit untill i started visiting this online forum.. don't get me wrong im completly aware of the issues with tap water, however with bi weekly water change and suddle subtrate replenishing I've had no issues.

ive beeen saying that for months lol

To each their own.. i just wish poeple would word it as in my area the practice is to use to use ro water or ro/di ....distilled what ever it maybe because of the quality of the tap water.. rather tap water being a big NO NO... not everyone gets their water from the same location .... best bet is for someone to join their local marine aquarium club and see what everyone else uses before proceeding with tap water.

To each their own.. i just wish poeple would word it as in my area the practice is to use to use ro water or ro/di ....distilled what ever it maybe because of the quality of the tap water.. rather tap water being a big NO NO... not everyone gets their water from the same location .... best bet is for someone to join their local marine aquarium club and see what everyone else uses before proceeding with tap water.

Yea exactly i agree its totally area dependent for instance in my area my water has phosphates pretty high so i know if i used it i would have problems so i had to get an ro unit

The problem is there is no way to know what is in your tap water exactly. With RODI there are no questions, better safe then sorry.

Purevil21 said:
The problem is there is no way to know what is in your tap water exactly. With RODI there are no questions, better safe then sorry.

Very good point indeed... but doesn't that sound better by saying better safe then sorry rather then flaming for using it

Lol, I have never torched anyone for tap, but I know some that do. I used it in my first two tanks, then started to have issues. Swapped to RODI and all has been good since. It is really luck of the draw depending on what is in your local water.

Back
Top Bottom