amazing jap tank pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful pics, thanks for reminding me why I got in marine tanks. Just another few years of experience and I should be able to piece together something nice like that. Maybe :D

In one of the pics in the first thread i noticed that one of the reef tanks had a Singapore Angel in the tank. This is one of my favorite fish but I was under the impression that they were not reef safe. Is this just like most angels where it is hit or miss with corals?

I think he means the tanks at too clean looking. Too much perfection can make something look like it lacks life :)

scuba_steve said:
right ! my only issue with the tanks is that they look to sterile to me :)

It's because they don't let the coraline grow on the walls. They do have some nice looking tanks. Also notice the different kind of lights they use on their reefs.

It's amazing the difference between their tanks and ours...so the question really is....

What are we doing wrong?

BTW, can someone quickly sum up the differences in lighting between our systems and theirs?

yes i like the looks of coralline myself ! but the sand also looked to white to me ! which to most of the people surprise they were using a deep sand bed :)
but the japs if ya noticed have alot of light over their tanks !! allot of 150 watt mh spot light which we are just now getting here in the states ! but using the spot lights you can use different color bulbs which will bring out some of the colors that you wouldnt be able to under our current ways of lighting !
here is a few link of the new mh spot light that you will see allot more of on reef tanks :)

http://www.eyelighting.com/colorhid.html

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=icespotpend

the spot bulbs are what your looking for :)

also the japs dont like coralline ! so they keep their ca levels lower and salinity alittle lower as well :)

tripper as for the angel ! my guess it that they have so many corals that it really cant hurt any one coral ! but im sure it picks on them for sure :)

scuba_steve said:
but using the spot lights you can use different color bulbs which will bring out some of the colors that you wouldnt be able to under our current ways of lighting !

I've seen some pics where they use multiple different colored bulbs like blue, yellow, red, and green. It really makes the corals look nice but doesn't represent it's true colors.

rocket i wouldnt really say were doing anything wrong ! but the japs look at things different than us ! look at what they do with their gardens ! so buy researching lighting on corals they have found better ways to light them so you see more color out of them ! thats all really ! imo ya can have a tank like that with 250 watt lights but not so much of the color as if ya used the spot lights on certain ones to bring the color out :)

klam mabe not but it looks a hell of alot better imo ! and the corals look good as well !
it like putting a new paint job on your car ! it looks better right ? as long as the coral isnt hurt why not imo

I am just wondering how they are getting such great Coral Growth! Thats something we really struggle with here and it seems that there are alot of people over there with amazing growth. (especially the hard corals)

How do you supose they keep their sand so clean? Do they turn it over by hand often? I see no signs of hermit crabs or snails in any of the pics.

well the one site shows i guess whats in one of the tank which he has some hermits !
http://www.poe-poe.com/
they must either syphon it ! or were not looking at that old of a tank ! was kinda confused on that myself :-/ why i said it looked sterile to me ! like some one just won the lotto and bought the largest corals and just set the tank up heheh
as for growth has to be all lighting look at this pic i count 6 lights ! and lets say they are all 150 wall mh but with different colors to them ! thats alot more than most of us use ! thats alot of light ! and i guess why ya cant have a canopy :)

scuba_steve said:
they must either syphon it ! or were not looking at that old of a tank ! was kinda confused on that myself :-/ why i said it looked sterile to me ! like some one just won the lotto and bought the largest corals and just set the tank up heheh

I know, they look like brand new tanks that were just loaded with everything in the LFS. the tanks do not look old at all. They look like 2 week old tanks at the most. even their equipment looks brand new.

Probibly that insane Japanese emphasis on perfection that makes their archetecture, rock gardens, electroncs, and cars so great.

The word "jap" or "japs" is seen as a derogatory word by most Japanese/ Japanese-Americans. Please refrain from using such words.

Back
Top Bottom