72 Gallon Half Round

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyphoto

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thought I would start a tank thread. This is my first saltwater tank. I have dreamed of one since I was a kid.

Tanks Specs
Started on 1/4/1013

Lights
Coralife
150 Watt 14000K Metal Halide Bulb and 2
AquaticLife 65 Watt 420/460NM Dual Actinic

Rock
15# Fugi Base Rock
30# Pukani Dry Rock
30# Reef Saver Dry
15# Manado Live Rock

Flow
Tunze 6025 nano stream
Vortec MP10ES

As of today April 22, 2013 Livestock:

Yellow Watchman Goby
Sixline Wrasse

Pistol shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp

2 Emerald Crab

Pulsing Xenia
Green Button Polyps
Frogspawn (I think it is Crystal)
Hammer
Encrusting Monti (not sure the exact type this LFS not great at giving it to you straight)

Several types of snails
IMG_9780.jpg
IMG_4229.jpg

it looks AWESOME! I am starting my first saltwater tank as well soon! it's only a ten gallon since I am taking it to college, but I was wondering if you have any advice for me based on your expirience?

10 gallons is going to be harder than larger tanks. Stay on top of your water changes and you have to make sure you top off the water to avoid salinity swings. I don't think I could do a 10 because it needs to be monitored a lot. Even my 72 requires a lot of monitoring. They say the biocubes are good for less gallons to start. I have no idea. Research before you do anything has helped me a lot. Also be carful were you get advice. Even a couple LFS here will tell you anything to make a sale. I read forums on different sights and see what problems and how others have fixed them.

thanks! yeah I know it will be a lot of work but I hope I can pull it off. I will look into bio cubes.

I spent a lot of time wondering and looking up different rock choices. Thought it would be good to share some pics so others can see what they might get.

Pukani Dry 30#
Reef Saver 30#
Both from Bulk Reef Supply
IMG_0739.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0744.jpg

Manado

Manado Live Rock 15#
Premium Aquatics

IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg

I am really happy with the dry rock it is what I was wanting in how it looked. Fits together like a puzzle.

The Manado I had to wait a couple weeks to get it after I ordered. They didn't get their shipment in. It was pretty much straight out of the ocean. The colors are great green, different purples on it. It is a lot more solid then I had imagined and bulky. It is kinda growing on me since it is different shape than my dry rock. I was expecting a little different in the shape though. I think it would have had more life on it but it was shipped in a huge cold snap here and was on the ups truck all day. Was packaged well so it saved it from total wipe out.

Decided to try the it2040 led on my tank. My mh was going out. I love the look. Will post on how my corals like the light as I go.

image-2665464684.jpg

image-2111639933.jpg

image-1376728770.jpg

A few more pics from today with new lights. Everything is responding well today except my monti.

image-3028722672.jpg

image-3005825000.jpg

image-1884100132.jpg

image-31803737.jpg

image-10563517.jpg

Thanks, he was grey when I bought him but has colored up nicely.

Never by a six line wrasse! Mine was super aggressive couldnt add anything to the tank without it trying to kill it. Very smart fish wouldn't act out unless it thought I was out of the room then it would stalk and ram the other fish. You can catch them without tearing your tank apart. Never again. Sadly I had to go out of town for a job and can't watch my tank closely to nurse the other fish back to health if needed.

I have a six line and he hides all day and doesnt bother any of the other fish. This just goes to show that some have different personalities than others.

I have a six line and he hides all day and doesnt bother any of the other fish. This just goes to show that some have different personalities than others.

He was a cool fish. Very pretty and fun to watch. He was one of the first fish added... that could have been part of the problem. Still learned a lesson even though I do research I need to dig a little deeper on all purchases.

Updated tank pic. Also two clowns bought off ebay. Description and pics were different then what was received. They were healthy so didn't go through the hassle of sending back.

Attachments

• IMG_8661 1.jpg
    IMG_8661 1.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_8685 1.jpg
    IMG_8685 1.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_8681 1.jpg
    IMG_8681 1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 222
Kinda wish my tank wasn't a half round. It it is hard to photograph with the distortion.

Attachments

• IMG_9228 1.jpg
    IMG_9228 1.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 242
Your black and white clown almost looks like the digital camo print. Nice fish and tank.

New picture of the tank. A McCoskers Wrasse added along with a Green Gandarin. A hand full of new coral. Bought a Flame Angle that didn't make it.

Attachments

• IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 201
Back
Top Bottom